Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs you remember that have been long gone(15 years or more) Sussex only

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
If you mean The Great Eastern, it would have been where Gala bingo is now, as by the bus stop, there is a 'sculpture' of a train, which I should imagine marks the site of the pub ???
The Star in the east was on the corner where gala bingo is. The Eastern was on the other side of Eastern Rd. I think the Star in the east was closed after a fire which killed some children there, they had been playing with candles.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
The Star in the east was on the corner where gala bingo is. The Eastern was on the other side of Eastern Rd. I think the Star in the east was closed after a fire which killed some children there, they had been playing with candles.

Yes think you are right about the fire but The Great Eastern was along there too

What was that pub called in Stonegate, a real all night drinker frequented by Roger Daltrey when I lived in Heathfield?

Kicking Donkey?

..But back to Crowborough.

Rose and Crown - Remember many evenings there watching the "house band" Fat Max, also the "English Rogues" who are still going http://www.englishrogues.co.uk/Gerry.htm!
I think the pub got into trouble due to a) having a relaxed view of the age of those it served and b) having a relaxed view of licensing hours. I expect "Wanderbus" remembers them?

At the Shelley Arms saw the local legends "The Drivers" there many times and various other bands (I think Wilko Johnson played there at least once). Have also got a "bootleg" via my cassette recorder of one of the first "Cutting Crew" gigs - memorable for Nick Van Eede namechecking Nutley Stoolball Team!

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
The Compton Arms near the Seven Dials. Remember bunking off the odd lesson at Bhasvic to play pool in there. Had some bizarre characters. There was a lady who used to come in with her own cue, dressed up to the nines during the day. A brass? Always dead easy to get served. Those were the gays :cry:

Used to also play pool in the pub that later became Circus Circus. The name escapes me. The pub opposite the very bottom of Elm Grove had a few tables as well. Long gone. Byderbecks(sp) had a reasonable amount of tables to entertain the masses heading into town on the piss. Apart from that it was a pretty crap BAR.

Last edited:

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Three Crowns and South Strand in East Preston, Wine Lodge and Old England Worthing.

I was going to say the same, just add Sterns and the thieves Kitchen which were regular weekend haunts before heading over to the Pink Coconut.....
Really good old days......

True Blue and the old spotted cow in Littlehampton not so much missed:)

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
What was the pub opp amex that got set on fire by the landlord on his last day????

JUST GOOGLE MAPPED IT! THE LITTLE GLOBE:moo:

The pub I use to drink across the road from Amex House in the 80s was called The Thurlow Arms in those days. Are we talking about the same place? Was a decent pub. Is the Sports and Social Club still there?

The pub I use to drink across the road from Amex House in the 80s was called The Thurlow Arms in those days. Are we talking about the same place? Was a decent pub. Is the Sports and Social Club still there?

THURLOW IS THE JURY 'S INN,SOCIAL CLUB HAS BEEN BUILT ON DURING AMEX HOUSE EXTENSION :rolleyes: THE LITTLE GLOBE WAS FURTHER EAST UP EDWARD STREET:moo:

the little globe was owned by amex!

after it closed as a pub:moo:

Little Globe, Brighton, Sussex

Date of photo: c.1986
Picture source: Pete Dakin

The Little Globe was situated on Cavendish Place. This pub is now in commercial use.
My father, Irvine Ross, was the licensee of this pub from 1940 to about 1947. During that time two memorable events took place, both were rather sad. The first concerned a Canadian soldier who stayed over one night in one of the upper floor rooms and at sometime fell our into what was then Cavendish Street and was paralysed. The second was when 6 housed in White Street were destroyed by a parachute mine which was seen to very narrowly miss the top corner of the pub.
During the war with the blackout you had to go into the pub through a sort of dark air lock coming in off the street, shutting the door you were in a dark space. Then you pulled the curtain aside to enter, you were not allowed to let any light get into the street.
K Ross (May 2012)

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The Guinea Pig and the Prince of Wales, East Grinstead. The former is rather sad - though it was a fairly rough council estate pub, it was named after the Guinea Pig Society (the pilots whose faces Archibald McIndoe saved at the Queen Victoria Hospital), and a number would return each year for a nostalgic pint. The latter was a proper hole - when I was a cab driver I hated going in there for punters, as the locals would stare at you, making it quite clear that you weren't one of them.

The Foresters at Forest Row is about to become a branch of the Co-op, which is moving across the road into it. I remember watching the Wolves game in there, as my Sky system was playing up, when Zamora got his brilliant lobbed goal and Kuipers made an equally superb save. It was just me and two old blokes playing pool in there, so I'm not surprised it's gone.

The Swan at South Chailey and the Pump House at Cooksbridge have both gone, the former is now a large private house, while the latter has been demolished and had houses built on it. When those two were still running, that section of the A275 must have had more pubs on it than any similar length of main road in the country (the only rival I know is the A268 between Flimwell and Rye, though a number of those pubs have also closed.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Edward Street used to have a pub every few yards

Abysinnia Arms, 91A Edward Street, Brighton
Alliance, 140 Edward Street, Brighton
Dog Tray, 10 Edward Street, Brighton
Dragoon, 50 Edward Street, Brighton
Duke of Baden, 67 Edward Street, Brighton
Elephant, 14 Edward Street, Brighton
Globe, 39 Edward Street, Brighton
Golden Boot, 56 Edward Street, Brighton
Great Globe, 39 Edward Street, Brighton
Leconfield Arms, 116 Edward Street, Brighton
Little Globe, 153 Edward Street, Brighton
Painters Arms, 29 Edward Street, Brighton
Park Tavern, 94 & 95 Edward Street, Brighton
Plasterers Arms, 21 Edward Street, Brighton
Rising Sun, 11 Edward Street, Brighton
Rose Of England, 86 Edward Street, Brighton
Royal Standard, 36 Edward Street, Brighton
Shamrock Inn, 101 Edward Street, Brighton
Three Kings, 26 Edward Street, Brighton
Thurlow Arms, 161 Edward Street, Brighton
Tierney Arms, 64 Edward Street, Brighton
Town Hall, 71 Edward Street, Brighton
White Horse, 19 Edward Street, Brighton

then Eastern Road
Eastern Inn, 143 Eastern Road, Kemp Town, Brighton
Great Eastern Tavern, 61 Eastern Road, Brighton
Reeve Inn, 1 Eastern Road, Kemp Town, Brighton
Star in the East, 32 Eastern Road, Brighton

27 pubs!
What a Road !! love to go back and have a pint in them now

Then Carlton Hill the road above had a few too
Star, 95 Carlton Hill, Brighton
Rising Sun, 60 Carlton Hill, Brighton
Morning Star, 61 Carlton Hill, Brighton
John Bull, 84 Carlton Hill, Brighton
Italian Arms, 80 Carlton Hill, Brighton
George IV, 16 Carlton Hill, Brighton
Forresters Arms, 90 Carlton Hill, Brighton
Devonshire Arms, 52 Carlton Hill, Brighton
Carlton Arms, 1 Carlton Hill, Brighton
Brewers Arms, 93 Carlton Hill, Brighton
Bag Of Shavings, 29 & 30 Carlton Hill, Brighton

12 pubs

If you still needed a drink you could move on to Albion Hill

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Sea House Shades ? on a ramp leading down from Kings Road Brighton to the Beach.

The Crocodile, Danehill

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here