Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Project PLR: We must be ready says Paul Barber

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We have invested in the squad but it doesn't seem to be the right players. Obviously once the injured players are back, then maybe we can see where the tactics are going, but in the meantime, we seem to be struggling.

This. Brought in Andrews, Ward, Chicksen, Conway and Agustien but also turned down big bids for Bridcutt & Ulloa and got Upson back. Of the "brought ins" two are ok, one is for the future and two appear to be disinterested. None are a striker. So far the master plan is eluding me. I just hope Oscar and Burke prove to be PLR when the injuries start clearing up.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
He first mentioned Premier League ready about 6 months ago at one of his monthly dictates, but it had absolutely no substance to it, and it's barely been mentioned since. I suspect the debacle if the summer since he initially mentioned it somehow took over.

What's interesting is that this is a guy who blows a lot of hot, but NEVER leads by example. If you are going to have a goal, a vision, something that the staff can really all strive for together, then you have to have a leader you believe in. His staff are strangers to him because he doesn't talk to them (apart from standing a lectern once a month dictating his personal beliefs i.e attacking smokers among his staff), and they consequently have no belief in him because they are completely disengaged.

So it's all very well telling the press that's what you want and what you want the staff to believe, but if you are doing it with a hand tied behind your back because of how you don't engage with your staff, the vision has no future, and the sound bites are futile.

I've said all along that I have no issue with what Barber is trying to achieve, but that I have absolutely no faith in the WAY he goes about things. I'm afraid he is comfortably the worst leader I have ever come across in my 25 years in business.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
He first mentioned Premier League ready about 6 months ago at one of his monthly dictates, but it had absolutely no substance to it, and it's barely been mentioned since. I suspect the debacle if the summer since he initially mentioned it somehow took over.

What's interesting is that this is a guy who blows a lot of hot, but NEVER leads by example. If you are going to have a goal, a vision, something that the staff can really all strive for together, then you have to have a leader you believe in. His staff are strangers to him because he doesn't talk to them (apart from standing a lectern once a month dictating his personal beliefs i.e attacking smokers among his staff), and they consequently have no belief in him because they are completely disengaged.

So it's all very well telling the press that's what you want and what you want the staff to believe, but if you are doing it with a hand tied behind your back because of how you don't engage with your staff, the vision has no future, and the sound bites are futile.

I've said all along that I have no issue with what Barber is trying to achieve, but that I have absolutely no faith in the WAY he goes about things. I'm afraid he is comfortably the worst leader I have ever come across in my 25 years in business.
Very easy to believe and not nice to hear. Will it ultimately matter that he isn't good at talking to staff and making them feel valued - maybe, maybe not? Certainly explains his unusual fondness of e-mail as a means of communication.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The way they are being told to sit down, shut up and get on with it. Their concerns are being ignored. Bosses that stop listening to their staff will never get the best out of them.

Sounds almost dictatorial to me, not good for staff morale at all

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Very easy to believe and not nice to hear. Will it ultimately matter that he isn't good at talking to staff and making them feel valued - maybe, maybe not? Certainly explains his unusual fondness of e-mail as a means of communication.

Yeah it's interesting the staff weren't wildly fond of Ken Brown, but at least he spoke to them and knew who his staff were. This guy is aloof and disengaging, and nothing more than a bean-counter and politician. Explains his time with the FA.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I haven't seen anything of note from Conway, Chicksen or Agustien yet.

Conway - Signed as cover.
Chicksen - Injured when actually needed, but used as a back-up for Ward.
Agustien - Injured, then unfit.

None have actually had a chance to show their worth yet to be fair....

Some people on this thread need to realise that we arent a small club anymore and we wont be run as a small club either. They also need to realise that you arent actually going to be relegated after 11 games, especially with lots of injured players :facepalm:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Some people on this thread need to realise that we arent a small club anymore and we wont be run as a small club either. They also need to realise that you arent actually going to be relegated after 11 games, especially with lots of injured players :facepalm:

Nonsense, anyone who hasn't set their sat-nav for Shrewsbury, Stevenage and Crewe is a DELUDED OPTIMIST.

Barber out, Bloom out etc etc.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He talks the talk,but he`s not walking the walk.We have one striker that is capable of scoring on a regular basis in this division and apparently we do not have the financies to resolve that situation,that being the case the club need to stop bullshitting and raising fans expectations.Tony could have got the club promoted last season or the season before as Cortese did for Stains but he chose not to ,BHA are a 2nd / 3rd division club why can`t every one just accept that.

Haven't seen your posts for a little while. Hope it is a long time before I see another as you do, and always have, talked crap.

There's only one area where we need to be 'Premier League Ready' - at isn't in the Ticket Office.

Wimbledon were ready for the top flight when they got promoted to the old first division but that didn't last because they had no infrastructure behind it. Are you unable to see that?

Yeah it's interesting the staff weren't wildly fond of Ken Brown, but at least he spoke to them and knew who his staff were. This guy is aloof and disengaging, and nothing more than a bean-counter and politician. Explains his time with the FA.

Explains what about his time at the FA?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
*Mutters to self: I must not got involved in this thread. Remember your blood pressure*.

*Wonders to self: How long can I restrain myself?*

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Having had both verbal and written correspondence with him, the last thing I would call him is aloof and disengaging.

That's because you're not a member of his staff. Don't get me wrong, the guy speaks as well as any convincing politician would, he is just trying to achieve what he is without getting the very people he needs on side, his workforce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here