Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Propper?

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Why do people automatically assume, that just because a player isn't included in the squad, for what is to all intensive purposes, no more than a training exercise, that he is about to leave the club?

Crazy :ffsparr:

"all intensive purposes " made me giggle a great deal.

The phrase you're looking for is "all intents and purposes" I think.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Propper is a CLASS player. Sell? You’re joking - yes there are occasions you could strangle him for giving the ball away in defence cheaply but overall he makes a significant difference to the team and should always be in the 16 on a match day - thankfully his absence is apparently down to just a knock - sell? Shut up!

It’s very revealing really how people watch the game. Propper is without doubt a Potter type player, I just don’t think people realise the work he gets through because it’s the type of football that isn’t on their radar. This isn’t a criticism of said fans, every club has them, the ones who just can’t understand the player the manager always picks. There is a reason the manager is always picking him because he’s following his instructions to the letter. Managers don’t generally keep picking players because they’re stubborn, it’s because they’re their best option for the job they want done.

Fully expect Propper to remain integral to Potter’s plans.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
It would be a bit of a shame if we only retained our first 11. Selling everyone who doesn’t make the squad for a friendly would seem a little short sighted, particularly since GP changes his team every week. The chances of today’s central midfield playing every game this season are zero.

GP did change his team regularly last season but I suspect it will be more settled this season

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Propper is a CLASS player. Sell? You’re joking - yes there are occasions you could strangle him for giving the ball away in defence cheaply but overall he makes a significant difference to the team and should always be in the 16 on a match day - thankfully his absence is apparently down to just a knock - sell? Shut up!

Precisely this, a good all round midfielder who would be sorely missed if he were to leave. Why do people automatically presume he is about to be sold, just because he has been left out of a pre season friendly? The likelyhood always was that he was carrying a bit of an injury, which has proved to be the case.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Has been one of my favourite players of the Premier League era, but just like Dunk, if we were to sell now is the first time I wouldn't worry about replacing him

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s very revealing really how people watch the game. Propper is without doubt a Potter type player, I just don’t think people realise the work he gets through because it’s the type of football that isn’t on their radar. This isn’t a criticism of said fans, every club has them, the ones who just can’t understand the player the manager always picks. There is a reason the manager is always picking him because he’s following his instructions to the letter. Managers don’t generally keep picking players because they’re stubborn, it’s because they’re their best option for the job they want done.

Fully expect Propper to remain integral to Potter’s plans.

But we didn’t seem to miss him on Saturday... did we?

I do agree he’ll be kept in squad rotation, he does offer an alternative and is a good pro, but I expect his first team starts to dry up this season with some of the talent we now have in midfield. Eg:

Alzate, Lallana, Biss, Gross, Molumby

Will all go ahead of him, in my opinion, not to mention others who could play more narrow if asked.

I know this annoys a few here but am happy to have this quote bounced if I’m wrong. We’re not aiming to just avoid relegation anymore and that means evolving the squad so we can become a top 10 team.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But we didn’t seem to miss him on Saturday... did we?

I do agree he’ll be kept in squad rotation, he does offer an alternative and is a good pro, but I expect his first team starts to dry up this season with some of the talent we now have in midfield. Eg:

Alzate, Lallana, Biss, Gross, Molumby

Will all go ahead of him, in my opinion, not to mention others who could play more narrow if asked.

I know this annoys a few here but am happy to have this quote bounced if I’m wrong. We’re not aiming to just avoid relegation anymore and that means evolving the squad so we can become a top 10 team.

Lallana and Gross aren’t competing for a role in the side with Propper imho. We didn’t miss him because we have an excellent squad building, doesn’t make Propper a poorer option due to good quality alternatives. So positives all round. Whether Alzate and Bissouma become first choice remains to be seen - great pairing and as said great signs to have this flexibility.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Last summer we spent £20m on a new CB for an established Championship player, this summer Leeds have reportedly bid £30m for White. If we had sold Duffy last summer after him being our POTS we could expect such a figure, now we will be lucky to get £10m for him. I wonder if the club will listen to offers this year whilst his stock is high rather than risk a significantly lower value next summer for a squad player

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Last summer we spent £20m on a new CB for an established Championship player, this summer Leeds have reportedly bid £30m for White. If we had sold Duffy last summer after him being our POTS we could expect such a figure, now we will be lucky to get £10m for him. I wonder if the club will listen to offers this year whilst his stock is high rather than risk a significantly lower value next summer for a squad player

Ajax will be loaded with the Van De Beek money - I think we could make a profit on Pröpper if the Dutch champs really want him. Davy is a great player but is behind Biss with Alzate, Molumby and Stephens all capable.

They’ll sign him from us if they go after him properly.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm not a big Pröpper fan, he loses the ball in dangerous areas, but I think if he stays (which is the most likely outcome), he will be in the starting eleven more often than not. His place in the starting eleven is under threat, but he remains the most complete player in the team: physical, technical, able to do passes that open up, good defensive positioning, decent header... he is all-inclusive and pretty useful whatever the game state.

He will have to work hard to keep his place but I think by the end of the season he is going to have 30 or so games under his belt again. Next year I want him gone though.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Well if he ain’t good enough for the Dutch then he definitely ain’t good enough for the mighty Albion’s squad!
Sell him to Leeds for 40+ mill and be done with it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ajax will be loaded with the Van De Beek money - I think we could make a profit on Pröpper if the Dutch champs really want him. Davy is a great player but is behind Biss with Alzate, Molumby and Stephens all capable.

They’ll sign him from us if they go after him properly.

Yup.. its Ajax or Brighton. They were looking for a midfielder even before van de Beek was on his way out, so they will likely go for two now, maybe even three as they shipped Razvan Marin, and need to add some experience to their young squad. Pröpper is a fairly likely option.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm not a big Pröpper fan, he loses the ball in dangerous areas, but I think if he stays (which is the most likely outcome), he will be in the starting eleven more often than not. His place in the starting eleven is under threat, but he remains the most complete player in the team: physical, technical, able to do passes that open up, good defensive positioning, decent header... he is all-inclusive and pretty useful whatever the game state.

He will have to work hard to keep his place but I think by the end of the season he is going to have 30 or so games under his belt again. Next year I want him gone though.

Have you ever seen Davy Propper play live? . . . no, l didn't think so.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

You say that - and yes he's good on the ball and has a nice turn. But in 100 games at BHA, he has 2 goals, 7 assists, and 19% on target shooting accuracy. For a player of his ability, I'd expect better than that tbh.

He has his merits, but I don't think we're gonna miss him overly if he moves on. Not with what we have coming through.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I feel sorry for Davy as we don’t play to his strengths as an attacking midfielder.

He is not an attacking midfielder. He does not have the speed, the shooting or passing ability to be considered an attacking midfielder.

I can only imagine that this nonsense comes from his 3 goals for Holland. He has only been used as an AM a few times for Holland and his goals came against Bulgaria and Belarus.

Look at the below stats for his 100 (One Hundred) league games for BHA

Attack
Goals2
Goals per match 0.02
Headed goals 1
Goals with right foot 1
Goals with left foot 0
Penalties scored 0
Freekicks scored 0
Shots 80
Shots on target1 5
Shooting accuracy % = 19%