Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Propper going back to PSV **Confirmed 23/06**

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Let's compare him to Bissouma;

In terms of scoring goals, Bissouma has scored 2 goals in 81 PL games, Propper 2 in 107.

In terms of making goals, Bissouma has 0 assists in 81 PL games, Propper has 7 in 107. Last season, Propper averaged 2 shot creating actions per game, this season Bissouma averages 1.62 shot creating actions per game.

In terms of giving away the ball a lot, on average Bissouma gives possession away once every 44 passes, Propper once every 43 passes.

Now, i'm not saying Propper is better than Bissouma but he's clearly not 'not very good'.

Bissouma is 12th in the league for interceptions and 2nd for tackles this season. I haven't checked Propper's stats from previous seasons but I'm certain they don't come close. Propper has been a good player for us and shouldn't be described as 'not very good', but your comparison to Bissouma feels incomplete.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
That role would be mainly keeping the youngsters out and slowing things down, I'm afraid. Done a great job - time to go.

Well yes, that and being the only midfielder who actually contributes assists...

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Wonderful cultured midfielder who was key to the start of our PL journey. Less so now but should be playing regularly if he wants to.

10m EUR is generous, we shouldn't stand in his way.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But him and Bissouma are two different types of players.

Bissouma sits deep, breaks up opposition attacks and instigates transitions to attack.

Propper, generally sits centre mid and looks to create chances - he was never ever a defensive mid or a box-to-box before Hughton. He played that way as a result of Hughton's style of play. In which case, even Glenn Murray played a defensive role.

Agree. Not really comparing like with like

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Classy player, has done an excellent, under rated job for us in the PL. How anyone can say he's 'not a very good PL player' is beyond me.

Well put it this way.

How many PL teams do you see breaking down our door to sign him? I almost guarantee he’ll have no PL interest, which you’d assume he would if he was “a very good PL player” as you suggest.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
On Propper, there's a LOT of revisionism going on here. Considering he signed as a no. 10, never played once in that position and was essentially sacrificed as a defensive midfielder under Hughton, I think he did a sterling job in his first two years for us and his relationship with Stephens was a key factor as to why we stayed up both of those seasons.

Is he glamorous as a footballer? No. Does he score goals from midfield? Not as many as he should (who does?). But did he do a good job protecting the defence and do what was asked of him every game? Yes. Personally, I'm surprised he hasn't had more of a look in (especially when White and Alzate have been in there ahead of him this season), but clearly he doesn't fit Potter's style.

I'm sure he'll do well wherever he ends up and I wish him well.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Well put it this way.

How many PL teams do you see breaking down our door to sign him? I almost guarantee he’ll have no PL interest, which you’d assume he would if he was “a very good PL player” as you suggest.

In the current market, we aren't seeing many clubs breaking down anyone's door to sign anyone.
So that statement is a little churlish.

I would concede the point that the description "very good PL player" could be taken to mean in the top 10 players in his position, which isn't the case.
However I believe Davy remains a PL level player and many clubs would benefit from having them on his books.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
On Propper, there's a LOT of revisionism going on here. Considering he signed as a no. 10, never played once in that position and was essentially sacrificed as a defensive midfielder under Hughton, I think he did a sterling job in his first two years for us and his relationship with Stephens was a key factor as to why we stayed up both of those seasons.

Is he glamorous as a footballer? No. Does he score goals from midfield? Not as many as he should (who does?). But did he do a good job protecting the defence and do what was asked of him every game? Yes. Personally, I'm surprised he hasn't had more of a look in (especially when White and Alzate have been in there ahead of him this season), but clearly he doesn't fit Potter's style.

I'm sure he'll do well wherever he ends up and I wish him well.

I believe he has had Covid and a couple of knocks this season, which may contribute to the lack of appearances.
It definitely isn't the case that he isn't good enough for a 17th in the Prem club.

Only when that club have players in that club that could/have played at a much higher level.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A quality player, who posesses the ability to thread a pass or pick a spot like no other in the team, bar Gross, Who still has a lot to offer and some good years to go. If we lose him and Bissouma this summer it will be a mistake and we will struggle to adjust quickly IMO.

If I were DP, given his opportunities this season I'd be off, back to Europe to play @ PSV, CL and get back in contention for an International spot is not an opportunity to be sniffed at. The fact it is expected is a mark of the man.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In the scheme of things he's one of the best ever Brighton players. Easy on the eye, composed, intelligent, calm.

I'm surprised he hasn't chipped in with some more goals during his time with us. I appreciate he plays a deeper role, but even so you'd kind of expect that he'd fluke a few along the way.

Wouldn't begrudge him a move back to Holland if it meant regular football and a longer contract.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Let's compare him to Bissouma;

In terms of scoring goals, Bissouma has scored 2 goals in 81 PL games, Propper 2 in 107.

In terms of making goals, Bissouma has 0 assists in 81 PL games, Propper has 7 in 107. Last season, Propper averaged 2 shot creating actions per game, this season Bissouma averages 1.62 shot creating actions per game.

In terms of giving away the ball a lot, on average Bissouma gives possession away once every 44 passes, Propper once every 43 passes.

Now, i'm not saying Propper is better than Bissouma but he's clearly not 'not very good'.

Lets not compare him to Bissouma.

Bissouma replaced Dale Stephens as the midfield anchor.

Pröpper in his role as defensive playmaker has been replaced by primarly Gross / Lallana.

Noooooo - he can't go .. Miss all the lovely puns when he's playing:
- "He made a proper mess of that pass'
- "Hes a proper charley at times' etc :)

Not so easy for the others:
- Biss - "ooh he made a biss ou ma mess of that :) "
- Alzate - "(friend) What do you think of Alzate? (me) He's not All zat good :( "

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well yes, that and being the only midfielder who actually contributes assists...
....apart from Mac Allister and Lallana who do, Alzate and Moder who are likely to after a few more starts (and they also show signs of knowing the way to the back of the net, which is a pretty revolutionary concept for recent Brighton midfielders!), and Caicedo and Molumby who have yet to get the chance to provide assists.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
....apart from Mac Allister and Lallana who do, Alzate and Moder who are likely to after a few more starts (and they also show signs of knowing the way to the back of the net, which is a pretty revolutionary concept for recent Brighton midfielders!), and Caicedo and Molumby who have yet to get the chance to provide assists.

Is that the Lallana and Mac Allister who play in a different, more advanced position and have contributed 2 goals and 2 goals between them in 44 combined appearances (including sub appearances)? So one every 10 games? Those guys? Yes, I can see why that titanic contribution bears resemblance to the 2 goals and 6 assists for Gross' in 29 appearances (also including subs).

That's not to say that I don't rate Lallana or Mac Allister, I really do, but let's not pretend that they haven't been laughably profligate too

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is that the Lallana and Mac Allister who play in a different, more advanced position and have contributed 2 goals and 2 goals between them in 44 combined appearances (including sub appearances)? So one every 10 games? Those guys? Yes, I can see why that titanic contribution bears resemblance to the 2 goals and 6 assists for Gross' in 29 appearances (also including subs).

That's not to say that I don't rate Lallana or Mac Allister, I really do, but let's not pretend that they haven't been laughably profligate too

With the exception of Lallana, who is obviously a relatively short term signing, I'm looking to the future, not the past. Gross has been fantastic VFM; still a good time to go.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Bissouma is 12th in the league for interceptions and 2nd for tackles this season. I haven't checked Propper's stats from previous seasons but I'm certain they don't come close. Propper has been a good player for us and shouldn't be described as 'not very good', but your comparison to Bissouma feels incomplete.

Lets not compare him to Bissouma.

Bissouma replaced Dale Stephens as the midfield anchor.

Pröpper in his role as defensive playmaker has been replaced by primarly Gross / Lallana.

I was just comparing on the specific criticisms of 'not scoring or creating goals' and 'gives the ball away a lot'. If the OP is criticizing Propper on these subjects then he will need to criticize Bissouma too, as their stats are very similar and Propper is actually better on some.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Davy P over the years and believe he has been one of our stand out players in the PL. A classy, composed player who has been ready to play out of position most of his time with us. Clearly down the pecking order at the moment for whatever reason and given his quality and age he should be playing first team football and possibly reviving his international career. If he moves on I wish him well and have nothing but good memories of his time in an Albion shirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here