Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pubs opening on Sunday for the match

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If people are THAT desperate to gather in groups to watch a game of football, how about the pubs open up, but just don't serve alcohol until they are allowed to – or whatever needs to happen to overcome this problem that seems to have folk frothing at the gash?
That's what we used to do in Toronto. A Saturday 3pm game is 10am here and until a couple of years ago the pubs couldn't serve alcohol until 11am. We'd still go at 10am, order breakfast, have a coffee, then get a beer for the second half.

I never felt like I was missing out. In fact, even since they changed the law to allow earlier drinking, I've rarely ordered a drink before 11am.

This isn't even the same. You can literally order a drink as the match kicks off. :shrug:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Who the f*** gets tanked up to watch women’s football? Non story
The same people who get 'tanked up' to watch men's football?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Some pubs can open for the footie because they have a licence.

But Parliament can't allow it generally because it needs to be recalled.

FFS - you useless ******* bunch of c***s. Hospitality is on its knees
and you have no mechanism to do this. I despair of this country.
The wider point, is that why does the country stop being run for the entire summer?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Of only people didn't need a drink to watch football 🙄

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If people are THAT desperate to gather in groups to watch a game of football, how about the pubs open up, but just don't serve alcohol until they are allowed to – or whatever needs to happen to overcome this problem that seems to have folk frothing at the gash?
Alright Sheikh Bobkin of Qatar!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
An hour or two or so before would make all the difference to the pub's balance sheet
as we know from the men's matches where pubs are generally rammed well before KO.
I'm absolutely all for women's football, and very much looking forward to the final, but let's be honest here, currently it's nowhere near the level of men's in terms of national fervor. The pubs will be busy I'm sure but I can't see pubs being rammed well before ko on a Sunday morning if allowed to open early

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Is it no alcohol or no serving of drinks a nice coffee would be good on a Sunday morning or soft drink . With of course the
90S Snacks GIF

Then a few pints after half-time with roast beef Pringles for lunch of course sorted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here