Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Protester climbs onto crucible snooker table

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I don't think those engaging in environmental activism seeking the survival of multiple species and a decent human future are on a wilful ego trip. You can bet your bottom dollar that BHA fans did alienate some of the public
The has to be a certain amount of ego trip to have an attitude "I must disrupt the enjoyment of thousands of people because I know and care much more than they do".

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

seems to be confusing publicity with support, on the basis they support the strategy so everyone else will.

the thing is, those that actively support the cause are already in some way involved and engaged. if they want to gain support they want to reach those that aren't engaged in an assertive and positive manner to convey the message. disrupting the snooker is not going to endear the cause to the snooker following community, who'll grumble and moan, instead of stop using their SUV or write to their MP to reduce industry in the town. like XR protests on public transport, just pissed off commuters rather than winning them over the cause.

if they have half a brain this weekend there will be no disruption in London, because the threat of disruption has already given them the publicity. if they disrupt the massive charity run, it will only impact their cause negatively.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The has to be a certain amount of ego trip to have an attitude "I must disrupt the enjoyment of thousands of people because I know and care much more than they do".
Yes, you've consistently shown that you're smug, complacent, 'serious', 'sensible', etc. I think you're an egoist fwiw. I find it odd that somebody is deemed an egoist for performing an action that will lead to a criminal record and, depending on the judge, a period behind bars.
And I know that carbon emissions are still rising. Had you twigged that too?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, you've consistently shown that you're smug, complacent, 'serious', 'sensible', etc. I think you're an egoist fwiw. I find it odd that somebody is deemed an egoist for performing an action that will lead to a criminal record and, depending on the judge, a period behind bars.
And I know that carbon emissions are still rising. Had you twigged that too?
Why do you think the op is an egoist?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
seems to be confusing publicity with support, on the basis they support the strategy so everyone else will.

the thing is, those that actively support the cause are already in some way involved and engaged. if they want to gain support they want to reach those that aren't engaged in an assertive and positive manner to convey the message. disrupting the snooker is not going to endear the cause to the snooker following community, who'll grumble and moan, instead of stop using their SUV or write to their MP to reduce industry in the town. like XR protests on public transport, just pissed off commuters rather than winning them over the cause.

if they have half a brain this weekend there will be no disruption in London, because the threat of disruption has already given them the publicity. if they disrupt the massive charity run, it will only impact their cause negatively.
…hence maybe the football?

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
She died before WW1, and women got the vote in 1928. I imagine they'd have got the vote without her death. Women won the right in the US in 1919, but they didn't die in front of horses. Maybe her death delayed women getting the vote.
Exactly this, we were moving towards women getting the vote, just like we're moving towards weening ourselves off fosil fuels.
In neither case will dramatic public protests have made a blind bit of difference

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
See they have refused to rule out doing something at this weekends football fixtures…
As long as they don't do something that would actually be smart, like blocking roads so supporters can't get into London, I'm not too worried. If their plan is to run on the pitch at some point, then good luck, you'll get arrested and the game can continue.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

That's not what the thread is saying though. It suggests that despite people actually being angry and despising the protestors for their disruption, the topic does rise in the public consciousness and impact voting intentions and therefore policy because of it. Non disruptive protest tends to not get the same traction. The thread is arguing that those that say you are alienating your cause through their actions are wrong.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That's not what the thread is saying though. It suggests that despite people actually being angry and despising the protestors for their disruption, the topic does rise in the public consciousness and impact voting intentions and therefore policy because of it. Non disruptive protest tends to not get the same traction. The thread is arguing that those that say you are alienating your cause through their actions are wrong.
Voting intention which way?

Personally these JSO wallies have put me off ever voting Green in my life. If they stop our game on Sunday they'll also lose a lot of younger voters or people like my son who can vote in just over a year.

Same thing happened with Brexit. The more people stated what a stupid idea it was the more other people dug their heals in and eventually a common sense outcome was totally avoided. The bellend who then spent the next three years outside Parliament yelling "STOP BREXIT!" during every news broadcast only made people hate him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Voting intention which way?

Personally these JSO wallies have put me off ever voting Green in my life. If they stop our game on Sunday they'll also lose a lot of younger voters or people like my son who can vote in just over a year.

Same thing happened with Brexit. The more people stated what a stupid idea it was the more other people dug their heals in and eventually a common sense outcome was totally avoided. The bellend who then spent the next three years outside Parliament yelling "STOP BREXIT!" during every news broadcast only made people hate him.
Three years? Steve Bray has been there for nearly seven years. He is crowd funded by his supporters. Tory politicians hate him and the odd internet contributor, but from what I've seen he has far more supporters than detractors.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Three years? Steve Bray has been there for nearly seven years. He is crowd funded by his supporters. Tory politicians hate him and the odd internet contributor, but from what I've seen he has far more supporters than detractors.
Most people think he's an idiot.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Most people think he's an idiot.
Come on GB, you know better than to use the 'most people' trope. You don't know most people.

I only know that he has a lot of support via social media and is well supported via crowd funding. When the police took his equipment away, there were offers from legal beagles saying it was unlawful, and many offering to replace the speakers, amplifiers etc.
You obviously don't agree with his methods but he does get up the noses of politicians who want to ride roughshod over us all.
Why should he be quiet?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
well i read it as increasing the profile leads to increased agreement on the issue, assumes awareness means support, so more people will join the cause. because if you are aware of this issue you must be in agreement its very imporant, and that their solution must be the right one. i heard lady from JSO make similar case on Newsnight, seems a common belief in this circle. like said earlier, their ego trip drives them to conclusion everything they do is right. i agree direct action gains publicity, i dont agree it necessarily leads to positive engagement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here