Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Queens Honours List

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was unaware of any of his charity work and just saw him as a mediocre actor. GB is renowned for his charity work, perhaps by self promotion granted, but none the less achieved great success on whatever he has done.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Tony Blair:whistle:

I know it was said in jest and personally I think Blair is a war criminal but it is very strange he doesn't have a knighthood when John Major does. After all he's our longest serving PM

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I know it was said in jest and personally I think Blair is a war criminal but it is very strange he doesn't have a knighthood when John Major does. After all he's our longest serving PM

I am suprised he doesn't as well as he is the sort of twunt who would want one. I am always quite sad when a Labour politician either agrees to receiving a knighthood, or, even worse, takes the ermine, hypocrisy of the highest order

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I wouldn't knight Beckham.

Always get the impression with him there is some kind of ulterior publicity motive with everything he does. Great that charities do benefit but I'm suspicious that this is the secondary benefit to his constant need to be seen.

Also wish he's spend less time p*ssing around in the US trying to buy a US soccer franchise no one wants and put a bit more time and effort into helping the game in the UK.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Charity work and promoted our great country but wouldn't expect a forum consisting of mainly left wingers and students past or present to respect that. Normal everyday working people could see the good they have done and wouldn't pose the question.

Why would you bring political persuasion into it as if it adds weight or credence to your opinion?

It's probably safe to say that I inhabit the left more than the right and I absolutely believe that Beckham, in the fullness of time, should be knighted. He's done a stupid amount of good already and I'm sure he'll continue to do so for a long time. I also, in case you were wondering, work full time. Look at that, turned out at massive generalisation was wrong. Shocker.

ANYWAY; other than Beckham, I can't think of many that I'd name, I'm sure they'll come to me as soon as I post this though...hmm.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Charity work and promoted our great country but wouldn't expect a forum consisting of mainly left wingers and students past or present to respect that. Normal everyday working people could see the good they have done and wouldn't pose the question.

Why would you bring political persuasion into it as if it adds weight or credence to your opinion?

It's probably safe to say that I inhabit the left more than the right and I absolutely believe that Beckham, in the fullness of time, should be knighted. He's done a stupid amount of good already and I'm sure he'll continue to do so for a long time. I also, in case you were wondering, work full time. Look at that, turned out a sweeping, judgemental, generalisation was wrong. Shocker.

ANYWAY; other than Beckham, I can't think of many that I'd name, I'm sure they'll come to me as soon as I post this though...hmm.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I wouldn't knight Beckham.

Always get the impression with him there is some kind of ulterior publicity motive with everything he does. Great that charities do benefit but I'm suspicious that this is the secondary benefit to his constant need to be seen.

Also wish he's spend less time p*ssing around in the US trying to buy a US soccer franchise no one wants and put a bit more time and effort into helping the game in the UK.

Don't really disagree regarding the US franchise bit but hey, his choice and I guess we've enough (ex)players here that could weigh in whenever they wanted, it's just they seemingly choose not to (at least to a noticeable degree).

I used to think the same about the publicity side of things but after a while I decided that, being Beckham, pretty much everything he does now generates a headline in some gossip column, regardless of whether he wants it to or not. I actually suspect the fame side for him has now become entirely self-sustaining and he's just living life as he wishes.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lord Enrest of Arse

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't agree with the Honours system, but if I had to put a name forward this year that was deserving of an (posthumous) award it would be Alan Henning (aid worker who lost his life brutally in Syria)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'd give Sir David Attenbrough a wing of a palace or stately home of his choice. Hell, he couod have the Queen's room.

It's always struck me as odd that, fine Director that he undoubtedly was, it was David's brother, Dickie, who got the Peerage. If we're going to have an honours system, and I proffer no view one way or the other, surely David Attenborough deserves a spot at the very pinnacle?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here