Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Protester climbs onto crucible snooker table

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
It's a true but worthless contribution to the debate. Why is the population increasing so fast? Because better medical provision in the poorer countries is helping people live longer and helping more of their children grow up to adulthood. What's the solution?
they have so many kids as that is their pension, the more kids that survive the parents, the more comfortable their dotage will be. the solution is to educate the kids, especially the females, as they tend to start their own businesses, and therefore are not beholden to men. they then have a lot fewer kids, starting much later in life. oh, and lots of free contraception.

we haven't failed until we give up

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The ‘I’m alright, Jack’ attitude.
Its common. The its all China's fault and whatever we do has little or no effect is well ingrained and its not just in the UK.

The first time I realised the world was really failing was the Rio summit in 1992. Change is coming but its very very late, from here its damage control

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Get a tens of thousands of pissed up football fans having a special day out, add the London marathon, add tens of thousands of protestors… … profit?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Get a tens of thousands of pissed up football fans having a special day out, add the London marathon, add tens of thousands of protestors… … profit?
someone's doing a run of FACup/JustStopOil/Marathon scarfs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
they have so many kids as that is their pension, the more kids that survive the parents, the more comfortable their dotage will be. the solution is to educate the kids, especially the females, as they tend to start their own businesses, and therefore are not beholden to men. they then have a lot fewer kids, starting much later in life. oh, and lots of free contraception.

we haven't failed until we give up
Are we talking about Croydon here?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is the snooker tournament still RUINED? Only I've not seen it heard anyone there mention anything about the JSO stunt...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Certainly not poor in global terms, but I'm talking about "relative" poor. There are people living in official poverty who can manage a foreign holiday.
Just goes to show that the definition of poverty is utter twaddle.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Is the snooker tournament still RUINED? Only I've not seen it heard anyone there mention anything about the JSO stunt...
Indeed 30 minute hoover up. Its like the Van Gogh stunt, maximum publicity, minimal damage, and gammons foaming at the mouth

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A spokesperson for the protesters on R5 now. She thinks that the disruption made everyone think about millions starving in India, and the global crisis.

She is apologizing that the government made them do it (interrupt the snooker).

She says they have tried everything and so....

I still don't know who the protest was done by. OK, they are saying now.....not 'extinction rebellion', but 'just stop oil'. A rival organization. Apparently extinction rebellion have changed tactics and do not big disrupts anymore, whereas just stop oil do.

I had one of them berating me some weeks ago when I was driving to the football, at the A2-A251 junction, accusing me of being selfish. No attempt to persuade, just to shame....OK mate.

I am someone concerned by the rabid deforestation of the Amazon, and the burning of fossil fuels in India and China. I note that China want to be the world leaders in environmentally friendly energy (recent media). I would like to see better global engagement with green initiatives. Like everything else in life, greater change will come about when public pressure expressed via the ballot box has it's way.

So the people running in front of race horses, gluing themselves to things, disrupting motorways and throwing paint on snooker tables may all be distinct and different groups with different agendas, but they have conflated themselves in the minds of the public as slightly (and sometimes very) annoying and incoherent babblers.

Why don't they sort themselves out? I suspect the reason is the time-honoured one. For the most active and radical, it is all about them, just as all the radicalism when I was young was all about the activists, their egos, their access to drugs and adoring young women. They are not interested in looking out and into the eye of the general public. They attract a following of the naïve and the damaged. And anyone saying anything like this to any of them would be shouted down or ignored.

Being alien can be comforting. I find a great deal of comfort from my own alien characteristics. But if I want to sell anything, persuade or engage, I have to put my alien-ness aside, and not wave it in people's faces. And there's the rub. As I said, the name of the game is not to persuade. It is to act out. Which can of course be fun, but it won't achieve anything.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

F%$£ing BHA fans and their protesting. Lock 'em up. Throw the keys away.
I didn't have any sense at the time that the people leading the fight to save our club were on a willful ego trip, unconcerned with alienating the general public.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I didn't have any sense at the time that the people leading the fight to save our club were on a willful ego trip, unconcerned with alienating the general public.
I don't think those engaging in environmental activism seeking the survival of multiple species and a decent human future are on a wilful ego trip. You can bet your bottom dollar that BHA fans did alienate some of the public

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here