Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question re: Bloom getting his money back

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't think anyone of Bloom's obvious intelligence would invest in a football club to make money, he has invested to make sure the Club is in a healthy state in the future. The only problem with the benefactor approach is it works fine as long as (a) Bloom is in good financial state and (b) he continues to love the Club. Blooms has already admitted that he has made a financial commitment bigger then he would have liked to owing to the financial crisis.

The other worry is the size of our debts, there's no chance that Bloom will ever see that money back, Premier League or no. As a professional gambler, however, I'm sure Bloom has weighed these odds up and found that they are long, even for us to make it to the Premier League what with teams coming down with parachute payments . He wouldn't have gone in to this expecting to make his money back.

It is clear that if Bloom wanted to make money there would have been a number of sounder investments to put his (what must be approaching) £150m in.

I do know there are other investment projects that are being looked at which will make money for Bloom/BHAFC linked with the Stadium all of that should come clear in coming months.

Found one...

View attachment 47340

The White area at the South end of the stadium represents a large expanse of roughly South facing space that could have been covered in photovoltaic cells without affecting the light getting to the pitch. I'm sure solar tech is now able to provide flat coverings of cells without the need for those square blocks you see on houses nowadays.

Looks like a good area for solar panels to me too. Other methods of renewable energy that could be used at the stadium and thus save the Albion money are:

Air Source Heat Pumps
Ground Source Heat Pumps
Wind Turbine

Plus there is micro-generation technology too:

Micro CHP

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Considering the stadium was only built just over two years ago I cannot understand why there was never any renewable energy included within the plans for the stadium.
Because the renewable energy available is rubbish, and loss making?

a 'gift' to the people of Brighton and Hove, and fans of their football club, some of whom are ungrateful scrotes.
Indeed they are. We are so so lucky that TB is a fan, a fan prepared to bank-roll the club. We'll be forever in his debt.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Looks like a good area for solar panels to me too. Other methods of renewable energy that could be used at the stadium and thus save the Albion money are:

Air Source Heat Pumps
Ground Source Heat Pumps
Wind Turbine

Plus there is micro-generation technology too:

Micro CHP

Wind turbines are expensive and not cost effective.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't think anyone of Bloom's obvious intelligence would invest in a football club to make money, he has invested to make sure the Club is in a healthy state in the future. The only problem with the benefactor approach is it works fine as long as (a) Bloom is in good financial state and (b) he continues to love the Club. Blooms has already admitted that he has made a financial commitment bigger then he would have liked to owing to the financial crisis.

The other worry is the size of our debts, there's no chance that Bloom will ever see that money back, Premier League or no. As a professional gambler, however, I'm sure Bloom has weighed these odds up and found that they are long, even for us to make it to the Premier League what with teams coming down with parachute payments . He wouldn't have gone in to this expecting to make his money back.

It is clear that if Bloom wanted to make money there would have been a number of sounder investments to put his (what must be approaching) £150m in.

I do know there are other investment projects that are being looked at which will make money for Bloom/BHAFC linked with the Stadium all of that should come clear in coming months.

This is why Bloom champions the FFP, otherwise he would be sure to lose money and would be forced to sell. He hasn't got a bottomless money pit and losing £8-£20m a year is unsustainable no matter how well he may be.

He will always get his money back for the club and the stadium so it is just controlling the losses with breaking even would be the perfect scenario.

Will be interesting to hear of these other projects you mention, are they outside Falmer?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is why Bloom champions the FFP, otherwise he would be sure to lose money and would be forced to sell. He hasn't got a bottomless money pit and losing £8-£20m a year is unsustainable no matter how well he may be.

He will always get his money back for the club and the stadium so it is just controlling the losses with breaking even would be the perfect scenario.

Will be interesting to hear of these other projects you mention, are they outside Falmer?

I also feel that Bloom will be able to get his money back long term should he want to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think so. Art, rare books etc are appreciating assets and therefore can be sold in an active market. A sports stadium in the Sussex Downs has no such benefit to a rich person.

Also remember that even under FFP Bloom is subsidising the club to the tune of £5-6 million a year.

“The idea that these [football] clubs are going to be yielding assets, as in paying a dividend every year, is not the way they work. But from a capital growth point of view they can make sense,” says Deloitte’s Mr. Jones. “To an extent, they are a rare asset, just like a fine art painting, classic car or a collection of fine wines. Their scarcity and desirability gives them intrinsic value for interested purchasers.”

Liverpool University’s Dr. Miller concurs. “As long as a football club keeps performing on the pitch at the same level as when you bought it, then it will hold value and likely increase its value. It’s a long-term asset that you hope will appreciate.”

Buying a Championship club and going for promotion to the Premier League can also be a strategy for making money out of owning a football club, says Warwick University’s Prof. Grant. “But that club will need a good catchment area that has a fan base that can be expanded, a modern stadium and a team with potential,” he adds.

As I have said; I really do think the idea that Bloom has written off 100m/cannot get his money back is way too simplistic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you think that anyone would give TB £150 million for the Albion?

What I think is largely irrelevant. I did not think anyone would want to buy Championship team Hull for £40m, Andy Carroll for £50m, Crystal Palace (less all capital including ground) for £9m, Adam Virgo for £1.5m etc etc but someone did. I'll say no....and most likely be proved wrong like I often am in football. I really am not a good judge of such things.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What I think is largely irrelevant. I did not think anyone would want to buy Championship team Hull for £40m, Andy Carroll for £50m, Crystal Palace (less all capital including ground) for £9m, Adam Virgo for £1.5m etc etc but someone did. I'll say no....and most likely be proved wrong like I often am in football. I really am not a good judge of such things.

Tony Bloom didn't put £150 million into the Albion to make money, he did it because he is a local lad and loves the club. If you or I had that type of resource I expect we would do the same. The reward TB gets is not financial, it is the pleasure of seeing the Albion do well on the pitch, and the KUDOS of knowing that he does done an amazing feat for the fans and the area.

Every time I see the Amex it still makes my jaw drop, can't say that with some of the soulless boxes that many teams play in. Just a shame that the atmosphere is a bit 'meh' most of the time, but that is due to an ageing spectator base and all seater stadia, like most other clubs at a similar level.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tony Bloom didn't put £150 million into the Albion to make money, he did it because he is a local lad and loves the club. If you or I had that type of resource I expect we would do the same. The reward TB gets is not financial, it is the pleasure of seeing the Albion do well on the pitch, and the KUDOS of knowing that he does done an amazing feat for the fans and the area.

Every time I see the Amex it still makes my jaw drop, can't say that with some of the soulless boxes that many teams play in. Just a shame that the atmosphere is a bit 'meh' most of the time, but that is due to an ageing spectator base and all seater stadia, like most other clubs at a similar level.

I agree with all of this. But as stated I also do not see a strong case that he has simply written the money off. It will be there in the long term if he wants it back.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It will be there in the long term if he wants it back.

I'm not convinced there is someone with £150m in their back pocket (and this is increasing by about £5m a year for the forseesable future) who wants to buy the Albion. It could be that if we are promoted and establish ourselves then someone could come in, as the PL TV deals are attractive, but it would be cheaper for any person wanting to make a quick buck to buy a different club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here