[Finance] Premium Bonds - prize pool increased again - you ever have any luck?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Mrs D and I have a decent holding: she won nowt this month whereas I won £125 and have won something each of the last six months. My twin boys have a much smaller holding, one of them has just won £100, the other a whopping £500! Theirs gets reinvested into further holdings.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
1x £50 prize for me this month.

Pleased with that as I have a relatively small holding.

Definitely beating even the very best savings accounts this year.
Interesting that you say that it beats what you'd get on (for example) an ISA or one year fixed rate bond.

Some of those quoting their monthly winnings above, I would guess have £50K of bonds.

If you have £50k of premium bonds, you'd have to win approx. £230.00 a month to keep up with an ISA @5.5%

Of course, with an ISA/Bond you don't get the chance to win BIG!

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Interesting that you say that it beats what you'd get on (for example) an ISA or one year fixed rate bond.

Some of those quoting their monthly winnings above, I would guess have £50K of bonds.

If you have £50k of premium bonds, you'd have to win approx. £230.00 a month to keep up with an ISA @5.5%

Also it is a piece of cake to get your money (or however much of it you want) from Premium Bonds with no delay or penalties. With other investments there can be notice periods and suchlike...

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Me this month
PBwin.PNG

Mrs Peteinblack this month
PBwin.PNG

To quote Siouxsie Sioux, "This is a Happy House" :rave:

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire

Spot on.

We have been doing the maths here with our pot(s). We have decided to take an amount out of PB for a year or 2 and invest otherwise with the interest rates up. We will definitely gain on it plus we also have the PB in case we win big.

Definitely be savvy about it currently if you have the ability to move funds about

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Zero this month, and last, but I won 5 months on the trot before that. £9,000 holding so still getting a reasonable return.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Would further guess that most of those you think have 50k of bonds have also maxed out their ISA allowance anyway so would need to look at other options.

Personally happy with PBs as an investment - annual returns over the past couple of years for us have more or less matched the notional interest rate paid, money is pretty much instantly accessible, prizes are tax free and as you say there’s always the chance of a biggun.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
£100 for me from a £6k investment.
The wife has the full £50k and picked up £225.

Cue : what first appealed to you about maximum Premium Bonds-holder Mrs NOBO?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
2 x £100 for me and 3 x £50 for 'er indoors. Not a bad month, at all. :)

Edit: Also, a question for anyone who may know:

I have bought my bonds online for several years now, yet I also hold a couple of thousand from primitive (paper) times.
When I look online, it only shows the amount (in total ) that I have purchased online.
I am near the maximum holding, so how do they know about the other paper ones, or are they not included in the £50K maximum?

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
2 x £100 for me and 3 x £50 for 'er indoors. Not a bad month, at all. :)

Edit: Also, a question for anyone who may know:

I have bought my bonds online for several years now, yet I also hold a couple of thousand from primitive (paper) times.
When I look online, it only shows the amount (in total ) that I have purchased online.
I am near the maximum holding, so how do they know about the other paper ones, or are they not included in the £50K maximum?
They reconcile all holdings….they actually sent me a cheque for £1 which was an old paper bond I had long since forgotten about that someone gave me when I was a kid.

You can add your paper PBs to your account online I think

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
They reconcile all holdings….they actually sent me a cheque for £1 which was an old paper bond I had long since forgotten about that someone gave me when I was a kid.

You can add your paper PBs to your account online I think
That's kinda what I figured, but when I look at my holdings online, the total only
equates to the amount I have purchased online.
Let's say I have bought £45K online, surely my total should read £47K, if they include much earlier purchases?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports