Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pro or Air

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Remember that refurbs can't be upgraded, this is done at the start of the build.

Of course they can, treated the same as a new purchase. Although I do note that some new models not have RAM soldered in - so worth a check but shouldn't be any difference between what you do buying new or refurb.

edited.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Thats not the latest model, as Pro's can be upgraded to 16gb ram

Those are the Retina ones I think, they are more expensive. I thought that looked a good deal for a slightly older model?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
i have an air, but if you want to upgrade your macbook with ram and other stuff in the future i'd get a pro, if not then get either

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Yeah that's the Retina one (the newer one) The one I was looking at has a faster processor, more ram and a 1 tb hard drive. But it is an older model.

What problems am i going to get buying an older model?

No problems really, Apple are really good at not screwing you over with new OS upgrades, they are free and work on older machines, unlike microsoft, everytime they bring out new OS you need better specs and it costs you an arm and leg each time.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
i have the 13inch pro retina - in no way is it heavy at all. a lot lighter than the non-retina model, which i found a little clunky - my one is sleek, thin and not particularly heavy (it feels sturdy)

definitely would pick it over the air for what you want - more powerful and sturdier (everytime i handle somebodys air i think im gonna snap it)

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
worth noting with the new apple laptops that the RAM and hard drives are soldered in, so once you've chosen, thats pretty much it, no more upgrading

HDD or SSD can be upgraded even though soldered in, but the cost is ridiculously expensive for the boards as third party. They also allow you to connect old one to new one for extra capacity via a bridge

Itman-dan

Jul 19, 2011
You should probably wait until after the 16th. This is apples next conference where the Mac is rumoured to be announced. Don't know if anybody has said but look on ifixit.com to see how easy it is to upgrade.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have an Apple question as well. I absolutely adore my iPod classic and it has been killed off by Apple. I'm thinking of getting a spare, or maybe two, so when my current machine dies I can continue using a classic. Is this a sensible idea? Will future iTunes be backwardly compatible with the classic in many years to come? Or am I being daft?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
the pro is a beaut of a machine....3 years later, and every bit as awesome as the day I handed 1k over for it.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I was in your position earlier this year. I was running a windows PC that had had its day.
I wanted to try an apple computer as so pleased with phone and iPad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here