Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pulis fining Palace's divers

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Lopez and Buckley would be on the breadline if we brought that in.

Lopez did another of his Newcastle efforts in the Wigan game. I was surprised he didn't get a yellow for it. Pretty awful, isn't it? Mind you, the worst I can remember by an Albion player was Kerry Mayo against QPR in 2003-2004. Was it Gino Padula who gave him a push? I can't remember the player, but Kerry took about 5 minutes to go down. The QPR player got a red, and I got a certain amount of hassle from my QPR-supporting colleague the next day. Fair play to Pulis. I can't stand Palace, and their jammy imminent escape from relegation, but I've no problem with Pulis - always has impressed me as a manager. In another incident, when Liam Daish, playing for Bristol City, kicked a ball into the Reading crowd after they gave him stick, Pulis sacked him on the spot.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
LuaLua is the worst offender, so much so, that refs are almost ignoring him now.

Lua Lua is probably the most regular offender but the points for theatrics can only go to Spanish Dave, that effort against Ameobi being his finest performance.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lua Lua is probably the most regular offender but the points for theatrics can only go to Spanish Dave, that effort against Ameobi being his finest performance.

Ahh yes. Three dramatic ankle-clutching rolls, then a blatant pause from the "grimace of agony" on his face for a quick peek at the ref to see if he was getting the card ready. Yup, that had me CRINGING on his behalf.

Seriously, we need the use of retrospetive video evidence followed by bans to try and stamp that shite out. Its embarrassing.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Can someone show me where Pulis has fined one of his players for diving...AFTER earning his team a penalty....?

My God...the self harming posters on this thread are quite astonishing with their need to bleed. All because a wily football manager has cynically used the media to spout his intentions to fine his 'divers'......only because he will want to convince the referees in future that his 'diver extraordinaire'...aka Glenn Murray....will only go down with nailed on penalties.

You couldn't make it up.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Can someone show me where Pulis has fined one of his players for diving...AFTER earning his team a penalty....?

My God...the self harming posters on this thread are quite astonishing with their need to bleed. All because a wily football manager has cynically used the media to spout his intentions to fine his 'divers'......only because he will want to convince the referees in future that his 'diver extraordinaire'...aka Glenn Murray....will only go down with nailed on penalties.

You couldn't make it up.

So he should have followed Mr Wenger's lead and say he didn't see it ?
I don't think you can say it wasn't a foul on Murray, it's just if it was in or out the box.
Flores is a cynical so and so anyway, should have had a couple of yellows in the 1st half.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
So he should have followed Mr Wenger's lead and say he didn't see it ?
I don't think you can say it wasn't a foul on Murray, it's just if it was in or out the box.
Flores is a cynical so and so anyway, should have had a couple of yellows in the 1st half.

Listen idiot.....I wasn't saying that the particular Murray penalty on Sunday was a dive. Learn to read.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Listen idiot.....I wasn't saying that the particular Murray penalty on Sunday was a dive. Learn to read.

Can't you debate without being abusive ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As posted on the Murray thread...

The fact is players of all/most clubs do it. Pulis was right about it being a poison in the game. Alas, I don't think he was correct in saying that we're nearly rid of it.

I genuinely don't believe any club is worse at it than any other - some clubs may just end up with more players who are adept at it at any one time. i certainly don't believe any clubs are actively coaching their players to do it.

The Cameron Jerome incident shows just how fine a margin it is - the defender only just managed to pull his foot back in time. Another few centimetres and Jerome would have had what he needed to trail his leg over and obtain the much-desired penalty. On another day, or with another defender he'd have been successful, Murray would have slotted home the resultant penalty and Palace would be 2 more points closer to safety.

I really think it is only going to stop when fans unite to condemn it, leading the way by targeting their own players who seek to cheat, and doing so even when the cheating has been responsible for a positive match result. If players were being booed by their own fans for cheating, it would surely change attitudes on the pitch finally.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I really think it is only going to stop when fans unite to condemn it, leading the way by targeting their own players who seek to cheat, and doing so even when the cheating has been responsible for a positive match result. If players were being booed by their own fans for cheating, it would surely change attitudes on the pitch finally.

I don't agree. I don't think fans will have much of an impact on players diving.

In the same way that club loyalty means nothing to players, fans booing them for diving isn't going to stop a player doing it. If there's a £500 win bonus (or any amount, really), and a dive can get the goal that gives a win, most players will dive. They want money, and they want wins (wins leading to higher league position, better deal on next contract negotiations, bringing a team success can bring better contracts elsewhere, etc.

It comes down to money, and that means relying on clubs and/or the FA to act, with either the FA taking action, banning and fining players, or clubs fining them. If they are missing games, people will not offer as good a contract, if they get fined they lose whatever whatever bonus they were due.

Of course, that can be brought about by fans making their opinions clear, but ultimately, it's the money that will stop players doing it, not moaning fans.

But there is an issue in that there needs to be an agreement on how far you go with it. Some people will argue that any contact and it can't possibly be a dive. For me a dive is any time a player chooses to go to ground when they could stay on their feet with a reasonable amount of effort. Also for me, throwing yourself to the ground to exaggerate a foul "to make sure the ref sees it" should be eliminated (I have no problem with a ref booking a player for a "dive" while also giving them a free kick for a foul). If we allow any theatrics, there will always be diving, because some players will push the limits of what is allowed and it's only a small step from "making sure the ref sees it" dives and sticking a leg out and just plain no contact diving.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was cursing LuaLua at Hull for one particularly lame effort to fool the referee, and I wasn't alone.

Sadly there were still some individuals in and around us who preferred to believe the referee had greatly wronged LuaLua, and loudly informed the official he was a ****.

Wish people weren't so one eyed about this. Players need a kick up the arse (one that doesn't end with them falling to the floor & looking at the referee in anguish, mind). It's embarrassing to watch, and I 100% include our lightweights in that.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota

You couldn't make it up.

So, someone does something which is good for the game and you still choose to slate him for it?

FWIW, that's the first diving incident we've had under Pulis, so any past incidents at Stoke etc none of us truly know about.

How many have you had in recent months? I don't see Oscar even speaking about those incidents let alone doing something about them.

This iniative could be a breath of fresh and the fines will go to charity, that can only be a good thing.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

You couldn't make it up.

Ridiculous - give the guy a break - how can you expect anyone to be able to show you where Pulis has fined a player for diving after a penalty has been won - he hasn't fined any players.

Your argument as to his motives only hold any possible credence because no other clubs fine their players for diving. Would be better to be calling for ALL clubs to behave in the same way as Pulis has.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Ridiculous - give the guy a break - how can you expect anyone to be able to show you where Pulis has fined a player for diving after a penalty has been won - he hasn't fined any players.

Your argument as to his motives only hold any possible credence because no other clubs fine their players for diving. Would be better to be calling for ALL clubs to behave in the same way as Pulis has.

Good post there . I was at the game and i was screaming for a penalty , when i saw it today i was embarrased . Jerome , tbf , has apologised and i hope he doesnt do it again . Knowing he could have scored makes it even more unbelieavable.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Even Palace fans are moaning about the style of football under Pulis. Still, at least it doesn't look out of place in that antiquated shithole of a ground they play in. Dinosaur football at a prehistoric venue - Channel 4's Time Team have been dispatched in the hope of catching sight of the very future of Welsh football - the lesser-spotted Joniesta.

:amex:

Botty gold :)

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
A piece of advice to some gullible posters on here....

If you receive an e-mail from a Nigerian claiming to have millions of dollars he want to give you.....probably best you don't answer it. It may not be quite what it appears.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
A piece of advice to some gullible posters on here....

If you receive an e-mail from a Nigerian claiming to have millions of dollars he want to give you.....probably best you don't answer it. It may not be quite what it appears.

First hand experience ?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Pulis wouldn't have said a word if either Thomas or Chamakh were awarded penalties.

Precisely.

Imagine if they stay up after a 'dive' results in scored penalty winning them their final game of the season. How many think he'd speak out or fine the diver?

I see it as a personal PR thing. Fair play, he's shedding the hoofball tag, but now we wants to be a leading part of a clean up campaign. Yeah right.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Precisely.

Imagine if they stay up after a 'dive' results in scored penalty winning them their final game of the season. How many think he'd speak out or fine the diver?

I see it as a personal PR thing. Fair play, he's shedding the hoofball tag, but now we wants to be a leading part of a clean up campaign. Yeah right.

The veracity of what you are saying will be tested when the situation you outline occurs. In the meantime I'd like to see support for what Pulis has proposed and encouragement for other managers to follow suit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here