Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PS4 games advice, please

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
We're getting a PS4 for a 12 year old.
After much debate regarding Grand Theft Auto (a minority of his mates have been allowed it by their parents), we won't be yet due to the violent stuff, and he is many years below the advised age.

What PS4 games would gamers recommend, please?
We're not strict about the age bands ... with GTA it was the level of violence for his age.

Ideas so far are FIFA, Need for Speed:Rivals.

I'd say GTA my mates got it at 9-10ish. Make sure if you get FIFA you get FIFA 15 as it will come out soon. Anndd make sure you get PS+ it allows online play and a few shitty free games every month. £30 a years worth it tho.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Assassins Creed is a great game - probably the best i've played on PS4 so far

Watch Dogs is just a poor mans GTA5, i wouldnt bother

Also waiting for FIFA 15 is a good shout

DONT GET HIM COD - unless you want him to be verbally abused the moment he goes online - he will either be shell-shocked by the abuse he gets, or he will turns into one of those feral monsters who dishes it out

there really isnt much else out atm thats worth dropping the crazy amount for ps4 games on

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Woah woah woah, not sure what you're hinting at there as a Uni student myself! :D

Second this! Busy in library reading books and listening to lecturers. Nothing to see here move along people :whistle:

Going back to the topic, get him Call of Duty: yes it's violent but you are a good guy and not either of three characters in GTA V!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
why get him a console at all? There's plenty of time to waste when at university, not when he is 12.

What purpose do they serve? I'd invest my money in something better and let him play a console at his friends house.

you are a bad parent.
Sheesh, that's a bit harsh.

:D

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I fear I am going to sound old fashioned, but why get him a console at all? There's plenty of time to waste when at university, not when he is 12.

What purpose do they serve? I'd invest my money in something better and let him play a console at his friends house.

NB I am not suggesting you are a bad parent.

Seriously?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Does anyone know if there's going to be a proper WWII FPS released on PS4 anytime soon? If not, what's the best one for either a iMac or a windows laptop, please? Thanks for any advice...

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Fifa on PS4 is amazing, buy it.
Trials Fusion is great fun.
The Lego are fun but not too difficult.
Killzone:Shadow Fall is excellent too.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Seriously?

It was an ill advised bit of advice, aimed at those whom will happily let their children run the roost and spend all their time playing computer games.

I personally believe that overuse of consoles goes some way to slowing down children in their formative years. Obviously, if you have strict control of the machines and don't allow your child to spend every waking hour on it, then good (unless there is a good reason).

Having taught in primary schools, there were a great deal of children coming in knackered due to the technology in their bedrooms. Less than 4 hours of learning each day (less when you factor in the time wasted through sheer overcrowding of classrooms) shouldn't leave the children knackered.

Sheesh, that's a bit harsh.

:D

It came out that way, but wasn't intended.

Try being a parent and the peer pressure you can get before making a comment like that.

Bowing to peer pressure. Where can I find this wonderful manual on excelling in parenthood? :thumbsup:

I've apologised to Weststander and will not muddy the thread any further. :)

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Does anyone know if there's going to be a proper WWII FPS released on PS4 anytime soon? If not, what's the best one for either a iMac or a windows laptop, please? Thanks for any advice...

You don't really get much in the way of WW2 FPS these days, after that was pretty much all you got from roughly 1999 until 2007. Enemy Front recently came out and has been given a very rough ride from critics, while Brothers In Arms: Furious 4 is meant to be out at some point although there hasn't been a release date announced

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It came out that way, but wasn't intended.
It didn't to me, I was just taking the piss.

Unfortunately, it's all too easy to be an average parent.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You don't really get much in the way of WW2 FPS these days, after that was pretty much all you got from roughly 1999 until 2007. Enemy Front recently came out and has been given a very rough ride from critics, while Brothers In Arms: Furious 4 is meant to be out at some point although there hasn't been a release date announced

Thanks for the reply. OK - so if I'm playing on a laptop or iMac, which of the crop from 99-07 would you recommend? Decent-ish graphics would be nice, thus leading I guess to the newer ones in the range, but, tbh, I'm more interested in a compelling story line... D-Day to Berlin, ideally...

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Thanks for the reply. OK - so if I'm playing on a laptop or iMac, which of the crop from 99-07 would you recommend? Decent-ish graphics would be nice, thus leading I guess to the newer ones in the range, but, tbh, I'm more interested in a compelling story line... D-Day to Berlin, ideally...

I was a big fan of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - the graphics won't be anything to shout about these days but it was a lot of fun and, like Saving Private Ryan, features the D-Day landing in all its glory (for want of a better term). The first Call of Duty games were pretty good too - one of them, forget which, has part of the game from the Russian perspective including taking on Stalingrad with no weapons

Have a look around here and see what takes your fancy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_video_games#First-person

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I was a big fan of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - the graphics won't be anything to shout about these days but it was a lot of fun and, like Saving Private Ryan, features the D-Day landing in all its glory (for want of a better term). The first Call of Duty games were pretty good too - one of them, forget which, has part of the game from the Russian perspective including taking on Stalingrad with no weapons

Have a look around here and see what takes your fancy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_video_games#First-person

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here