Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Queens Honours List

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
The honours list fell into disrepute many years ago, so who cares who a bunch of faceless civil servants prompted by their political masters choose. I know there are some honourable exceptions for people who have really contributed to society but it is still largely a club for the rich and famous to have their already inflated egos boosted further.

This !

Knighthoods are two a penny now and only a few people deserve it . You see an ex-politician being interviewed and he is a Sir and you just think who the f--k is that ! Come on Queenie get the knighthoods back to a respectable level of quality .

If anyone I would like to see Michael Palin get one , given me loads of pleasure over the years !

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The honours list fell into disrepute many years ago, so who cares who a bunch of faceless civil servants prompted by their political masters choose. I know there are some honourable exceptions for people who have really contributed to society but it is still largely a club for the rich and famous to have their already inflated egos boosted further.

Agree.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Me, I've sold raffle tickets over the years for loads of causes, been gainfully employed all my working life, never sexually assaulted anything, animal, mineral or vegetable, I don't moan too much about the Royals even tho I don't agree with the system. I reckon I deserve one as much as most of the crawly bumlicks who do get them, and it would get me in the papers when I turned it down

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I can understand the suggestion of Gary Barlow or David Beckham for a knighthood but why Stephen Fry what has he ever done out of the ordinary, nothing that I know of.

What have Barlow or Beckham ever done out of the ordinary?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
They really ought to give Robbie Earl an OBE then he'd be Robbie Earlobe.

I'd like that to happen.

Apologies for being horribly pedantic but his name is Robbie Earle, so it'd be Robbie Earleobe, which doesn't quite work as well.

I'll get my coat now, shall I?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Seriously, Beckham. England Caps, England Captain, great work with UNICEF, great ambassadorial work for World Cup & Olympics, great charity support across the charitable spectrum, .... other than that sat on his arse enjoying his riches, come on, I'm not saying you have to like the guy but I do respect what he's done with his fame for the greater good.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Seriously, Beckham. England Caps, England Captain, great work with UNICEF, great ambassadorial work for World Cup & Olympics, great charity support across the charitable spectrum, .... other than that sat on his arse enjoying his riches, come on, I'm not saying you have to like the guy but I do respect what he's done with his fame for the greater good.

My apologies, I realised my error in that sense after I posted.

Surely Sir David is inevitable and rightly so, although hopefully more for his charity work.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Charity work and promoted our great country but wouldn't expect a forum consisting of mainly left wingers and students past or present to respect that. Normal everyday working people could see the good they have done and wouldn't pose the question.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Charity work and promoted our great country but wouldn't expect a forum consisting of mainly left wingers and students past or present to respect that. Normal everyday working people could see the good they have done and wouldn't pose the question.

What an odd retort, but then you are a very odd man.

I admitted above my error in including Beckham in my original question, but I still maintain that Gary Barlow is undeserving of a knighthood, or at least no more deserving of one than Stephen Fry, the suggestion of whose name you found it very easy to discard in spite of his own work for charity. Perhaps you feel that Gary Barlow's tax dodging is the way our 'great country' ought to be promoted?

Oh, and for the record I am a normal everyday working person - just one who lives in the 21st century rather than the early 20th as you frequently appear to.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Following on from a post I've just made in the "what are you reading thread" it's made me think - who in your mind deserves an honour in the Queens Honours List? Who hasn't been knighted that you think could deserve one?!

My vote goes to Stephen Fry, maybe it might also be time for Sir Gary Barlow?!

Also thing that some of our own should be up for a gong of some sort - Gareth Glover OBE and Brett Mendoza OBE for their services to REMF?!

Sir Gary Barlow? Do you mean the singer from Take That or is there another one? If you do mean the Take That singer, well. I'll just say that unless he's done something outside music of which I am not aware I don't agree with you. Quite strongly. Robbie Williams deserves one more than Barlow does.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
On the subject of nominations as well, assuming that the person I'm going to suggest is the kind of person BG deems suitable for a normal everyday working person to mention, surely there has to be a very strong case for Sir Stephen Hawking?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Far from being an odd man I am an old fashioned man who respects values and traditions and acknowledging those that deserve it..

So again comes the question, what has Gary Barlow done 'out of the ordinary' that Stephen Fry hasn't done to deserve a knighthood in your opinion?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here