Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League - Project Big Picture

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if the top 6 were to go off to a european league that would probably be best for the rest. back to a more open FL, less reliance on big spending euro competition.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
There are 7 teams I don't care about and don't go out of my way to watch. They are the Top 6 and England. If I never saw them again, I wouldn't care. The top 6 have 95% of the media coverage to the extent that post match coverage of their games rarely mentions the other team and you often wouldn't know who they played. I don't like the attitudes and behaviours of many of the players or the England set up and many of their players. The greed and attitudes is a real turn-off personified by this latest proposal.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
This is what happens when you sell clubs to investors who care nothing about football except its corporate branding.

This is what happens when you sell clubs to investors who see nothing but dollar signs.

This is what happens when you sell to faceless suits who care nothing for 150 years of footballing tradition and history.

This is what happens when 'fit and proper' is defined by a hedge fund's capital worth and not on whether the investors actually know what the club badge looks like.

Football has sown the wind and reaped the whirlwind.

RIP

Very nicely put, Brighton Lines.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
So basically Everton, West Ham and Southampton are used as the patsies for the big 6 to railroad their aims through then cast aside before they realise quite what they've done.

From what I understand Everton are one of the top 6, Man city along with Southampton and one other, make up the 9. It's based on continued season's in the top flight, not how many seasons in total they have been there.

May be wrong of course.

Last edited:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
From what I understand Everton are one of the top 6, Man city along with Southampton and one other, make up the 9. It's based on continued season's in the top flight, not how many seasons in total they have been there.

May be wrong of course.

I think West ham are the 9th.

Absolute Powergrab, shocking but not shocking, hope it blows up inn their faces

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I like the proposed relegation playoff idea.

Premier League relegation. At least 2 clubs automatically relegated annually

Championship promotion: 1st and 2nd automatically promoted.

Club finishing 16th in the Premier League joins four team Championship play-off tournament with teams who finish 3rd, 4th and 5th. Semi-finals would be 16th place PL team vs 5th place Championships team and 3rd place Championship team against 4th place Championship team.

It's an appalling idea. It's the first step on the Premier League being closed shop. It gives the PL club a far greater advantage - one, because they've played fewer games, and two - because they're a PL club with greater assets. As such, it will only ever be two-up, two-down, year after year.

You are supposed to be judged against the teams in your division - NOT the ones higher up.

Didn't they do something similar when the Premier league was being created?

They did it for the first two years of play-offs being introduced - 1989. Then they realised it wasn't a good idea.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I notice in all this proposed change there is one glaring omission ....... not once do they refer to the clubs fans , nothing but business proposals ..... whatever happened to the saying " the game is nothing without the fans " yet they ignore them completely expecting them to back & pay for whatever is decided ..... I suspect revolution will be nearer what happens not an evolution

fans should vote with their feet and not back any club that votes for this by withholding their money and hurting them in the pocket which is all they care about

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Ha ha. So basically the bigger clubs know they are the real product of the league, so want a bigger share. Can’t let the smaller teams get to much of the product for free can they

To the so called big clubs just GO and form your own Euro Lge. Believe you won't be missed.:censored:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
There's clearly a not very well hidden agenda to make the Champions League into an actual league. They keep creeping ever closer to that goal, leaving the EPL also-rans to fight over scraps at the second tier table. Beauty of it is, we can all opt out at any point and invest our time and money in, say, Lewes FC. Get back in touch with why we first fell in love with The Beautiful Game. Creeping ever closer to just saying F*CK RIGHT OFF to the EPL :wave:

This, in buckets and spades...

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

The most explicit 'TOP 6 TAKING OVER' proposals I've ever seen. 2/3 of 9 longest serving clubs control virtually everything of significance.

Why don't they just f*ck off and form their own Super League in Europe?

Negotiation of *PL and Championship* TV rights in the hands of the top 6 means the rich will become richer and the poor poorer.

Whereas there are aspects I agree with (league cup and charity shield can go in the bin), this is the death of football written large.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
EkD27YqWAAAM2k7.jpeg

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Looks like this is just a reveal of a plan that was always going to happen. I think a lot of us have only put up with the PL because of the Albion. I’m not sure that is enough though. I agree with the sentiments about non league football. That may be the way forward rather than take any part in this power grab by the top 6.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Disgusting.

And what does it mean that some clubs have special Status? That means they couldn’t be relegated?

That’s an appalling concept, completely anti-sport and surely one that wouldn’t be accepted.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I was never in favour of the setting up of the Premiare league I don't think it has done anything for the lower leagues teams and I always thought it would devalue the domestic cups and prove to be a to big a hurdle for most teams below the championship to ever climb and so it has proved to be, with the ultimate plan of setting up of a European super league involving only the top six English teams.

This heavily influenced USA propsal is I fear Is the next stage of that plan

Like you, Blue, I argued strongly against the creation of the Premier League. To the points you make in your post, can be added the absolute b*ll*h*t that was spoken about how good it would be for the national team, and a lot of people thought it would be. Well, I'm sure SOME national teams have benefitted, just not ours! I was 10 when we won the World Cup, a feat achieved, let it be remembered, by players from the old Football League. The Premier League has not added to England's trophy cabinet and is now beginning to show its true colours (the red of Liverpool and Man U) as it seeks to further enrich the Top 6 at the expense of the rest of us. What we are seeing now is the totally predictable outcome which I and many others could see coming down the line once the PL was established. It really is feeling more and more like "them" and "us", because the Albion will never ever be a member of the exclusive club which is now on the cards, any more than Villa, West Ham and Stains will be once they've served their purpose.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
All Premier League clubs have the exclusive rights to sell eight live matches a season directly to fans via their own digital platforms in all international territories.

So how long before 1am kick offs for American East Coast Prime Time and 4am kick offs for West Coast Prime Time, combined with lunchtime lick offs or earlier for the Far East.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
That’s the slippiest slope from slippysville I’ve ever seen.

This will not be good for English football. The fact it’s come straight from the owners of Man Utd, and Liverpool doesn’t surprise me at all. Rich people trying to get even richer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here