Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quality striker away from Automatic Promotion...

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Well, something's lacking when you look at our goal difference compared with others at the business end of the Championship. We hardly ever score more than one goal despite dominating games and where our shots total has been impressive and shots on goal has been better, we are not delivering.

Even with Harper still sidelined and not too sure there is any other, still to appear, option so I think we are still very short of a striker,

Whilst recognising what BZ did in a previous life, I'm not too sure that he is likely ever to deliver other than the odd 'cameo' item.

We definitely NEED a top grade striker if we are to progress to the "promised land"

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Even before the transfer window closed I thought we were desperately short of a sharp, quick, finisher.
Without wanting to big anyone up from that lot up the road, can you imagine how many goals Dwight Gayle would score in this team? In my opinion he would be nailed on golden boot winner for the championship and undoubtably send us up in the process.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'll bite. He has a prodigious work rate, and his movement is PL level. His touch can be sublime, and he can carry the ball (see how he set up Kayal's goal vs Huddersfield), but he can equally squander it when it looks easier to keep it under control. His finishing this season has been poor, granted. But they're not far away. They're either miss-hit and on target, or well-hit and a whisker away. I still have hope that he can go on a bit of a goalscoring run, and wouldn't be surprised if he did, but the most we can expect from him will be 12-15 goals.
And we may well be a quality striker from automatic promotion, but they really are few and far between at the moment. I'm grateful for what we've got. That said, wouldn't be too disappointed if we got Calleri in January.
Nicely put

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Our goal difference is equal to or better than all but Reading and Boro, Readings having been enhanced by one win in particular. I don't dispute the fact that we need to improve our cutting edge somehow in January if not before though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Short by one fox in the box.

(No Ulloa implication in that)

We are definitely short ...of one striker...irrespective of what you think of how many Hamed/Baldock can score..or Zamora..either one of the current pairing gets injured/suspended it offers us BZ..who's on the bench? Elvis is totally unproven in English football...and Murphy could cove for the odd game..but is certainly no target man....so as most peeps have said before we are one striker short and one that is good enough to start the match and score...not as a sub at 20 mins or cover for the odd game. Expectations are way different than what they were at the start of the season.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Bring in a top notch striker then automatic promotion but with what we already have we will comfortably be in the play offs

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The club may have been a little reluctant to get a fourth Striker with the likes of Clunge, Harper & Hambo on the fringes - maybe that's why we didn't pay absurd money for Vydra and decided against taking Calleri mid-season at an inflated fee. Whatever - we need some more firepower come Jan or sooner if there are significant injuries to our current main three options.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Baldock just needs a goal..... When he gets it there will be no stopping him.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I said this today along with 26,000 others and more you are spot on my friend, all we lack now is a decent striker with dare i say it
" the eye of the Tiger " without doubt today, had we have had that striker it could quite have easily have ended up 6/7/8 -1 to us easily.
Fairplay to their keeper the only thing that stopped them from a monumental hammering was him.

I seem to remember it was their first choice 'keeper Marshall who prevented the self same thing.Last season wasn;t it, we should have absolutely slaughtered them that day as well.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I quite like Baldock, he's a decent enough player.

But lets be honest, if we were were even say mid table at the moment, people would be calling for Elvis to be given a run in the side.
Will Baldock ever be a regular scorer in this division.... ?..... even CMS never had a run of games like this in a front 2.... im not sure he is any better than CMS at all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I quite like Baldock, he's a decent enough player.

But lets be honest, if we were were even say mid table at the moment, people would be calling for Elvis to be given a run in the side.
Will Baldock ever be a regular scorer in this division.... ?..... even CMS never had a run of games like this in a front 2.... im not sure he is any better than CMS at all.

Where the hell has the THUMBSDOWN button gone? Absolutely outrageous suggestion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe we should disguise one of our women players
Some of them wouldn't need disguising.

It's just a joke! Seriously, I've no idea what they look like, it was a joke, nothing more. Jeez, some people are so touchy.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Where the hell has the THUMBSDOWN button gone? Absolutely outrageous suggestion.

His strike rate is worse than CMS and he had to play up front on his own, Baldock is playing in a front 2 in a side that is creating chances..... thats all I am saying...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
His strike rate is worse than CMS and he had to play up front on his own, Baldock is playing in a front 2 in a side that is creating chances..... thats all I am saying...

He's creating the a lot of those chances and has the most assists as it happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here