Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Premium Bonds - prize pool increased again - you ever have any luck?

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Zero for a few months on the bounce, so not great, although I’m quite relaxed about it. Can’t even remember how much is in there. Maybe £7K, so hardly going to win that often. Biggest I’ve had is £100, be nice to get a big prize one day but not banking on it.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Zero for a few months on the bounce, so not great, although I’m quite relaxed about it. Can’t even remember how much is in there. Maybe £7K, so hardly going to win that often. Biggest I’ve had is £100, be nice to get a big prize one day but not banking on it.

With £7k, you should be average a prize every 3-4 months.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Good month.. £300 on £35k. Wife got £125 on £50k..

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I’ve posted this before on a previous thread, but I borrowed £5k to put towards my current car whilst the interest rates were low, and put the £5k I had saved into PB’s. It was an experiment to see if I could win more than the interest I would have to pay over the 3 year loan term. Anyway, I’ve made at least 3 times the interest on the loan and still have 7 months to go.
As interest rates are creeping up, I suspect ISA’s and whatnot will become better earners, but PB’s have worked ok for me. And it’s been a bit of fun checking the app once a month around the 3rd or 4th
You’ve been lucky, well done. The effective 'interest rate' of Premium Bonds based on average winnings is something below 2%. Anyone able to transfer money into a savings account or ISA can get a guaranteed rate of more than 6% at the moment.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
It’s 4%
Ok, fair enough, I see that NS&I has increased the prize fund to 4%. But (and it’s my fault for using a phrase like 'effective interest rate') this isn’t the equivalent of an annual rate because it’s obviously not guaranteed, and in fact most PB investors will gain less than that, particularly if they don’t have a big stake in Bonds. Martin Lewis explains this much better than me, about how for one person to earn more than the average, a much larger number of people have to earn less than the average, but his conclusion is that for a majority of people, Premium Bonds are a poor investment. What they offer instead is hope. Like buying a lottery ticket, you agree to the statistical likelihood of you losing money in exchange for the off-chance that you might win big. Despite lottery tickets being a poor investment, I confess to occasionally buying one for the reason outlined! Most of us don’t invest rationally.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ok, fair enough, I see that NS&I has increased the prize fund to 4%. But (and it’s my fault for using a phrase like 'effective interest rate') this isn’t the equivalent of an annual rate because it’s obviously not guaranteed, and in fact most PB investors will gain less than that, particularly if they don’t have a big stake in Bonds. Martin Lewis explains this much better than me, about how for one person to earn more than the average, a much larger number of people have to earn less than the average, but his conclusion is that for a majority of people, Premium Bonds are a poor investment. What they offer instead is hope. Like buying a lottery ticket, you agree to the statistical likelihood of you losing money in exchange for the off-chance that you might win big. Despite lottery tickets being a poor investment, I confess to occasionally buying one for the reason outlined! Most of us don’t invest rationally.
In isolation perhaps yes, but they are useful as part of a balanced portfolio, particularly if you have already used up your ISA allowance So can’t obtain the headline rates bandied about. Winnings are also tax free and the investment is very liquid and 100% safe.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
But you don't lose money? You can get back your investment in full whenever you like. A lottery ticket is the opposite.

As an Independent Financial Advice practice in Worthing, we presented a cheque for £1m to one lucky local winner last year.

In my 27 years as an IFA it is the first time that I have met a Premium Bond winner, but with only 24 prizes a year getting the top prize, those odds seem about right

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
As an Independent Financial Advice practice in Worthing, we presented a cheque for £1m to one lucky local winner last year.

In my 27 years as an IFA it is the first time that I have met a Premium Bond winner, but with only 24 prizes a year getting the top prize, those odds seem about right
Really, they don't send an National Savings employee out anymore to do it ? they did when i won

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
In isolation perhaps yes, but they are useful as part of a balanced portfolio, particularly if you have already used up your ISA allowance So can’t obtain the headline rates bandied about. Winnings are also tax free and the investment is very liquid and 100% safe.
You make your own investment decisions, absolutely. It’s not my preference but YMMV. You can get more than 6% on non-ISA savings though of course you’d pay tax on the interest.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
But you don't lose money? You can get back your investment in full whenever you like. A lottery ticket is the opposite.
Well, you actually lose money as inflation is high. Unless you win one of the bigger prizes, or a large number of smaller ones, you will always get back less than you invest. Same principle for a lottery ticket really, except you agree to lose all your money in exchange for a higher reward if you win big. The classic risk-reward relationship.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You make your own investment decisions, absolutely. It’s not my preference but YMMV. You can get more than 6% on non-ISA savings though of course you’d pay tax on the interest.
Not much more than 6…..maybe 6.1/2 before tax and use of PIA…and it’ll be a fixed term…say 1 or 2 years without access

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well, you actually lose money as inflation is high. Unless you win one of the bigger prizes, or a large number of smaller ones, you will always get back less than you invest. Same principle for a lottery ticket really, except you agree to lose all your money in exchange for a higher reward if you win big. The classic risk-reward relationship.
As you do with cash + interest as long as the rate of inflation is higher than your interest rate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here