Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Protesters scaling the Shard. Hope they fall off.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Just about to come on the National News in Australia. Climb a building, get people talking, highlight the problems being caused, change a few minds. Working wonders from what I can see.

You live in a town with Shell, Ford and Alcoa.

Once they are all gone the quality of life in the town will drop. Unemployment will rise. Crime will most likely rise too as could homelessness.

What of these peoples livelihoods?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
could either of you cite an example of this occuring, or just going with the urban myth? if there are such patents they would be public knowledge. after 20 years patents expire so become available to anyone to use, assuming that someone from a country that doesnt respect the patent hasnt already done so. Russia and China, those well known adherents to intellectual property, havent produced any viable alternatives to the internal combustion engine, so just where is this technology?

end of the day we all use copius amounts of oil and oil derived products, in fact there is more $ revenue from the non-fuel applications than burning it. we have no place to critisise companies who get the stuff for us. unless you live in a power-free cave or tree house with a patch of land and well and wear handmade skins and woolens.

I just don't understand this argument. We absolutely rely on oil in many many areas of our life so we have no right to expect the companies that provide it to act in an environmentally or socially responsible manner. We sorry to disappoint but I do and I applaud those who challenge them and spread the word of their irresponsible behaviour. even if I do so from my plastic computer which has been made using their product.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I just don't understand this argument. We absolutely rely on oil in many many areas of our life so we have no right to expect the companies that provide it to act in an environmentally or socially responsible manner.

that wasnt aimed at you specifically, and i agree with you. so lets discuss and insist that they explore and extract in the saftest possible way - even if that increases the costs. not criticise them outright for the mere act of obtaining oil.

i'd far more interested in hearing examples of hidden technologies, that part was addressed at you.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not that I want to further their cause, but do that bunch of lefties have a workable solution. They would probably like us to walk everywhere.

To be fair, I do support their anti-whaling activities, but I wonder how much oil they use for their ships patrolling the whaling areas???

You start by stating it's a leftie campaign - one which I support and I can hardly be called a leftie !!!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
that wasnt aimed at you specifically, and i agree with you. so lets discuss and insist that they explore and extract in the saftest possible way - even if that increases the costs. not criticise them outright for the mere act of obtaining oil.

i'd far more interested in hearing examples of hidden technologies, that part was addressed at you.

Sorry off to bed. I am sure I have read about it somewhere out there though!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Happily I don't share your depressing view of Geelong's future

It seems I am not alone either

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-11/is-fords-failure-a-blessing-for-geelong/4812996

That's because you're a public servant. Just got a pay rise too.

Nothing in that article says anything about creating work for unskilled or factory workers. Waffles on about some wanky artists and tourism. Nothing about jobs for the kinds of people who'll lose them.

Having lived in Geelong all my life there's sod all reason to come to Geelong itself.

They built a bypass so people didn't need to bother coming into it, they could bypass it and go to the tourist destinations further up the road.

Dec 29, 2011
Yes but I don't see you out there digging it up... They are providing a service that has a high start up cost which means there are more barriers to entry in the market which causes an oligopoly which causes high prices which create high profits for the person providing the service. Welcome to Macroeconomics 101...

Sorry to burst your bubble but this isn't Macroeconomics.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
"Six protesters are attempting to scale the tallest building in western Europe, The Shard.

Greenpeace said it was protesting against Shell's Arctic drilling, which the oil company said was "not new"."

Some of these people are real idiots.

So Shell are drilling in the Arctic? Good. We need more oil. The Arctic is vast and unused. A little bit of drilling is not going to be a problem.

You have to be joking with this post. if not, you are a complete ignorant fool. Do some research into Shell.....and alternate energies to oil (and see how they were quashed).....and while your at it, check out the 200k kids murdered in Iraq....for oil.

yes, people wanting a better world are idiots........sigh.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oooh, here we go.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That's because you're a public servant. Just got a pay rise too.

Nothing in that article says anything about creating work for unskilled or factory workers. Waffles on about some wanky artists and tourism. Nothing about jobs for the kinds of people who'll lose them.

Having lived in Geelong all my life there's sod all reason to come to Geelong itself.

They built a bypass so people didn't need to bother coming into it, they could bypass it and go to the tourist destinations further up the road.

As someone who has chosen to live in Geelong I think it has a great deal to offer and the potential to offer a whole lot more. I love the place and think it is a fantastic placeto live and bring up my planet destroying kids.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You have to be joking with this post. if not, you are a complete ignorant fool. Do some research into Shell.....and alternate energies to oil (and see how they were quashed).....and while your at it, check out the 200k kids murdered in Iraq....for oil.

yes, people wanting a better world are idiots........sigh.

What about all the people killed for Paprika? Don't forget them.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
could either of you cite an example of this occuring, or just going with the urban myth? if there are such patents they would be public knowledge. after 20 years patents expire so become available to anyone to use, assuming that someone from a country that doesnt respect the patent hasnt already done so. Russia and China, those well known adherents to intellectual property, havent produced any viable alternatives to the internal combustion engine, so just where is this technology?

end of the day we all use copius amounts of oil and oil derived products, in fact there is more $ revenue from the non-fuel applications than burning it. we have no place to critisise companies who get the stuff for us. unless you live in a power-free cave or tree house with a patch of land and well and wear handmade skins and woolens.

here you are again defending the wonderful status quo.....sigh.

research Tesla, watch "who killed the electric car," or investigate the water powered engine.

no place to critisice Shell or BP...? are you for real? you have to be a troll of some sort, or just completely ignorant.....i go with troll....or maybe even an internet bot that goes to forums in some status quo equilibrium maintaining algorithm.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
As someone who has chosen to live in Geelong I think it has a great deal to offer and the potential to offer a whole lot more. I love the place and think it is a fantastic placeto live and bring up my planet destroying kids.

Like?

How does it find jobs for all the laid off workers?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
here you are again defending the wonderful status quo.....sigh.

research Tesla, watch "who killed the electric car," or investigate the water powered engine.

And how would those electric cars have been powered, by electricity created by coal? See the problem there?

And where would you get enough water to power a world full of cars? Apparently there's not enough drinking water as there is. Maybe we can melt all the ice packs to provide more water for water powered engines aye?

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Be interesting to see the results of their climb in the morning. Hope their gear holds out, which undoubtedly some of it is made from an oil based product.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here