Quality striker away from Automatic Promotion...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
According to Wikipedia the Argentinian season officially ends on 6th December but Boca only have 3 league matches left and the last of those is 8th November. They're also in the Cup semi, and the final is c. 25 Nov. In theory it would appear his season could be over by 8th November.
The transfer window of the buying club is the relevant window, so it doesn't matter when the season ends in Argentina.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I agree with the general consensus that we need an upgrade on Baldock. I'd add the following:

1. We need the upgrade to arrive October. If we hold out for Calleri there's no guarantee he'll come to us in January. If we're serious about this lad then why can't we get him in on a 3-month loan now then sign him permanently in the window, as Leeds appear to have agreed with Buckley?

2. Of secondary important, but I really fear for us if we get promoted on the back of workman like one-goal victories. I totally get the argument that it's a nice problem to have come May 2016, but watching Bournemouth this season shows that it is crucial to have that attacking confidence in your DNA when you go up because instinctively they still believe they can score all sorts of goals. It's why they're not in the bottom 3 and Newcastle, Villa and Sunderland are.

Agree with 2. but not 1. It ain't going to happen, which is why I have posted elsewhere on this thread that we have to rely on what we have. The second point is spot on and related to my point made on previous post, Bournemouth scored 60 goals from 'non Wilson' striker and midfield last season; basically we have to do something similar; hanging out for the magician who MAY score 1 in 2 is hopeful and will not happen until 26 games+ played.

Narrow games will too often turn out to be draws as we have found recently; I agree that we have to find a way to kill teams off else the draw count will stuff us for auto promo. This requires more goals, just not sure the fairy dust of striker in Jan will work out. BTW, look how many goals Burton have scored at top of League One...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The answer to 1 is that we can only get 93 day loans from English clubs, not overseas ones, so the Buckley situation is not the same.

Thanks for clearing that up. It seems a risky strategy to me to be going all in on a striker who won't have kicked a ball for two month come January. The lad is 22 and not set foot outside of Argentina.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Can't see Tex as the answer to our current problem although he would be a nice option to have. I would like to see someone who offers a threat in behind. Baldock is a very decent player but he doesn't really offer that threat and although his link play is excellent he does not look like someone who will consistently score at this level.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think we will need other players as well as Tex but I agree he is only one of the players that I would like in our squad planning ahead.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Remain top or somewhere near it by the end of the year and I'm sure Tony will invest in a top quality striker: £100M+ Prem bonus beckons.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Tex's name was mentioned this morning on the radio as a player who would get a chance under Klopp.
His kind of player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports