Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Question re Europa Qualification - Group Stage

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We cannot play any other English side until the QF stages.

Thanks so we're guaranteed at least one more trip.
However, I can't actually see anything that says we can't be drawn against a team from our own group. So, for instance, we win the group and are seeded in the last 16. Marseille win their play-off match against a 3rd placed CL team. I think we could then draw Marseille again?

In fact it happened last year with USG and Union Berlin.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Are Rangers not in the draw? OK, not England but not really sur le continent.
IMG_3648.jpeg

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
are you sure ? I was sure I read somewhere we could play English team or Marseille again from the round of 16? just want to double check i was wrong
We could play Marseille again in the last 16 (as referenced above USG & Union Berlin met in the last 16 last season after being in the same group), but we cannot face another English side until the QF.

I’ve taken the following from last seasons Europa League Wikipedia page (this seasons hasn’t been updated for the knock-out stage yet but the format remains the same).

In the knockout phase, teams played against each other over two legs on a home-and-away basis, except for the one-match final. The mechanism of the draws for each round was as follows:

• In the draw for the knockout round play-offs, the eight group runners-up were seeded, and the eight Champions League group third-placed teams were unseeded. The seeded teams were drawn against the unseeded teams, with the seeded teams hosting the second leg. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.
  • In the draw for the round of 16, the eight group winners were seeded, and the eight winners of the knockout round play-offs were unseeded. Again, the seeded teams were drawn against the unseeded teams, with the seeded teams hosting the second leg. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.
  • In the draws for the quarter-finals onwards, there were no seedings, and teams from the same association could be drawn against each other. As the draws for the quarter-finals and semi-finals were held together before the quarter-finals were played, the identity of the quarter-final winners was not known at the time of the semi-final draw. A draw was also held to determine which semi-final winner would be designated as the "home" team for the final (for administrative purposes as it was played at a neutral venue).

Last edited:

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
We could play Marseille again in the last 16 (as referenced above USG & Union Berlin met in the last 16 last season after being in the same group), but we cannot face another English side until the QF.

I’ve taken the following from last seasons Europa League Wikipedia page (this seasons hasn’t been updated for the knock-out stage yet but the format remains the same).

In the knockout phase, teams played against each other over two legs on a home-and-away basis, except for the one-match final. The mechanism of the draws for each round was as follows:

• In the draw for the knockout round play-offs, the eight group runners-up were seeded, and the eight Champions League group third-placed teams were unseeded. The seeded teams were drawn against the unseeded teams, with the seeded teams hosting the second leg. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.
  • In the draw for the round of 16, the eight group winners were seeded, and the eight winners of the knockout round play-offs were unseeded. Again, the seeded teams were drawn against the unseeded teams, with the seeded teams hosting the second leg. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.
  • In the draws for the quarter-finals onwards, there were no seedings, and teams from the same association could be drawn against each other. As the draws for the quarter-finals and semi-finals were held together before the quarter-finals were played, the identity of the quarter-final winners was not known at the time of the semi-final draw. A draw was also held to determine which semi-final winner would be designated as the "home" team for the final (for administrative purposes as it was played at a neutral venue).
Brilliant that is great help - Cheers

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This playoff round really makes a mockery of the whole competition.
- Why should CL teams get a chance in another competition? Finishing 3rd in a group of 4 should end your European journey.
- Why should you have to play an extra round of fixtures compared to the group winners? That's far too much of an advantage.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The draw for the “Round of 16” is on 23rd Feb, just 12 days before the first leg. Not much time to sort tickets/travel etc.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The draw for the “Round of 16” is on 23rd Feb, just 12 days before the first leg. Not much time to sort tickets/travel etc.
And if we win on Thursday, we will definitely be away on that first leg, too.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This playoff round really makes a mockery of the whole competition.
- Why should CL teams get a chance in another competition? Finishing 3rd in a group of 4 should end your European journey.
- Why should you have to play an extra round of fixtures compared to the group winners? That's far too much of an advantage.
I agree the drop-down thing is shit - both 3rd placed CL down to EL, and equally 3rd place EL down to ECL. I've said so earlier in this thread, and I'm pleased they are scrapping that after this season.

There's nothing unfair about it, though. So long as the rules of any competition (however unusual they are) are published and understood and accepted before the thing starts, there can't be any real complaints.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Am i right in saying

If we win the group, the round 16 away game will be 7th March

If we come 2nd in the group, the play-off away leg will be 22nd Feb

If we win the play-off game then the round 16 away game will be 14th March

Just trying to work out when i may need to book leave

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Am i right in saying

Me at work if they even think about refusing 'European Tour European Tour' leave

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
NOT THIS AGAIN

PLEASE make it stop

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Indeed.

But what if we come second in the group, and Lose the play-off. Do we drop into the JPT / Bristol Street Motors Trophy?
The endless discussion of our UEL group permutations has almost made me fall out of love with football.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Am i right in saying

You are correct except we'd be away on Feb 15th and Home Feb 22nd in the play off round if we finish second in the group.

Last edited:

Oct 16, 2008
Am i right in saying

If we come 2nd in the group then we would be seeded in the play-off, so at home in second leg on 22nd Feb I think?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here