Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Prostate Cancer

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It just seems odd that someone having the same Op as me, but getting PSA results from a different hospital, has the all-clear, but could have a reading of 0.05, and I'm at 0.02-0.04 and not had the all clear?
i think it all depends on your attitude towards doctors , mine is .08 5yrs post op , my surgeon has told me that my area of work can affect the reading , lots of chemicals in the building industry , he said if it continues to rise i can have a PET scan but looking for anything at this stage is pointless as it won't show up.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm 40 but with no family history that I know of and no symptoms. Should I still get a PSA test?
Totally up to you if your really worried about it.
Just depends on if you have a doc that listens, instead of trying to dissuade you.
I was 55 with no symptoms or family history :shrug:

Jul 7, 2003
I went along to Care For Veterans yesterday where the local Lions club were hosting one of the free PSA testing events.

All very well organised and I was in and out of there in less than 10 minutes. Seemed like they had loads of people going along which was great to see.

One thing that annoyed me though was the well dressed, elderly bloke who left just before me. As you walked out, they asked politely if you would like to give a donation to the Prostate Cancer charity. They had a bucket there, envelopes and card machines. This guy looked at the person who asked as if he was a piece of crap on his shoe and gave a very blunt “no” and walked out.

I know not everyone is in a position to give a donation. However, this bloke couldn’t even be civil enough to give a polite “sorry, I can’t”. With so many volunteers giving up their time to run this event, surely some basic manners and a “thank you” on your way out shouldn’t be beyond people.

Jul 7, 2003
I had my PSA test on Saturday morning and received an email this morning to say my results were ready. Highly impressed with how quickly these have been turned around.

Good news is my result is 0.93 so low risk at my age (55) but won't stop me keeping on this thread as it is so helpful on so many levels.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I had my PSA test on Saturday morning and received an email this morning to say my results were ready. Highly impressed with how quickly these have been turned around.

Good news is my result is 0.93 so low risk at my age (55) but won't stop me keeping on this thread as it is so helpful on so many levels.
That's fantastic news for you, similarly with me, I had my 3rd PSA reading of 0.01 the other day.
Great relief for us both here.
Brilliant staff at Charing Cross Hospital, always keeping me informed and support.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
I'm just 60 and have no symptoms to cause concern. but thought I sd be checked and my GP was pretty insistent there was no point due to possible false negs and my lack of symptoms. however my father, like many/most elderly men had to have treatment in his mid-80s so there is some family history. My bro lives in Oz and they are far more proactive over there.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm just 60 and have no symptoms to cause concern. but thought I sd be checked and my GP was pretty insistent there was no point due to possible false negs and my lack of symptoms. however my father, like many/most elderly men had to have treatment in his mid-80s so there is some family history. My bro lives in Oz and they are far more proactive over there.
Nevertheless it's always better to get checked out.
Banging on and all that, that's why I got checked out, no symptoms apart from wait loss, I was 55!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I have had PSA tests for a number of years and all low. The latest concerns re PSA not being that good an indicator, and having a low peeing pressure, I opted to pay to see a consultant. He reckons my low PSA results were likely from me having a small prostate and this may be the cause of my low flow (I scored a 5 when a 10 is rated low!). Did ultra scan to confirm no cancer. Tablets prescribed to relax bladder. Hopefully not too relaxed!!😂 next step would be internal exam - and we all know what that means.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I have had PSA tests for a number of years and all low. The latest concerns re PSA not being that good an indicator, and having a low peeing pressure, I opted to pay to see a consultant. He reckons my low PSA results were likely from me having a small prostate and this may be the cause of my low flow (I scored a 5 when a 10 is rated low!). Did ultra scan to confirm no cancer. Tablets prescribed to relax bladder. Hopefully not too relaxed!!😂 next step would be internal exam - and we all know what that means.
Hoping you get things sorted.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I'm 40 but with no family history that I know of and no symptoms. Should I still get a PSA test?

Yes, there is no good reason not to get the PSA test done.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

I've been very much where you are and my PSA went crazy and I had an Op within days. Very happy to chat things through with you, answer any questions or just listen, feel free to PM me or any of the others, we're all one big family, take care T

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here