Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Pub deal breakers (what can you not tolerate in a boozer?).

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
More to do with silly prices than the smoking ban IMO.

is the party line from the pro smoking ban lobby. its a combination of a lot of things, its just that the smoking ban is the contributing factor you have to deny or minimalise, as thats the prevailing social wind. everyone secretly knows the truth though. in fairness brighton doesnt have a lot of the types of pubs that were pushed over the edge by the ban.

i am sure there will a be a few people along shortly quoting stats on duties, pub prices against supermarket, the usual yawn fest and all sorts of other stating the obvious.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
is the party line from the pro smoking ban lobby. its a combination of a lot of things, its just that the smoking ban is the contributing factor you have to deny or minimalise, as thats the prevailing social wind. everyone secretly knows the truth though. in fairness brighton doesnt have a lot of the types of pubs that were pushed over the edge by the ban.

i am sure there will a be a few people along shortly quoting stats on duties, pub prices against supermarket, the usual yawn fest and all sorts of other stating the obvious.

Mrs V was recently charged £5.00 for a bottle of Erdinger in The Hare and Hounds, she was quite shocked to see it for about £1.40 in Asda days later.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
people who gob in the trough while having a piss. only even done in public, surely no one does it at home when they are having a slash.

It's a lot easier to hit a trough than a regular khazi though.
Also you need to get that acrid phlegm from the bugle.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No hand pumps
Children
Clogging up the bar
No seats
Carpets that stink of Iwouldrathernotthinkaboutit and stick to your feet
Lager
Loud musak that nobody wants to hear
Blocked toilets
Landlords that serve their mates first and ignore everyone else
Smokers and the obligatory pile of fag ends by the door

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Here's one that winds me up beyond belief:

There's about three of you at the bar all waiting to be served and some
to$$er bar staff who has been doing something utterly pointless like moving the
bottles around a cabinet turns round and says: "right who's next?"

Stop pissing around and use your fU**ing eyes you moron.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Mrs V was recently charged £5.00 for a bottle of Erdinger in The Hare and Hounds, she was quite shocked to see it for about £1.40 in Asda days later.

Well ? You craft beer types.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I don't know of any of my friends who smoke who have cut down on their pub drinking because of the ban. They've cut down on their smoking though but what do I know I much prefer things how they are.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
"Deal breakers" in PUBS? I don't get it. I go to pubs for a drink. Sometimes more than one. If they serve that, how can there be anything wrong!!!?? Crazy talk.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Speaking as an ex publican, the following list of things in pubs grip my shit in a major way:

Children - Fairly self explanatory
Wasabi Nuts - Why?
Food served on slates/wooden boards - Pretentious numptiness
Staff messing around with their phones (an unforgivable sin, I used to confiscate phones, and in one particular instance - on mothers day I might like to add - put one particular repeat offenders phone in a pint - I did replace obviously!!)
"Regulars" - just because you're a loud obnoxious twunt who drinks in my pub a lot does not give you the right to be a dick to the staff or other customers
Hove Born & Bred - I can't think of anyone I'd rather not have in my pub!!!
Doom Bar - Shit beer, inexplicably served in a growing amount of pubs

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Warm glasses that have just been cleaned.
Staff too lazy to pour pints properly, especially Guinness, who then plonk said pint that's three quarters full and wonder why you are not best pleased.
Stools at the bar occupied by middle aged Walter Mittys regaling the bar staff with their wit and wisdom while stopping anyone else getting served.
Dirty and sticky carpets, mobility scooters, or anything else Wetherspoons related.
Bouncers on the door.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here