Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Professional footballers from Sussex that never played for the Albion.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Potters mate

Jan 22, 2004
Lewes
Not sure if he's sussex born but Stan Brown who coaches kids in Lewes, used to play for Fulham and was close to an england call up in 65. The England call up information came from my Dad who was prone to exaggeration so may not be accurate!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Roy Brown. Goalkeeper, Knoll School for Boys, Spurs, Reading, Notts County and Mansfield Town.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Not sure if he's sussex born but Stan Brown who coaches kids in Lewes, used to play for Fulham and was close to an england call up in 65. The England call up information came from my Dad who was prone to exaggeration so may not be accurate!

He was Lewes born, but he wouldn't fit in the criterion of this thread seeing as he played for Brighton:

http://thegoldstonewrap.com/2013/08/27/eddie-spearritt-v-stan-brown-before-they-became-team-mates/

Sounds like a lovely chap, judging from what he said about following the fortunes of Brighton even before he played for them!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Kevin Russell (bald midfielder), mainly played for Leicester, and I think scored for them against us; finished at Bournemouth I think. Simon Rodger was from Shoreham (at least Jonathan Pearce used to keep saying he was) - of course he eventually did play for us, but unfortunately played his best football for that lot up the road.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Brighton-born Steve Palmer, who played for Ipswich, Watford and QPR. Also one of the few (if only?) professional footballers to have a degree from Cambridge University. I believe he played in the SE Counties winning youth team though circa 1985?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Brighton-born Steve Palmer, who played for Ipswich, Watford and QPR. Also one of the few (if only?) professional footballers to have a degree from Cambridge University. I believe he played in the SE Counties winning youth team though circa 1985?

Wiki says he is the only one of the 'modern era'. I assume there is a crossover, pre-war, but perhaps not since.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton

He was also the former Head Boy at Dorothy Stringer. I remember the last time I visited Stringer 12-13 years ago, there a picture of him in the lobby wearing a Watford shirt on display as 1 of their 'famous former pupils'.

Last edited:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Paul Batchelor played for Spurs and Haywards Heath may not have made a first team appearance.also I think another Batch may have played for Wimbledon.:salute:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here