Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QPR's impending Oozlum bird impression

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Whilst I would love to see the FL say no entry until you pay your fines and ending up in the Conference and not being allowed back into League 2 until the fines are paid, I seem to recall there being some sort of agreement with the PL that no club can be refused entry back into the FL from the PL and that was part of the deal to stop the PL becoming a closed shop with no promotion or relegation. I suppose QPR could come back for one season in the championship and then be kicked out after that for non payment without breaking the rule.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I recall an interview with Rio Ferdinand just after he joined QPR. He said that he sensed it was time for him to move on from Man Utd because he and Vidic were holding back the likes of Jones, Smalling plus new kids like McNair and Blackett were coming through. There was no sense that he wanted to be at QPR for anything other than a pay cheque and I had the feeling he and QPR would struggle this season.

It will be interesting to see how Rio gets on against Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Villa in his next 4 matches.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'm not sure it'll be swept under the carpet, as FFP is a pan-European initiative, with all the major leagues agreeing to be bound by it. I think some people in the game are in for a shock when it bites them in the ar*e :)

Unless you're PSG, Man City or Barcelona (so far) eh?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Whilst I would love to see the FL say no entry until you pay your fines and ending up in the Conference and not being allowed back into League 2 until the fines are paid, I seem to recall there being some sort of agreement with the PL that no club can be refused entry back into the FL from the PL and that was part of the deal to stop the PL becoming a closed shop with no promotion or relegation. I suppose QPR could come back for one season in the championship and then be kicked out after that for non payment without breaking the rule.

So during that one season back in the Championship, whats to stop them just throwing that fine money (and maybe more money too) at new players instead in order to gain promotion straight back to the PL after one season and continue to ignore the fine as they would be in the PL again and still won't have to pay it? (and probably earning a second fine too in the process)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Really? There are those that think we should spend more, and those that think FFP is a crock of shit (myself included) but I can't say I've seen anyone saying we should just ignore FFP

There are posters here who think that FFP will fail and we should therefore gamble on promotion like Forest & QPR have.

But how do we spend more without breaking FFP if we are potentially already spending / losing the maximum we can and still meet FFP? (assuming we are, and seeing we lost so much in the last couple of seasons and have had to tighten our belts a bit, then it's probable that we are close to our maximum spend / player budget anyway)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Coupled with a landowner on their proposed new super stadium/city sight not playing ball and all is not well for the future.

What's the deal there then? Not heard about that.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
There are posters here who think that FFP will fail and we should therefore gamble on promotion like Forest & QPR have.

But how do we spend more without breaking FFP if we are potentially already spending / losing the maximum we can and still meet FFP? (assuming we are, and seeing we lost so much in the last couple of seasons and have had to tighten our belts a bit, then it's probable that we are close to our maximum spend / player budget anyway)

Don't disagree with your point of view but I think you might be being a bit harsh on others.

I think FFP will fail, at least in it's current iteration. But I hope it will evolve over time be a more sensible tool to prevent clubs going into administration yet let any that can attract "sensible and secure" funding to do so

As for BHA spending more, I have been reading it that many just wanted more of the Ulloa/Bridcutt/Buckley money put back into player recruitment, not that we should be busting FFP limits. But with that additional income, plus improved sponsorship, plus a new kit deal, plus "record" merchandise sales and PB cost cutting measures one has to imagine the clubs finances aren't too grim at moment?

That all said and if I were TB I would be wanting the club to be totally self sufficient, even if I weren't expecting any kind of profit, and I go along with that totally

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Redknapp will 'retire' before the end of the season, with a lovely fat little pay-off to soften the landing into retirement.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
It's quite right though, if QPR are going to play in the Championship next season (which is the only league they will be eligible for), it is going to cost somebody in thier boardroom a disgusting amount of money.

Or, FFP will be shown up as an irrelevant, unlawful and useless piece of paper. That is why I am willing QPR to go down, because it will bring to this all to the boil very nicely in it's very first season.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Not sure anybody wants Bloom to spend spend spend, it will be interesting if a legal challenge is raised though and can see QPR taking this option

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
And there are some of our fans that think we should follow their example and throw money at trying to win promotion.
I've never met a BHA fan that would want us to do what QPR have done. That's crap. There are plenty though that wish we'd spent more of our incoming transfer fees on decent replacements in the last 12 months. That's a different thing altogether.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I've never met a BHA fan that would want us to do what QPR have done.
I've never met a QPR fan that wants us to do what we've done! It's a shambles! Redknapp slated the squad he inherited but the squad he built doesn't seem any better. I think he'll match Mark Hughes' start of 2 seasons ago and hopefully he'll be gone soon.

He's saying they're not fit? Professional footballers my arse! He tried to blame that on the pre-season tour which caused a couple of former players to comment suggesting that might not be accurate.

Unless there is a massive change very soon I think we're going down with less of a whimper than last time.

PS Fernandes has already said he'll challenge any fine in court.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I've never met a QPR fan that wants us to do what we've done! It's a shambles! Redknapp slated the squad he inherited but the squad he built doesn't seem any better. I think he'll match Mark Hughes' start of 2 seasons ago and hopefully he'll be gone soon.

He's saying they're not fit? Professional footballers my arse! He tried to blame that on the pre-season tour which caused a couple of former players to comment suggesting that might not be accurate.

Unless there is a massive change very soon I think we're going down with less of a whimper than last time.

PS Fernandes has already said he'll challenge any fine in court.

Of course he'll challenge it.

As he has the money , he thinks he's above the rules/ law that have been put in place. That's why the majority of fans want to see QPR fail.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Not sure anybody wants Bloom to spend spend spend, it will be interesting if a legal challenge is raised though and can see QPR taking this option

How often do any of these legal challenges go in the club's favour? Essentially any football league sets it's rules and if a club wants to play in that league it abides to be bound by them. Plenty of clubs have gone to the courts over the years but I don't recall many of them getting their way. It would be an interesting thing to study and something I am far too busy/lazy to do right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here