Question re: Bloom getting his money back

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

TB is an Albion fan, he WANTS to the club to compete in the Premier League. If all he was interested in was money then he would never have spunked £150m (aka half a Zaha to our friends up the road) of his hard earned in the club in the first place.

IF we get promoted, then the aim will be to consolidate the playing position in that division, and to achieve that requires serious spending. Southampton spent £36.5 million in the year they went up on Ramirez, Forren, Yoshida, Mayuku, Gazzinaga, Clyne, Davis and Rodriquez. This summer they have spent a further £34.8 million on Osvaldo, Wanyama and Lovren.

Add on the wages of those players, plus the bonuses for promotion and staying up to the existing squad, and you are left with very little to repay to an owner, even if he wants his money back (which Bloom repeatedly has said he doesn't).

The only directors who have profited from dealings with the Albion are Chapman and Comer, who have charged the Albion over £2 million in relation to the Amex for work undertaken by Adenstar.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
People seem to be massively overestimating how easy it is for premier league clubs to make money. Costs go up vastly and most clubs still run at a loss. The idea that we'd suddenly have loads of money for Tony to put back in his pocket is obsurd.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is an argument that the club provides a safe shelter for his money during an economically turbulent time.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
TB is an Albion fan, he WANTS to the club to compete in the Premier League. If all he was interested in was money then he would never have spunked £150m (aka half a Zaha to our friends up the road) of his hard earned in the club in the first place.

IF we get promoted, then the aim will be to consolidate the playing position in that division, and to achieve that requires serious spending. Southampton spent £36.5 million in the year they went up on Ramirez, Forren, Yoshida, Mayuku, Gazzinaga, Clyne, Davis and Rodriquez. This summer they have spent a further £34.8 million on Osvaldo, Wanyama and Lovren.

Add on the wages of those players, plus the bonuses for promotion and staying up to the existing squad, and you are left with very little to repay to an owner, even if he wants his money back (which Bloom repeatedly has said he doesn't).

The only directors who have profited from dealings with the Albion are Chapman and Comer, who have charged the Albion over £2 million in relation to the Amex for work undertaken by Adenstar.
Good points and I totally agree that's why I quoted 30-40 million bearing in mind its an extra 25-30 million via the play offs. Personally as an investor I would of thought that would of been a fair sum to reclaim if it had happened.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, neither do I, but it would be good to know what contingencies are in place for when he passes away, for example.

Edit. I do remember reading in "We want Falmer", that the money for the build of the stadium was ringfenced just in case he was run over by a bus - no-one other than the club could touch it.

He said that in a Fans Forum soon after taking over the club. The owner of Southampton had just died, and someone asked him that very question. The money is ring fenced and he said he wanted BHA to have a stadium fully paid for and functioning, not just for his children but for over 100 years.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
He said that in a Fans Forum soon after taking over the club. The owner of Southampton had just died, and someone asked him that very question. The money is ring fenced and he said he wanted BHA to have a stadium fully paid for and functioning, not just for his children but for over 100 years.

It should be mandatory when any one of us sees TB to do a massive :bowdown:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
What % does he own in the club? And when did we remove the clause that said no one could own more than 49.9%? Did that go with Knight too?

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
What worries me is that wasn't 12,000 supposed to be the break even figure before we moved? Yet with 25,000 we cant bteak even ! Someone got the sums wrong but in Tony i trust .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What % does he own in the club? And when did we remove the clause that said no one could own more than 49.9%? Did that go with Knight too?

Knight had no choice. The nation's financial situation meant that the banks weren't lending money.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not knocking TB or his ownership of the club but I thought, like many, that it was in the articles of the club that no 1 man could ever own BHA FC again following Archer.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What worries me is that wasn't 12,000 supposed to be the break even figure before we moved? Yet with 25,000 we cant bteak even ! Someone got the sums wrong but in Tony i trust .

The 12k break even figure was based on the stadium costing £54M but with the increase in the price of steel and construction costs the figure quickly rose to £93M. I think that in addition to that TB raised the spec in the corporate and hospitality areas before the stadium actually opened and with the 8,000 seat expansion we could be looking at a stadium that was fully completed 6 months ago costing in the region of £115M.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There is an argument that the club provides a safe shelter for his money during an economically turbulent time.

That argument can only come from someone who is financially insane though.

First of all TB has underwritten the Albion's operational losses for the last few years at Withers and the first two seasons at the Amex. That comes to about £30 million, which he can never get back as it went on Ryan Harley's wages.

Secondly the money spent on the stadium is by the club, rather than TB. He can only get it back if the club has the cash to repay him, and as it makes losses each year, then the only alternative is to sell the stadium to a third party. The ground has ZERO value as anything other than as a sports stadium, and so it is very difficult to see who would ever pay £100million plus to buy it from the club.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Good points and I totally agree that's why I quoted 30-40 million bearing in mind its an extra 25-30 million via the play offs. Personally as an investor I would of thought that would of been a fair sum to reclaim if it had happened.

Under the new TV deal, the BOTTOM club in the PL (i.e Palace) are guaranteed £63 million from TV money, and that is before parachute payments the following four years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports