Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar set to lose World Cup?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I see where you are heading with this question.

They are not as such a specific registered charity,they are registered in Switzerland under commercial law that includes charities,religions,social and political groups,I believe if you are non-profit you can register under this large umbrella of groups,and legally dodge paying full whack tax.

I think nearly all football fans have a word for FIFA beginning with C and it certainly isnt charity.

Thanks.

I don't think I was heading anywhere in particular with the question, other than perhaps to think that, if registered in this country, they ought to be investigated....... and clobbered.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Thanks.

I don't think I was heading anywhere in particular with the question, other than perhaps to think that, if registered in this country, they ought to be investigated....... and clobbered.

Interestingly Switzerland may be their downfall(well a swift kick in the nuts anyway) to receive the tax status they get in Switzerland their organisation must be fully "transparent" as a non profit organisation in accordance with the law.Clearly everyone knows this is not the case and the Swiss have been making increasing remarks about this.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Us getting the hell out of FIFA is the only way forward.

Drastic. Would be delighted (and surprised) if this happened. IMHO, though, we should just not enter for Qatar - we could always host a tournament in the UK for countries eliminated from qualification (and maybe a few other countries would join us too, if the FA had the balls to go for it)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Because England co-operated fully with the enquiry, we are likely to get heavily criticised for things like giving delegates' wives Mulberry handbags when they visited.

Because Qatar refused to co-operate with the enquiry, they are likely to get away with minimal criticism for a colossal multimillion dollar campaign of bribes.

So that worked, didn't it.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Joke. Even if our bid was corrupt, nothing changes for me. The nations need to declare that they'll boycott the tournament, but they won't. Everybody is up in arms, but when push comes to shove, they'll ignore everything and carry on as usual.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Joke. Even if our bid was corrupt, nothing changes for me. The nations need to declare that they'll boycott the tournament, but they won't. Everybody is up in arms, but when push comes to shove, they'll ignore everything and carry on as usual.
Is the right answer!

No (big) club or nation is likely to take action over Qatar as long as money is coming into the game from that region and, at the moment, it is in large amounts.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We need to start with boycotting Russia 2018......

Is anyone at all surprise Qatar have been cleared?

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
We need to start with boycotting Russia 2018......

Is anyone at all surprise Qatar have been cleared?

Not surprised, but it is disappointing! Pulling out of FIFA would only be possible if others did it with us. To do it unilaterally would be suicidal for English football.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Just read a big article about this, I'm left lost for words at the entire thing, it's just astounding that FIFA get away with it, a law upon themselves and sod everyone else.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Because England co-operated fully with the enquiry, we are likely to get heavily criticised for things like giving delegates' wives Mulberry handbags when they visited.

Because Qatar refused to co-operate with the enquiry, they are likely to get away with minimal criticism for a colossal multimillion dollar campaign of bribes.

So that worked, didn't it.

Though FIFA said they didn't.

What we've got is a FIFA report on the FIFA investigation into clearing FIFA of any wrongdoing. Textbook FIFA.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It needs a Kerry Packer type initiative as an alternative to FIFA to shake the whole thing up.

Like the idea, but the trouble is, the way Kerry Packer got into cricket was by chucking more money at it, particularly the players, than had ever been chucked at it before. Would that really be so good for football?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we all wanted to do anything about it, all we have to do is boycott the sponsors. If the US and UK boycotted all sponsors, FIFA would change.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nothing will change until there is a certain amount of "reaching out" from the Anglo Saxon bloc (and their allies) to the rest of the world. Ultimately, South America, parts of Asia and Africa don't give a tuppenny toss about FIFA corruption because it's a first world problem. Even Latin Europe barely considers it an issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here