Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier league table

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As long as Chelsea don't better our result by 4 goals next weekend we go into the break ahead of them.

View attachment 153422
Between now and then I will be looking at the table approximately 17,000 times. Nice to see that we've played most of the current top ten as well, the only one we haven't is Arsenal.

4 Would draw them level on goal difference, but we have a better goals scored record. So they need 5 to get a better goal difference.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Its not important because you get or lose nothing from being anywhere between 1-20 a third into the season.
Finishing position is of course the only thing that really matters, just as goals are all that really matter in a game, but the ups and downs, back and forths on the journey can be of interest, even to neutrals.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Finishing position is of course the only thing that really matters, just as goals are all that really matter in a game, but the ups and downs, back and forths on the journey can be of interest, even to neutrals.
I throw a quick look at it every week but the whole "I hope this and this team draw, this team lose, this team win, both these lose" just because it causes a short, temprorary advantage in the table somehow... I don't really see the point tbh. As long as Brighton gets three points on a fairly regular basis it will be fine in the end, regardless of what every other team is or isn't doing.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Its not important because you get or lose nothing from being anywhere between 1-20 a third into the season.
You are totally ignoring the feeling of satisfaction one gets when one sees a great league position, whatever time of the year it happens to be in. A little history lesson here, we had a successful team and then had our dreams dashed when our ground was stolen away from us. We showed a lot of passion as supporters, following our club on a 150 mile round trip from Brighton, had a huge campaign to return to Brighton and build Falmer, without which Dick Knight, Norman Cook and then Tony Bloom's help, would have been quite pointless. Our supporters looked after our club through thick and thin, dossing about in the lower reaches of the bottom division for many years. So yes, the league table is VERY important especially when it shows us as currently the 6th BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You are totally ignoring the feeling of satisfaction one gets when one sees a great league position, whatever time of the year it happens to be in. A little history lesson here, we had a successful team and then had our dreams dashed when our ground was stolen away from us. We showed a lot of passion as supporters, following our club on a 150 mile round trip from Brighton, had a huge campaign to return to Brighton and build Falmer, without which Dick Knight, Norman Cook and then Tony Bloom's help, would have been quite pointless. Our supporters looked after our club through thick and thin, dossing about in the lower reaches of the bottom division for many years. So yes, the league table is VERY important especially when it shows us as currently the 6th BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY!
Some maybe gets that satisfaction, others might not.

Mind you, I don't think I'm losing out - I think when I really start watching the league table (when there's 8 or so rounds to go), I think Brighton will still be in a very nice position in the league table.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Some maybe gets that satisfaction, others might not.

Mind you, I don't think I'm losing out - I think when I really start watching the league table (when there's 8 or so rounds to go), I think Brighton will still be in a very nice position in the league table.
Some posters are irritating runts others make good points.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I throw a quick look at it every week but the whole "I hope this and this team draw, this team lose, this team win, both these lose" just because it causes a short, temprorary advantage in the table somehow... I don't really see the point tbh. As long as Brighton gets three points on a fairly regular basis it will be fine in the end, regardless of what every other team is or isn't doing.
You really are becoming quite the bore, tbh. Anyway, how have the Chelsea board taken to you?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Realistically, we wont get 3 points every week though, and neither will anyone else, if we look at the table and see that Arsenal and Man City are probably not catchable, but they are playing a side that is going to be competing with us for a top 6 space, it makes perfect sense that there is a result that would suit us better, it isn't just short term, those are points they don't get and won't be in their tally at the end of the season. It's not like if we reach a certain number of points we are 4th or 5th or 6th, it is relative to the other sides.
Also, a bit like going a goal up or goal down can change your approach to the game, the relative position of your opponent can make the game a bit more interesting to win for the crowd, which can make a difference in the level of support given, which can make a difference to the result.
You build some hope and excitement on the back of a higher position, which increases the deeper into the season that we get, and that also adds some fire into the support we might be able to muster. I don't expect it to matter so much to you, I doubt you were aware of Brighton much before Potter came here, but 40 years of supporting Brighton, mostly in the lower divisions, makes a high position in the PL a bit exciting for us.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ok to above respondants. The question was "How many times have you checked the Premier League table recently", I said not often as I don't find it particularly interesting at this point of the season.

I understand that this was response was deeply offensive but I'm hoping you'll recover from it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Ok to above respondants. The question was "How many times have you checked the Premier League table recently", I said not often as I don't find it particularly interesting at this point of the season.

I understand that this was response was deeply offensive but I'm hoping you'll recover from it.
Yes, but then you went further and said it isn't important, but final league position is, this doesn't make sense as final position is built on each weeks results.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

But you KNOW what the question actually meant. The OP, like many of us, is very excited that despite losing our manager etc during the season, we're still looking good. The current table does tell us something. So this thread was an invitation for others who are feeling the buzz to join in. Not for a troll to derail the thread and pretend to be indignant because he answered "the question". You know this, but you can't help yourself. You do it time and again.

I hope you hear the point I'm trying to make and don't just treat it as an invitation to try to win an argument.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here