Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Protester climbs onto crucible snooker table

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Drilling down a bit. Two of the M25 protestors had 17 convictions between them, and each time had received community orders. At what point does a custodial sentence become appropriate? Serious question. What can you do when people repeatedly break the law, are given reformative rather than punitive outcomes, then immediately reoffend 16 more times?
Vote in a government who aren’t taking huge donations from oil companies. Liz Truss worked for Shell.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Drilling down a bit. Two of the M25 protestors had 17 convictions between them, and each time had received community orders. At what point does a custodial sentence become appropriate? Serious question. What can you do when people repeatedly break the law, are given reformative rather than punitive outcomes, then immediately reoffend 16 more times?
Why do people come to me with serious questions? I've literally just suggested burning people.
Legally, I'd suggest that individuals should be punished according to the crimes they have committed. If they're repeat offenders, they should at some point (depending on the specific nature of their crimes) be given a custodial sentence.
Also, based on the content of your post, they presumably reoffended 7/8 times each, not 16. But that's pedanticism on my part.
But separate to that, it is "Important" that people are able to protest, and by it's nature that will sometimes mean people are inconvenienced. There are plenty of causes that I don't have any interest in, and plenty of protests that would deeply annoy or frustrate me personally (and for what it's worth I have been to see the snooker at the Crucible), but the law should not be manipulated to prevent people trying to raise awareness of their cause.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes but the point is, like the M25 ones, I think it turns more people against these protestors and ultimately the cause. They do more harm then good with annoying stunts like this in my opinion…
But I'm sure people said the same thing about the suffragettes when Emily Davidson threw herself in front of a racehorse.

Or perhaps more pertinently, Albion fans didn't protest just with strongly worded letters to the Argus when the club was being asset stripped. I remember a former NSC member doing time for threatening David Bellotti. You want me to condemn the threat of physical violence when three greedy c##ts were stealing what they could from the community's football club? Will I f***. Fair play to him for taking one for the team when it counted.

Sometimes direct action is the only way to make a point.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Vote in a government who aren’t taking huge donations from oil companies. Liz Truss worked for Shell.
I’m sorry, you’ve lost me. What does that have to do with law and order? I don’t like the government either but I don’t see the relevance. If someone has about nine convictions for repeatedly doing the same thing, what other recourse is there in law than a custodial sentence?

I support efforts to mitigate climate change. I’ve said that a couple of times.

I don’t support people (extreme protestors) being berks and trivialising and damaging what is a very serious business.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Cue around the head if was me. Might knock some sense into them. F@#£ing morons
On television with a thousand witnesses. You’d hardly need to go to court to get convicted of, at best Aggravated GBH, at worst, murder.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m sorry, you’ve lost me. What does that have to do with law and order? I don’t like the government either but I don’t see the relevance. If someone has about nine convictions for repeatedly doing the same thing, what other recourse is there in law than a custodial sentence?

I support efforts to mitigate climate change. I’ve said that a couple of times.

I don’t support people (extreme protestors) being berks and trivialising and damaging what is a very serious business.
I have already posted this, but the law changed last year. Now it can be 10 years for a first time offence.
Yes there are some repeat offenders, but the draconian prison sentences are not a deterrent.

Part of the protest is because this government is going back on its Net Zero commitment, receiving donations from oil companies, and even discouraging farmers from having solar panels in their fields. It’s very relevant.
I pointed out to one MP ranting about agricultural land, being wasted but the reality is, some land has such poor soil, only sheep can graze.
Best of both worlds
81E5B6D4-B4C0-48FC-B720-1C7172797EBA.jpeg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Based upon what exactly? General consensus is that it did so why would you think otherwise?
Is what based upon what? The idea that several things contributed to women getting the vote?

As TB said, women's involvement in the war effort highlighted that they should be treated equally. The US progressing would also have influenced the UK - it's not a good look when you're stuck in the past as the world moves on.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
How would the ambulance get to the hospital? They would presumably take the M25 if it was the fastest route. If they have to go a slower route, it can’t be good for the patient can it? It doesn’t matter if it’s a day warning or a month.
Was there an ambulance? Inventing one certainly made more headlines and sold more copy.

Media at it's absolute worst.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is what based upon what? The idea that several things contributed to women getting the vote?

As TB said, women's involvement in the war effort highlighted that they should be treated equally. The US progressing would also have influenced the UK - it's not a good look when you're stuck in the past as the world moves on.
Many people were shocked at the tragic loss of life. The government were stubborn and so it took the war effort to finally start getting the message through, but believe me, Emily’s death was very significant.
There are even people now, who think women should keep quiet!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Locking people up is very rarely the answer to anything. The prison system being what it is, often results in custodians being doubly determined to reoffend upon release.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Locking people up is very rarely the answer to anything. The prison system being what it is, often results in custodians being doubly determined to reoffend upon release.
What is the alternative? A different alternative to the six/seven prior which clearly haven’t worked?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What is the alternative? A different alternative to the six/seven prior which clearly haven’t worked?
Politicians who start implementing decent policies. Unfortunately we don’t have that here at the moment.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Politicians who start implementing decent policies. Unfortunately we don’t have that here at the moment.
Does that mean I could commit repeated low level crime with impunity because I don’t like the government? Sorry, I don’t buy it. We all have grievances.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Does that mean I could commit repeated low level crime with impunity because I don’t like the government? Sorry, I don’t buy it. We all have grievances.
It depends if your dislike is enough to make you want to help others.

Britain is paying the highest energy bills in the world. THE WORLD.

Think about pensioners who can’t afford to heat their homes, or Mums who starve themselves to feed their children because a monthly electric bill has come in for £300.
It’s not covid, it’s not the war in Ukraine, it is this government in the pockets of oil companies. Besides the donations, they get VAT on the bill.
VAT they promised to remove when we left the EU, blaming Brussels for it, yet Spain has lowered theirs since last summer, so more lies, and lies upon lies.

I’m too old to protest now, but think well done to those who do. The French know how to protest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What are this person’s previous convictions? I can’t suggest and alternative sentence unless I know this. :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But I'm sure people said the same thing about the suffragettes when Emily Davidson threw herself in front of a racehorse.

Or perhaps more pertinently, Albion fans didn't protest just with strongly worded letters to the Argus when the club was being asset stripped. I remember a former NSC member doing time for threatening David Bellotti. You want me to condemn the threat of physical violence when three greedy c##ts were stealing what they could from the community's football club? Will I f***. Fair play to him for taking one for the team when it counted.

Sometimes direct action is the only way to make a point.
Sure, but BHA fans weren't gluing themselves to roads, molesting horses, abusing dwarves or going out of their way to generally bollocks up the lives of the general public in order to make a point.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sure, but BHA fans weren't gluing themselves to roads, molesting horses, abusing dwarves or going out of their way to generally bollocks up the lives of the general public in order to make a point.
Have you been personally affected by any Stop Oil protest so far? Did you haver a ticket at the Crucible, or despite warnings beforehand, get caught up in a motorway traffic jam?

Protests are meant to be disruptive, and I would say the marches along the seafront to the Labour & Lib Dem conferences, about planning permission for the Amex, were quite disruptive to local traffic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No gluing to roads but we did slow down/stop traffic on the Old Shoreham Road by deliberately and repeatedly pressing the crossing buttons.….and then walking back and forth….repeat and repeat . There was the jamming of the Focus help line number and the post-Brentford incident where numerous Albion supporters clogged up the local Focus tills by putting loads of small items through, claiming wallets were left in cars and leaving the store never to return to the waiting cashiers. I’m sure this “bollocks up the lives of the general public in order to make a point.”

I agree no horses were molested though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have you been personally affected by any Stop Oil protest so far? Did you haver a ticket at the Crucible, or despite warnings beforehand, get caught up in a motorway traffic jam?

Protests are meant to be disruptive, and I would say the marches along the seafront to the Labour & Lib Dem conferences, about planning permission for the Amex, were quite disruptive to local traffic.
No, not so far. And the marches on the seafront were planned and granted in accordance with permission from the council, not ad-hoc actions like these goons who turn up at the drop of a hat and start hanging off gantries over the QE2 Bridge or the M25.

If they get in my way on Sunday and hold up my progress to Wembley, then regardless of their cause, I shall not be held responsible for my actions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here