Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Prostate Cancer

worthingweird

Mar 8, 2023
Hi All, hope you're well.
I seem to be putting on weight rather than losing it, stpped all beer and wine, but still putting weight on. I've been having hormone treatmment as well as a prostap injection, waiting for radiotherapy... has anyone else had this problem, take care all...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I have had urology issues for a few years. Pretty minor but annoying when they happen.. I had a flare up recently. All dealt with by anti- biotics but in the process then - my GP has several times now, got the gloves on (male and female) , reached for the gel, and done a prostate check. Uncomfortable for a few seconds but Its pretty straightforward and for over 50s - they are happy to do it if you're worried. Thank god - all clear but as with others on this thread. Always best to get it checked out .

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's strange, for someone whose had prostrate cancer, and had the entire prostrate removed, when people are saddened by someone's diagnosis. When I fully appreciated what the huge advantage is of an early diagnosis I felt incredibly lucky. I know it's only a phrase but PLEASE everyone, if you have any symptoms or just feel "off" get checked out, an early diagnosis is so much better than blissful ignorance. Big love, Tim

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

i had a test on Saturday through these people - the Prostate Cancer Support Organisation. The test is free, takes about two minutes (just taking a blood sample), but you are invited to make a donation. I received the result yesterday by email, which was green - nothing to indicate there is a problem.

it comes with lots of caveats that, even if your test is green, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re clear and, conversely, that most people whose test is not clear won’t have prostate cancer. I was aware from previous conversations with my GP that it was an inexact science, but it is an indication.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Just had a positive biopsy, radical prostatectomy for me it would appear. Thankfully the cancer is entirely contained within the prostate. Ho-hum!

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
Just had a positive biopsy, radical prostatectomy for me it would appear. Thankfully the cancer is entirely contained within the prostate. Ho-hum!
Best wishes to you. It’s exactly the same for me. Unfortunately they also picked up something called parathyroidism through my blood tests and won’t operate on the prostate until I’ve had surgery for that. It’s all a bit overwhelming at the moment but as others have said, it’s better to get these things identified as early as possible and if I hadn’t had the PSA test I wouldn’t be aware of either condition and things would be a lot worse!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Best wishes to you. It’s exactly the same for me. Unfortunately they also picked up something called parathyroidism through my blood tests and won’t operate on the prostate until I’ve had surgery for that. It’s all a bit overwhelming at the moment but as others have said, it’s better to get these things identified as early as possible and if I hadn’t had the PSA test I wouldn’t be aware of either condition and things would be a lot worse!
Best wishes for a successful outcome

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

i had a test on Saturday through these people - the Prostate Cancer Support Organisation. The test is free, takes about two minutes (just taking a blood sample), but you are invited to make a donation. I received the result yesterday by email, which was green - nothing to indicate there is a problem.

it comes with lots of caveats that, even if your test is green, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re clear and, conversely, that most people whose test is not clear won’t have prostate cancer. I was aware from previous conversations with my GP that it was an inexact science, but it is an indication.
As far as I understand, a better indicator (other than a very high PSA level) is a noticeable increase in one's PSA level...from one test to another.
So, I hope they gave you your actual PSA reading alongside your green rating 🤔.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here