QUEEN - back on tour

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
bigc said:
what bits were good?

The best bit was when Elizabeth Taylor came on. Someone shouted "get your tits out liz" and some scandivian queen fans proceeded to throw things at a Freddie Mercury look-a-like that they had mis-identified as the culprit.

Personally I enjoyed Liza Minelli.

Liza enjoyed it too.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
bigc said:
i meant musically

lol

There was a lot of dross and the sound wasn't very good in the stadium. We didn't even realise that George Michael had a gospel choir with him.

To be honest - beyond Liza Minelli and George Micheal the queen stuff sang by other artists was very disappointing.

Highlights were Bowie singing "Heroes", and Bowie and Ian Hunter (Mott The Hoople) singing the Bowie written song "All The Young Dudes"

Tie Your Mother down is always good, even when Brian May sings it.

I used to a massive queen fan as a boy and was even in the official fan club !

But got into "Indie" music into my teens.

But to be honest I can't stand anything after the early 80s now. They lost it when the synths came and became a bit lazy I think.

Its hard to believe that a band which penned "Its Late", "Sail Away Sweet Sister", etc ended doing stuff like "I'm the invisible man"

Have recently been listening to their early stuff again - its rocktastic :lolol:

Have you ever heard the Brian May Starfleet Project ? :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

.. or Roger Taylor band The Cross (they were crap)

I've still got Roger Taylor first 2 solo albums somewhere.

"people say it should never happen here, but this is a strange frontier"

:lolol: :lolol: Sounds like the Lewes/Brighton border at Falmer

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
clapham_gull said:
I've still got Roger Taylor first 2 solo albums somewhere.

"people say it should never happen here, but this is a strange frontier"

:lolol: :lolol: Sounds like the Lewes/Brighton border at Falmer

Roger's solo stuff seems a bit patchy - Strange Frontier is great, especially the Springsteen song, but Fun In Space is utter gash. Electric Fire somewhere in the middle.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
clapham_gull said:
I saw the Cross live as well on their first tour

Blimey cg, next you'll be telling us you've got all of Anita Dobson's EastEnders appearances on VHS... or a May/Dobson bubble perm!
:D

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Cheeky Monkey said:
Blimey cg, next you'll be telling us you've got all of Anita Dobson's EastEnders appearances on VHS... or a May/Dobson bubble perm!
:D

I'm extrememly ashamed about the whole thing. I saw Nirvana, Suede and the Manics all live in their early years. Does that make up for it ?

I've almost completely lost interest in music these days - The Streets and The Spice Girls are exactly the same thing sold in a different way in my opinion. The only thing that gets me going is a bit of Billy Bragg.

Last edited:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I saw Queen at Wembley '85, supported by INXS, The Alarm, and Quo. Next to Queen, The Alarm were the band of the day.

I really enjoyed the day, and the next morning on the paper train!

However, I cannot wait for Paul Rogers to be with May and Taylor. If they do a combination af all of their hits it will be a fantastic night.

WATF0RD ZERO

Jan 22, 2004
I suppose they are sticking with tradition...................

Great singer, shit band

..... i think i will now duck for cover :lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
As a big Who fan who was too young to catch them in their prime with Moon I am definately grateful that I later had the opportunity to see them. Obviously it's different with Queen as Mercury was lead singer and focal point of the band (not that that stopped the post-Morrison Doors hitting the road!) but at the same time there are many people who have never had the oppo to hear Queen's music live and I really don't think it would do much of a dis-service to Mercury's memory if it did go ahead. Queen were so massively influential that I wouldn't begrudge anyone a ticket, although I must admit I fail to comprehend those who went to post-Cornwell Stranglers or post-Fish Marillion gigs (cue mass "I wouldn't go to Marillion even with Fish" comments)

Steph

Jul 26, 2004
Bognor
Repugnant Toad said:
Roger's solo stuff seems a bit patchy - Strange Frontier is great, especially the Springsteen song, but Fun In Space is utter gash. Electric Fire somewhere in the middle.

Happiness? was fantastic though - Old Friends makes me cry everytime I hear it.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
clapham_gull said:
There was a lot of dross and the sound wasn't very good in the stadium. We didn't even realise that George Michael had a gospel choir with him.

To be honest - beyond Liza Minelli and George Micheal the queen stuff sang by other artists was very disappointing.

Did you miss the Extreme set clapham?

They played a whole set of Queen numbers. Brilliant stuff!!!

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Speaking of Queen.

Crazy Cornish Gal and myself are off to London tonight to see We Will Rock You at the Dominion Theatre.

Anyone seen it? Is it any good?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports