Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Prostate Cancer

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
@AmexRuislip I'm glad you're still breathing, too!
This year I had both younger sisters have mastectomies and my brother waiting for prostate cancer treatment. So thought I'd repeat the PSA with PCSaO.
4.1 and amber. Up from the borderline 3 in February by 33%. Appointment made with GP to join the surveillance club.

Like to point out that all siblings are doing ok and no serious problems thanks to speedy treatment and surveillance.

Great news for me as my repeat PSA at GP has shown a decrease to 3.82, taking me under the line for age and back to GREEN. Still a high percentage increase of 3 to 3.8.
I am seeing the GP next week to discus the result and the inflammation in the area. It feels as if I've sat on a solid bouncy bike seat for hours on end.

Anyone wanting a PSA test can't go wrong with this lot. https://pcaso.mypsatests.org.uk/

Lord Charles

Oct 16, 2010
Bedford
Time to bounce this thread I think. Also time for me to stop lurking and start posting...

Thanks to everyone for raising the prostate issue. As a direct result of this thread and general media awareness I asked my GP for a PSA test, which was initially REFUSED due to zero symptoms and no family history.

Anyway, bit of a shock when two PSA tests came back over 6.5. I was then referred for the dreaded DRE and then MRI and biopsy. My urologist called me in last week to discuss the results, and the bombshell is that I have prostate cancer.

The massive upside is that only one of 28 biopsy samples showed cancer, which is of the slow growing variety and entirely contained within the prostate.

As a result I've been put on active surveillance with quarterly PSA tests and annual MRI to start with. Urologist was confident it won't be an issue for a long time.

I would urge all blokes over 50 to request regular PSA tests, even if, like me, you show no symptoms. It could be a life saver.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Time to bounce this thread I think. Also time for me to stop lurking and start posting...

Thanks to everyone for raising the prostate issue. As a direct result of this thread and general media awareness I asked my GP for a PSA test, which was initially REFUSED due to zero symptoms and no family history.

Anyway, bit of a shock when two PSA tests came back over 6.5. I was then referred for the dreaded DRE and then MRI and biopsy. My urologist called me in last week to discuss the results, and the bombshell is that I have prostate cancer.

The massive upside is that only one of 28 biopsy samples showed cancer, which is of the slow growing variety and entirely contained within the prostate.

As a result I've been put on active surveillance with quarterly PSA tests and annual MRI to start with. Urologist was confident it won't be an issue for a long time.

I would urge all blokes over 50 to request regular PSA tests, even if, like me, you show no symptoms. It could be a life saver.
I wish you the best of luck.
I'm glad you pushed back, re yr doctor.
Just goes to show they've got yr life in their hands.
Be positive.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
"You have the right to a PSA test if you’re over 50 and you’ve thought carefully about the advantages and disadvantages. If you’re Black or you have a family history of prostate cancer, this can increase your own risk – so you may want to speak to your GP about having a PSA test from the age of 45."

I've had a enlarged prostate (now known as a 'King Charles') for a number of years, managed with meds, and with family history, I also have follow ups every year. If you have concerns then please get checked, don't be one of the '1-in-8'

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I have had PSA tests for a number of years and all low. The latest concerns re PSA not being that good an indicator, and having a low peeing pressure, I opted to pay to see a consultant. He reckons my low PSA results were likely from me having a small prostate and this may be the cause of my low flow (I scored a 5 when a 10 is rated low!). Did ultra scan to confirm no cancer. Tablets prescribed to relax bladder. Hopefully not too relaxed!!😂 next step would be internal exam - and we all know what that means.
Thought I’d share this update.
Had an internal inspection - good news is no cancer but the prostate had become misshapen and created a sort of flap that restricts the flow of urine from my bladder. I am now down for a TURP operation to cut the flap away. Hopefully that’ll sort both the flow problem and allow the bladder to empty properly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Had an internal inspection - good news is no cancer but the prostate had become misshapen and created a sort of flap that restricts the flow of urine from my bladder. I am now down for a TURP operation to cut the flap away. Hopefully that’ll sort both the flow problem and allow the bladder to empty properly.
Sounds like good news.

After my 24 biopsies and the all clear, I recommend anyone with the slightest disconcertion to get it checked.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I have regular PSA tests in connection with another condition and I struggle to understand why (some?) GPs are reluctant to agree to them, given that my understanding is that PC is the most common form of cancer in men. Seems a bit of a contrast with the NHS's keenness to get us on statins. Or are statins relatively cheap / effective compared with PSA tests and subsequent interventions? Genuine question for those in the know (@Harry Wilson's tackle ?).

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Glad it's not cancer and hopefully you'll get sorted.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have regular PSA tests in connection with another condition and I struggle to understand why (some?) GPs are reluctant to agree to them, given that my understanding is that PC is the most common form of cancer in men. Seems a bit of a contrast with the NHS's keenness to get us on statins. Or are statins relatively cheap / effective compared with PSA tests and subsequent interventions? Genuine question for those in the know (@Harry Wilson's tackle ?).
Money.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I always have my PSA tests done through various charity organisations who set these up. I have regular blood tests through my gp for another potential condition and once got them to do a PSA- gp got back and had a bit of a moan saying he didn’t believe that they were as reliable as some might think. 🤷🏻‍♂️
So I guess some gps do take the money to value ratio quite seriously. I like you think they’re wrong.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Small extract from an article in the DT that some might find interesting

Study finds 3 per cent cardiorespiratory fitness rise annually decreases chances of disease, which kills 12,000 men a year in UK

Michael Searles, HEALTH CORRESPONDENT30 January 2024 • 11:30pm

Men could cut their risk of prostate cancer by more than a third if they improve their fitness levels by just 3 per cent a year, a study has suggested.
Experts have found a statistical link between changes in men’s fitness levels and their risk of developing the cancer for the first time.
The study of more than 57,000 men, with an average age of 41, found that those who were able to increase their cardiorespiratory fitness by 3 per cent each year were 35 per cent less likely to develop prostate cancer, than those who did not.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Study finds 3 per cent cardiorespiratory fitness rise annually decreases chances of disease, which kills 12,000 men a year in UK

Men could cut their risk of prostate cancer by more than a third if they improve their fitness levels by just 3 per cent a year, a study has suggested.
Experts have found a statistical link between changes in men’s fitness levels and their risk of developing the cancer for the first time.
The study of more than 57,000 men, with an average age of 41, found that those who were able to increase their cardiorespiratory fitness by 3 per cent each year were 35 per cent less likely to develop prostate cancer, than those who did not.
Thanks Lamie, that's an interesting point.
I guess it all depends on how men look after themselves, not just to avoid getting PC, but even other health issues like diabetes or heart issues.....

I've always been around the 10.5 stone mark and kept reasonably fit throughout my life and still ended up with PC.
I do hope this thread stands as a reminder for all who haven't been checked, to do so.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Interesting…….improving cardiovascular by 3% a year as you plod through middle age is pretty bloody difficult…..maintaining it is hard enough !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here