Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Preston Park pikeys ...............

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
As much as I share your frustrations over the actions of many of these people, I cannot understand your objections to ensuring that potentially vulnerable children get proper healthcare.

Let them get ill, hopefully they'll slowly die off.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
As much as I share your frustrations over the actions of many of these people, I cannot understand your objections to ensuring that potentially vulnerable children get proper healthcare.

My objection is that the travellers never asked for her help or particularly wanted it but she was up there all the time anyway.

There wasn't any child protection imperative that I could discern...she took it on herself to be a travellers advocate when she was paid to look after the GPs registered patients. They choose to live outside of society when it suits but want all of the benefits of welfare and free healthcare when it's available. She had a job and decided to poke about on caravan sites on the firms time.

I think that sorting out free dentistry and whatnot for travellers was only going to attract more of them to the Parish. I'm not feeling particularly charitable tonight. Forgive me.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
My objection is that the travellers never asked for her help or particularly wanted it but she was up there all the time anyway.

There wasn't any child protection imperative that I could discern...she took it on herself to be a travellers advocate when she was paid to look after the GPs registered patients. They choose to live outside of society when it suits but want all of the benefits of welfare and free healthcare when it's available. She had a job and decided to poke about on caravan sites on the firms time.

I think that sorting out free dentistry and whatnot for travellers was only going to attract more of them to the Parish. I'm not feeling particularly charitable tonight. Forgive me.

Did you get shot of your ex because of her godforsaken liberal mother?

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Introduce visa's from Ireland , only a month long or longer if they can prove they have legitimate reasons to be here . Which ever way there is a big chance of saving a lot of UK tax payers money , i know they are part of the EU but tough .

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
To stay at taxpayer funded sites (foc) that they can vandalize and abuse as they see fit .

From Caroline Lucas

Traveller encampments

16 April 2012

I went along to a public meeting on Friday evening in Patcham, attended by residents concerned about unauthorised traveller encampments in the city in general, and the proposed permanent site in Horsdean in particular.

I sympathise with many people's concerns, and have always made it clear that I utterly condemn any kind of violence, harassment, anti-social behaviour, fly-tipping and rubbish-leaving whoever commits it - travellers or the settled community.

It was helpful to hear from residents, as well as to have the opportunity to explain the action I can take as the local MP to respond to specific complaints - and under what circumstances the police and local authorities can apply for an immediate eviction.

Of course, as we know from bitter experience, clearing sites does not make the problem go away.

It simply moves it, usually only temporarily, to another part of the city or the region.

I think we need a proper solution and one that goes to the heart of the issue, rather than just addressing the immediate visible problems, pressing though those may be.

That's why I have been arguing for a coherent national approach to greater authorised traveller and gypsy site provision, as the only way to deliver long term protection to our much loved parks and green spaces.

I know how furious people feel that their hard earned taxes are spent on clearing up after a minority of travellers.

Nationally £18m is spent each year on dealing with unauthorised encampments.

I don't want us to simply do more of the same, at ever greater cost.

It isn't working, so let's look at bringing the cat and mouse game to an end instead.

More permanent pitches is a step in this direction, which is why I support the local authority's bid to develop a new traveller and gypsy site at Horsdean.

I deeply regret that this issue has become a political football in our city.

The organisers of this meeting publicised it using inflammatory language - that is not helpful and also risks fuelling discrimination.

The Green city council's implementation of the law on moving on unauthorised encampments is identical to that of the previous Conservative administration and it is irresponsible to suggest otherwise.

I will continue to work with my constituents, the police and the local authority to advocate a tough and consistent approach to upholding the law, whilst also lobbying the Government to urgently address the shortage of authorised traveller and gypsy sites nationally.

http://brightonbits.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/horsdean-traveller-site.html

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
More permanent pitches is a step in this direction, which is why I support the local authority's bid to develop a new traveller and gypsy site at Horsdean.

According to the Argus:
Despite such a migration, it became clear that Brighton and Hove City Council’s Horsdean transit site contained just one caravan yesterday afternoon.

The site has space for 23 families, though the council told The Argus last night only ten of these pitches are available due to an issue with drainage.
------------------

There is no point in providing these sites as they don't want to pay to stay, just use the local parks.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I was told by a Policeman that you can go in and move them on but where do they go that doesn't start the whole scenario again?

When the official 'Transit Camp' is ready in Chichester they will have no reason not to evict them swiftly, as they have been provided for there.

Also, if there is a pregnant lady among the group they have to follow certain protocol that carries greater restrictions on what they can do.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Simple question: As I understand it, the long winded process of moving this lot from council land via court order can be fast tracked by the Police using "Section 61" powers. However, they rarely do.

Why?

Last edited:

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I think that one of the reasons they spend so much time in the UK is that their native Ireland has much more draconian laws to restrict their activities?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Simple question: As I understand it, the long winded process of moving this lot from Council land via court order can be fast tracked by the Police using "section 61" powers. However, they rarely do.

Why?

Because travellers are bolshy, time consuming, obstreporous and liable to throw racism and harassment writs around. If I was a copper I would see them as a massive hassle to be avoided too.

Throw in that there is an army of liberal lawyers helping them out for free at every turn and half of their women are pregnant and "vulnerable" at any given moment and you can start to see why they're left alone.

I know that the Police are keen to state that travellers are NOT given special treatment in relation to trespass on public land but we all know that's balls. They're very aware of the law and how to delay being moved on and what they can and can't get away with.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Simple question: As I understand it, the long winded process of moving this lot from council land via court order can be fast tracked by the Police using "Section 61" powers. However, they rarely do.

Why?

Certain conditions have to be met - like there are no 'vulnerable' people in the group and that public safety / a breach of the peace is likely if the group are not moved on.

Sadly the travellers know exactly how to ensure a section 61 is not possible.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Introduce visa's from Ireland , only a month long or longer if they can prove they have legitimate reasons to be here . Which ever way there is a big chance of saving a lot of UK tax payers money , i know they are part of the EU but tough .

Unworkable. You'd affect the 4 million Irish people who aren't travellers.

A more simple way would be to impose a "caravan tax" on the ferries into Fishguard or wherever. Travellers presumably come over via that route rather than fly in with their mobile homes.

An entry tax of 10 grand for all caravans entering without a one month return guarantee. If they go back after a month...they get their doorstep tax back. That should cover the cleanup costs of the overstayers.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
A more simple way would be to impose a "caravan tax" on the ferries into Fishguard or wherever. Travellers presumably come over via that route rather than fly in with their mobile homes.
/QUOTE]

They don't bother bringing one they just nick one when they get here. They are the reason I have to spend so much on security and a tracker on my caravan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here