Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QPR's impending Oozlum bird impression

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's quite right though, if QPR are going to play in the Championship next season (which is the only league they will be eligible for), it is going to cost somebody in thier boardroom a disgusting amount of money.

Or, FFP will be shown up as an irrelevant, unlawful and useless piece of paper. That is why I am willing QPR to go down, because it will bring to this all to the boil very nicely in it's very first season.

Agree, the sooner the better. If it happens I suspect they will appeal the fine and that's when it gets into the circular legal argument.

I imagine the outcome will be a rewritten FFP with QPR ending up with some token fine or even nothing.

The only good thing that could come out of it is an FFP which is far more sensible than today (one that 'protects' a club from going into admin yet allows it to get 'unencumbered' funding from wherever it wishes/can)

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
What's the deal there then? Not heard about that.

Sorry for the slow reply:

I believe Car Giant occupies some/a large portion of the land they wish to develop commercially, which is the only reason they want to do this btw, and they have categorically refused to budge and sell up.

It is highly unlikely that without the additional land from Cargiant that the scheme will be viable from a commercial/funding perspective and as they're unlikely to provide any meaningful contribution for the local community beyond the usual derogatory smattering of affordable housing in their plans there is unlikely to be a compulsory purchase order granted which could otherwise push the scheme through in it's current guise.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
So Sir Les has a role there now. This could be interpreted in two ways. To help 'arry get things sorted or maybe to lay the foundations for Sherwood to turn up in the not too distant future.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
BREAKING NEWS...

To distract from being demonstrably the worst manager in the Prem and having clearly lost the dressing room 'Arry has exclusively revealed to all news outlets that..
He tried to sign Louis Suarez, but while he was finkin abaat it Liverpool priced him out.
Melt faced charlatan.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think his very weak argument is that as QPR were in the prem when these rules were agreed, they shouldn't apply to them as they had no say in drawing them up.

I that case they should have declined to join the FL on relegation if they didn't agree with the rules :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How often do any of these legal challenges go in the club's favour? Essentially any football league sets it's rules and if a club wants to play in that league it abides to be bound by them. Plenty of clubs have gone to the courts over the years but I don't recall many of them getting their way. It would be an interesting thing to study and something I am far too busy/lazy to do right now.

I'd imagine that if the FL didn't enforce a fine on QPR then a host of other clubs (including Brighton) will sue the League for punishing clubs that did abide by the rules. I can't see QPR getting out of this TBH, the only compromises I can see are some sort of reduction or a deferred payment.

If QPR did win the ramifications for the whole of sport would be far-reaching - it would mean that sporting bodies would have no right to set their own rules so, for example, a county team could play 11 overseas players (provided they were here legally) or athletes and cyclists could take any legal performance enhancer. Courts will be aware of that and would be loath to stop sporting bodies setting rules.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I'm not sure it'll be swept under the carpet, as FFP is a pan-European initiative, with all the major leagues agreeing to be bound by it. I think some people in the game are in for a shock when it bites them in the ar*e :)

To all the cynical FFP posters out there I ask you this - which club has the UK's most successful professional gambler well and truly at the helm, and which club is adhering to FFP like a limpet to a groyne? The writing is on the wall and those treating FFP with self important contempt and they will get their's, oh yes, the day will come and they will be lined up against the wall, not the same wall but another metaphoric wall in the same brickhouse of delusion.....

Stainsey

Mar 25, 2009
My simplistic view is that the FL has rules. One of these is that the top 2 in the Championship gain automatic promotion, and the next 4 enter the playoffs. QPR went up via these playoffs, so they can hardly argue that only some rules apply to them and not others incl FFP ?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
As for BHA spending more, I have been reading it that many just wanted more of the Ulloa/Bridcutt/Buckley money put back into player recruitment, not that we should be busting FFP limits. But with that additional income, plus improved sponsorship, plus a new kit deal, plus "record" merchandise sales and PB cost cutting measures one has to imagine the clubs finances aren't too grim at moment?
But if we are at the FFP limit already then any money being spent is "busting FFP". It is easy to sit here behind a keyboard saying "spend more money", when it is not our money. Even complying with FFP the £8m loss is more than our ticket income; someone is paying that and at the moment it is TB.

That all said and if I were TB I would be wanting the club to be totally self sufficient, even if I weren't expecting any kind of profit, and I go along with that totally
But given that we lost £14m in the last published accounts we were a long way from FFP, let alone self sufficiency. TB is well over £100m from getting his money back, let alone making a profit.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But if we are at the FFP limit already then any money being spent is "busting FFP". It is easy to sit here behind a keyboard saying "spend more money", when it is not our money. Even complying with FFP the £8m loss is more than our ticket income; someone is paying that and at the moment it is TB.

But given that we lost £14m in the last published accounts we were a long way from FFP, let alone self sufficiency. TB is well over £100m from getting his money back, let alone making a profit.
That 14 million was in Amex season 2.

We supposedly met FFP in season 3, so under an 8 million loss.

This season we look like breaking even at least, with the 8-10 million for Leo + the 2.5 million for Buckley ( minus the fees for Colunga, Baldock and COG ).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I would have hoped that all the PB initiatives would have kicked in a significant improvement in the clubs finances. I'm not advocating spending up to FFP limit at all, I think I was quite clear in saying if I were TB I would want the club to be self sufficient.

I was merely responding to someone saying that there are BHA fans that want us to follow the same path as QPR. I don't believe there are, although I have seen frustration that we haven't spent more of the Ulloa/Bridcutt/Buckley money. I'm neutral on that tbh but also fairly confident that the reason we haven't isn't because we're busting FFP limits.

larus

I've never met a BHA fan that would want us to do what QPR have done. That's crap. There are plenty though that wish we'd spent more of our incoming transfer fees on decent replacements in the last 12 months. That's a different thing altogether.

But the problem is they can't say where this 'mysterious' extra money is coming from as we're still losing money (we may meet FFP, but I'm fairly certain we won't be making a profit). The club needs to be self-funding IMO; no more cash injections from TB. If that means Championship football for the majority of the time with the occasional chance of going up/down, then that's OK. As for this constant crap about "The crowds will drop if we're not in Premiership/Play-offs"; well, that's just a pathetic, juvenile, toy-throwing reaction. Our history is a mid-level (Div 2/Div 3 based on the old 4 divisions) team. Only ONCE have we achieved promotion to the top division.

Too many "fans" want success but on someone else's money (or maybe I should say a few vocal keyboard warriors want it).

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
No wonder Arry has decided to retire at the end of this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here