Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Project PLR: We must be ready says Paul Barber

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
*Mutters to self: I must not got involved in this thread. Remember your blood pressure*.

*Wonders to self: How long can I restrain myself?*

Quite, I've been reading this and other related threads thinking some of these punters are going to make themselves ill, getting in a lather over our current situation, mid table in the Championship, state of the art stadium, 26k crowds, new training ground. There's no denying we have an unfortunate injury crisis and it is strange that we haven't found a loan striker but that's hardly time to panic.....................

Maybe having the benefit of so many years supporting The Albion through many highs but also some very deep lows and even a couple of times on the brink of the abyss gives a sense of perspective. Yes our current position is disappointing after our excellent form going into last seasons play offs. Yes I will get a bit twitchy if we do slip into the bottom three. But that is a little way off just yet and even then I would be optimistic with so many key players to return from injury that we will rapidly ascend back towards our true level. There are still so many games to go that we even have a chance of making a run towards the play offs like Bolton did last season. My glass is still half full.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bean-counter and politician

Hardly just an accountant bean counter type. His time at the FA was marketing and commercial director and largely credited for creating the FA Partners which brought considerably more sponsorship to the organisation than before. He helped create the Englandfans group. He was also credited with negotiating deals with BBC and ITV which, at the time, ensured that some England games remained on terrestial tv.

Seems to me you have a mate at the club who doesn't enjoy the professional way the club is now being run rather than the amateurish way it was, understandably, when at the Withdean!!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Conway - Signed as cover.
Chicksen - Injured when actually needed, but used as a back-up for Ward.
Agustien - Injured, then unfit.

None have actually had a chance to show their worth yet to be fair....

Some people on this thread need to realise that we arent a small club anymore and we wont be run as a small club either. They also need to realise that you arent actually going to be relegated after 11 games, especially with lots of injured players :facepalm:

Chicksen - no if Bruno is fit and in form then Calderon is Ward's back up. Apparently.
Conway - back up to Harley the amount of interest he's shown
Agustien - who's fault is that then?

All three small club signings compared to Bridge, Vicente and Ulloa.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Hardly just an accountant bean counter type. His time at the FA was marketing and commercial director and largely credited for creating the FA Partners which brought considerably more sponsorship to the organisation than before. He helped create the Englandfans group. He was also credited with negotiating deals with BBC and ITV which, at the time, ensured that some England games remained on terrestial tv.

Seems to me you have a mate at the club who doesn't enjoy the professional way the club is now being run rather than the amateurish way it was, understandably, when at the Withdean!!!

I'm not quite sure where to start with all of that - so I won't. Suffice to say that convincing sound bites from a very clever and wordy CE does not equal professionalism, far far from it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know several people who work for the club who are quite unhappy in their jobs at the moment.

It's probably easier to count the number of people that are happy.
Is that not the case in every business?
Especially those that are undergoing modernisation, transformation, etc.

I really don't hold any store by this gossip, esp as at best it's second hand.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wimbledon were ready for the top flight when they got promoted to the old first division but that didn't last because they had no infrastructure behind it. Are you unable to see that?

Eh? They were playing at Plough Lane! There was no way their infrastructure could ever by 'premiership ready'! We're still making the adjustment from Withdean, the division is irrelevant. However if you want to believe all the marketing-speak bollocks that's down to you.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Chicksen - no if Bruno is fit and in form then Calderon is Ward's back up. Apparently.
Conway - back up to Harley the amount of interest he's shown
Agustien - who's fault is that then?

All three small club signings compared to Bridge, Vicente and Ulloa.

Small club signings ?

Chicksen is a promising young player who we didnt actually pay much for, very much cover and one for the future. Conway is on LOAN remember, Harley actually featured a lot too - right up until that god awful penalty miss at Millwall 2 years ago. Agustien on paper is a good player, though concerns must be raised about his fitness.

Bridge, Vicente and Ulloa were signed pre-FFP, so you certainly cant compare them.
??
Christ, you sign players from Premier League clubs and still that isnt good enough - who do you expect, Messi ? Wilshere ? :facepalm:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Small club signings ?

Chicksen is a promising young player who we didnt actually pay much for, very much cover and one for the future. Conway is on LOAN remember, Harley actually featured a lot too - right up until that god awful penalty miss at Millwall 2 years ago. Agustien on paper is a good player, though concerns must be raised about his fitness.

Bridge, Vicente and Ulloa were signed pre-FFP, so you certainly cant compare them.
??
Christ, you sign players from Premier League clubs and still that isnt good enough - who do you expect, Messi ? Wilshere ? :facepalm:

So you've started off by dismissing the idea that they're small club signings. Then you've admitted one is a cheap gamble on the future, the second is on loan and the third is only good on paper (I'm not actually sure I'd want to see him play on paper never mind grass). Adding a facepalm doesn't make you right.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Small club signings ?

??

Also Dobbie and Wilbrahim are Premier League players. The point - obviously - of my post is that we have signed LESS Premier quality players this season. I don't expect Messi but I do expect them to put in a shift. And if we're going to be Premier League Ready (vomits) we also need more than one working striker.

Nonsense, anyone who hasn't set their sat-nav for Shrewsbury, Stevenage and Crewe is a DELUDED OPTIMIST.

Barber out, Bloom out etc etc.

Shrewsbury are only 7 points outside the play-offs - leave em alone punish:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He talks the talk,but he`s not walking the walk.We have one striker that is capable of scoring on a regular basis in this division and apparently we do not have the financies to resolve that situation,that being the case the club need to stop bullshitting and raising fans expectations.Tony could have got the club promoted last season or the season before as Cortese did for Stains but he chose not to ,BHA are a 2nd / 3rd division club why can`t every one just accept that.

If this is supposed to be a feel good story, it's just failed spectacularly with me. Not feeling at all good about the club or its short term prospects at the moment.

Thankfully, the loan window is still open. We will happily loan you two out to support another club (both 93-day loans and season-long loans are available, but there will be no recall clauses). Just like Mr Poyet and his players, we only want supporters who are committed to the cause and want to be a part of what is being built here. We have good contacts and are sure we can find a promising bandwagon for you to jump on, enabling the rest of us to focus all our efforts on the job of building a strong, healthy club built for long-term sustainable survival. Of course, if you would like a permanent transfer that can be discussed in January.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We have one striker that is capable of scoring on a regular basis in this division....
Who is that then?......I don't know of any in our currently fit and available squad that fits into that category!!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Barber is wary of PLR being taken the wrong way.

He added: “We have kept it internal because, if you are not careful, it can be interpreted the wrong way externally.

The acronym-generating bullshitter (CEO-AGB) has definitely got that bit right. I mean, who in their right mind would risk talking to the local press about such in-house buzzwordery (IBW) & expect a few match-going peasants (MGP's) to refrain from extracting the urine out of such neo-yuppie cobblers (NYC)?

Yep, he da man! :clap:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not quite sure where to start with all of that - so I won't. Suffice to say that convincing sound bites from a very clever and wordy CE does not equal professionalism, far far from it.

So explain the bean counter comment then. To me a bean counter is normally an accountant who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. They normally strip companies to the bare minimum with no regard to the consequences just so long as the books look good.

Eh? They were playing at Plough Lane! There was no way their infrastructure could ever by 'premiership ready'! We're still making the adjustment from Withdean, the division is irrelevant. However if you want to believe all the marketing-speak bollocks that's down to you.

The point I was making was that whilst they deserved their place at the top table from what they did on the pitch, they were on a hiding to nothing because they had no infrastructure behind them and did well to last as long as they did. As for the 'PLR' comments, don't get me wrong, I can't stand management jargon, 'added value' (normally charging for a service someone has already been getting), work/life balance (normally advocated by those that don't have it and in the next breath advising you of the deadline you will have to meet in your own time!) etc etc. However, the actual concept of getting the back room staff to 'raise the bar' is ok as far as I'm concerned as we have come a long way in a very short space of time, a lot further than most clubs have had to cope with.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
So explain the bean counter comment then. To me a bean counter is normally an accountant who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. They normally strip companies to the bare minimum with no regard to the consequences just so long as the books look good.

No need to explain, you've just done it for me.

And ok I will bite. England fans nee Club England was yet another scheme set-up so that the FA could fleece its supporters for a 'membership' masquerading as a benefit. There is not one shred of evidence that anybody or anything other than the FA's own coffers have benefitted. Sound familiar?

And he may well have been successful as a Commercial Executive at the FA, although defining success on a government-backed initiative to keep certain events free-to-air is pretty thin. He boldly claims that the shirt deal we now have with Amex is the biggest in the clubs history and that's all to do with him, blah blah (and yes he has claimed it's him at his monthly dictates), but the reality is given the already significant involvement of said sponsor, any Tom, Dick or Harry could have negotiated that deal.

But even that is by the by. Success on Commercial deals is not a pre-requisite of an effective and engaging CEO. Bean-counter, politician, glorified salesman, call it what you will, the terminology doesn't matter. PLR as a vision won't work because of the apparent lack of ability to communicate effectively with his workforce.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Thankfully, the loan window is still open. We will happily loan you two out to support another club (both 93-day loans and season-long loans are available, but there will be no recall clauses). Just like Mr Poyet and his players, we only want supporters who are committed to the cause and want to be a part of what is being built here. We have good contacts and are sure we can find a promising bandwagon for you to jump on, enabling the rest of us to focus all our efforts on the job of building a strong, healthy club built for long-term sustainable survival. Of course, if you would like a permanent transfer that can be discussed in January.

If you're happy with the current state of affairs, that's your prerogative. I'm not. And btw, I've supported the club for over 40 years through good times and bad lest my commitment to the cause should be doubted. :amex:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
PLR makes sense to me. You're more likely to attract the best if you look like the real deal.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
If you're happy with the current state of affairs, that's your prerogative. I'm not. And btw, I've supported the club for over 40 years through good times and bad lest my commitment to the cause should be doubted. :amex:

Come on Zebedee, you of all people should have a spring in your step.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here