Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Preparing for the championship

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
Feeding off the crumbs from the top table has its limitations. Personally, not too bothered if we went back to the Championship. We'd be very competitive and have more fun. Expecting Cardiff to go down not us but do think the Championship beckons in the not too distant future.

My mum always said if you have nothing nice to say say nothing! so to ALL the we are going down f**k off and go for palace or a top 6 team one bad game not the end of the world.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
With the run of recent results, and the run in we have, I am resigned to us playing in the championship next season, unless Houghton pulls some sort of rabbit out of the bag.

We dont have the quality or depth in squad to compete at this level. The fault lies at the managers door, and would not trust him to try to take us straight back up in a competitive division. He would have to go.

Best-price 18\1, suggest you get on this in a big way as you’re so sure

6a2b99f6b837249e2fb0e51cb568bf8c.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We’ll probably stay up. But anyone that thinks we will probably pick up points at home to Bournemouth, Cardiff and Newcastle needs to realise that these teams won’t roll over. I can’t think of a decent 90min performance at home since Everton at in December. If Cardiff turn us over (and the pressure will be on big time for that game), I honestly am sad to say I think we are dropping out of the PL.

This.

People banging on about 3 wins on the bounce seem to ignore that one was a dire game against the team that have now been relegated in March, a cup win on penalties against a lowly championship team and of course the Palace match, a team who's home record is nearly as bad as our away record.

We had another dire game yesterday where the team only came to life once we were a goal down. I think we are probably safe, not because we're good enough but because, luckily, others are worse. We'll stay up and do the same thing next season and probably the season after that if we stay up again next year.

As for Cardiff Newcastle and Bournemouth, all three are above on current form over 10 games, Newcastle way above. The crucial game is Cardiff, we must not lose but they will be playing out of their skins to save themselves.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
One thing that does baffle me after promotion TB said we definitely need a few players with PL experience to help the squad. Not one turned up in four windows. Whilst I think we won’t go down I hope this season changes the transfer policy.

Its not the policy that's wrong - not delivering on the policy is the problem.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
we played badly today and lost. previously we won three on the spin. i'm afraid to say some of our fans are crazy.

Lol yes some of our fans are crazy we got out of jail at Millwall . Somehow beating a team lowly in the championship on pens . Barring Utd and palace at home we have somehow papered over the cracks with a poor team the table does not lie . This is Hughton .Do u honestly think if we bought in three or four players next season he would play any different? Look at his history ? Deluded if u think so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
we played badly today and lost. previously we won three on the spin. i'm afraid to say some of our fans are crazy.

Don’t be afraid to say that. Some of our fans ARE crazy. The same people expect us to be in Europe when we win a couple of games and then want to sack Hughton and sell the squad when we lose.

If everyone keeps their heads and backs the team, we will stay up.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Think people start some threads just to be part of the NSC family. Some threads really are just clickbait

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

TBH you've got to dig deep to find the positives from those 3 wins.

Made to look ordinary by now relegated Huddersfield.
2 'moments' against a team with a home record on a par with our appalling away record.
Comfortably second best for 88 minutes against a team fighting Championship relegation.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
'We are not good enough to stay up. It's just there are three other teams that are worse'

Isn't that the very definition of good enough to stay up ? :facepalm:

Last edited:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Yes of course we are down. And after we win at Chelsea we need to book flights for our conquest of Europe. Get a grip.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We'll almost certainly get away with it this year.

As for 2019/2020......

Yup, it's going to need a major injection of proven PL quality in key positions if we're not going to be in exactly the same position (or worse) this time next season. Won't be cheap, but will certainly be cheaper than attempting to do a major rebuild in the Championship and then trying to bounce back up into the top division, which could easily be a long time coming. Far better to consolidate our PL position while we still have the chance. The summer transfer window will be critical.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Why are people responding to this? The poster's last thread said pretty much the same thing and was seen as obvious Palace trolling and moved to Childish Ramblings: https://www.northstandchat.com/show...on-needs-to-go-he-s-taken-us-as-far-as-he-can

The OP even has a snide suggestion that we only got promoted because we were in an uncompetitive division. A division where all three promoted sides stayed up the following season.

Don't respond until the poster tells us how he celebrated taking six points from Palace and announces that Zaha is a disgraceful cheat hiding in plain sight by complaining that he doesn't get protection from referees.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Since getting promoted to the premier league, we have not won more than three in a row. I don't know if that is a psychological block, or normally we won't go more than three games without facing one of the big 6-8 teams in the division. But either way, I know that was on my mind (along with the dramatic cup success followed by league slip up that happens for someone following pretty much every round of the cup), though I was trying to argue to myself that as millwall was a penalty shoot out it didn't count as a win in the same way. That didn't work!

majnoon

Banned
Oct 25, 2014
My question has been on the transfer policy of the club, we have spent £135 million on new players,the standard is very poor in my opinion,the manager has bought rubbish players in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here