Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Pub deal breakers (what can you not tolerate in a boozer?).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Always found Reggae uplifting rather than depressing...you want depressing.....listen to hip hop....or Metal.

Fair point. There's a lot to be said for Billy Ocean when you're wanting lift.

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
Kids, bad service, strip lighting or music so loud that conversation is impossible.

I can just about tolerate the first three but the music thing is a real deal breaker.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I don't mind well behaved kids in most pubs - but badly behaved ones being noisy running around uncontrolled are a complete no-no.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
1 - Children, hate children in a pub especially young ones who run round the place screaming. It ruins my breakfast if I see kids in there or they come in when I'm in there, McD's opens at 6 so why can't they go there ?

2 - Slow Service riles me terrible, or even worse when bar staff stand there chatting amongst themselves ignoring customers wanting to order.

3 - Dirty unclean bogs,
at least the Cliftonvilles toilets are generally clean

4 - Pubs that charge over £4 a pint, total rip off

The thread is about pubs, not train companies

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
When on arrival a table is yet cleared and is sticky, you finally ask for a cloth to clean it yourself and they actually give it to you.

It was meant to be a polite English way of demanding that you the staff clear/clean it for you.

But being English I wipe it and hand it back to them, and I have only said 'thank you' as they took it back, then grumble 'quietly' for the next 13mins. !!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Twats and **** tolerance. It can take years to build up a business in a pub and just one **** can kill it. Customers, not just a **** on the other side of the jump.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
those bright green or orange star shaped point of sales card thingies splattered all over the place.

usually an indication the Landlord is a chav or from Falkirk.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
eastern europeans in shell suits flogging shit bugle and loads of pissed up goons hogging the bar......any pub in eastbourne basically.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
1 - Any pub that insists I have chips when I only want the sandwich. Their principle is put 10p worth of chips on the plate and add £4 to the price.

2 - Any landlord who moans about the rates of duty on alcohol forcing them to put up prices, then charging more per pint for a glass of duty free lemonade.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Children. Above all else.

Busy bars that have seats at the bar meaning you have to order over people's heads.

People who sit at said seats and get indignant when you order over them, as if there was anywhere else to do so. Yeah, the pub shouldn't let them but they shouldn't do it anyway.

Carvery serving areas in the main pub - by all means let them serve food there but having a queue of people looking for dessicated roast beef in front of you isn't great.

Fruit machines of any description. Shitty vending machines - a few Minstrels for 50c, etc.

Anywhere where their idea of serving lager is Heineken and nothing else; their idea of serving ale is Smithwicks and nothing else (that won't ever happen in the UK, thank your lucky stars) and so on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
BA Apologists

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Though for drinking at the bar, I do find that if I'm in a pub by myself, I prefer being at the bar, as its easier to get into a conversation than if I'm sat down at a table.

I'm fond of sitting at the bar, especially when I'm on my own, or have friends working but I do agree at peak times, it can be a nuisance.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Any pub that is dirty or smelly and those that won't, or don't know how to look after and serve the cask conditioned ale they sell.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Any pubs that serve cappacino and have guardian readers frequenting them.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Pubs that have a cask marque sign and only sell Harveys best or Doombore.
Lack of carpet
Short measures - generally young staff who have no idea how to hand pump ale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here