Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League manager of the season so far?

Your Premier League manager of the season so far

• RDZ

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Gary O'Neill

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Rob Edwards

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • Ange Postecoglu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jurgen Klopp

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Who would you give it to if it was awarded right now?

RDZ - sustained great football, Europa league qualification to the knockouts, still in the hunt for top 6, FAC and EL
Gary O'Neill - remember that Wolves were many people's choice for relegation this season. Instead they're just 3 points behind us, still in the FAC, and frankly looked an excellent side a month ago at the Amex
Rob Edwards - Luton looked doomed not just before a ball was kicked, but well into the season. Since then, their results are all over the place but when they're good they are more than good enough to stay up. And 4th from bottom at this stage is as good as could surely have been expected
Unai Emery - nobody sane likes Villa, but you've got to give grudging respect to what he's done there this season. I don't think we were that poor when they destroyed us 6-1 (unlike at Luton where we lost 4-0), and since then they've taken good teams apart. Notably Man City when a 1-0 Villa win flattered City. Even though they've had a wobble, they're still 4th and arguably on the edge of the title race.
Ange Postecoglu - Spurs were gash last season and had Harry Kane. They're not really gash anymore (although they were at the Amex) and that's without their main goal scorer and dark arts cheat, Harry Kane. I think he's instilled an ethic of hard work that has been missing at Spurs for years.
Jurgen Klopp - he's done it all before but Liverpool were so average for two thirds of last season, I think it would have been easy for him to coast this season on his way out. Instead Liverpool are in a final next weekend, are top of the league and still in all competitions.

I'd include Mikel Arteta but if you have to measure them by the same yardstick as Liverpool, then he's behind Klopp in every metric. And I'd like to include Hodgson but he hasn't quite got them into sufficient trouble yet.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
GON for me. Considering the shambles he inherited in terms of players having left and not really replaced etc, he's turned them into a team that is thoroughly good to watch. Neto especially is some player and seems to be playing with so much confidence. I thought GON was harshly let go by B'muff too. It's also nice to see a young English manager doing well in the PL too.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
O'Neill and Emery have both done well, and are deserving in my mind.

But it'll go to Pep or Klopp, or whoever wins the title. It always fecking does...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
GON for me. Considering the shambles he inherited in terms of players having left and not really replaced etc, he's turned them into a team that is thoroughly good to watch. Neto especially is some player and seems to be playing with so much confidence. I thought GON was harshly let go by B'muff too. It's also nice to see a young English manager doing well in the PL too.
Yes my vote went there too for the reason you outline. I was genuinely impressed with them at the Amex, and feel we were lucky to play them away when we did.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003

Also, O'Neil was appointed in August 2023, and didn't get the benefit of a preseason under his belt. He jumped into the deep end and relatively late to manage a mediocre team. and turned them into a decent footballing side

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Too early to call, as there is a long way to go - but O'Neill, Edwards and Emery are all doing very good jobs.
Well all six of them are doing very good jobs really.

These things are easier to decide at the end of the season once the trophies have been dished out, but I'm interested to know what people think right now. I do feel Klopp is going to be under-represented in this poll simply because he's manager of Liverpool, but if they win the league cup and then either the Prem or Europa League, he'd deserve genuine consideration.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Emery so far this season, i'm hopeful it will all fall to bits though,
O Neill and Edwards are really pushing him though. If Luton stay up, that will really be a superb achievement.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I've gone for Edwards.

We saw yesterday just how hard it is to fashion a mid level championship side into one that can compete in the PL. Edwards has done a terrific job.

O'Neill in second place though. When you consider the terrible refereeing and VAR decisions they've fallen victim to at the start of the season, they've been terrific.

Then Emery. Villa have a top 8 squad and he's got them top 4, so huge credit to the bloke. Hate Villa though.

Arteta, Klopp and Guardiola get given so much money to spend and get so many decisions from referees I find it hard to credit them massively.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Another vote for Gary O’Neill. The turnaround at Wolves since he took over has been incredible. Having said that I’m never really sure whether it’s possible to compare football managers as they all have different remits and limitations on their power within a club. The role has changed so much and we never really see the inner workings of any football club, including our own. Given all of those factors RDZ is going to have to win the Europa League for me to consider switching my vote.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Has to be O'Neill at this point. No preseason with a side who had been badly struggling - huge transformation.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
O'Neil has done a BRILLIANT job so far but that Wolves team have some hugely talented players. Cunha, Neto and maybe Joao Gomes are the next group (after Jota and that man city midfielder) of QUALITY players who will be at top teams. Hee Chan, Kilman, Sa, Ait Nouri and Sarabia are very good PL players. 11th is where I would expect them to be (i tipped them from 9th in my pre-season prediction according to Whatsapp, before the manager left)

The work Edwards has done is just insane. Yes, they are still in trouble but they are in every single game and with that squad. Amazing.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Spare a thought for Roy, keeping Palace above the relegation spots is no mean feat.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Arteta, Klopp and Guardiola get given so much money to spend and get so many decisions from referees I find it hard to credit them massively.
That's why I only included the best candidate of the 3. And as I said before, Klopp's achievements this season will be understated by those claiming that it's all so easy for the big clubs with money.

As an aside, it's interesting that of 33 votes, not a single one of us has voted for RDZ. Despite him losing the best midfield pairing in the league, he's qualifying for the last 16 in Europe, we're 7th place in the league and still in the FA Cup.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
That's why I only included the best candidate of the 3. And as I said before, Klopp's achievements this season will be understated by those claiming that it's all so easy for the big clubs with money.
It's not easy.

But it's easier than Edwards making Luton competitive, or O'Neill getting that Wolves team challenging in the top half.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Def not RDZ, he's not even in the conversation. O'neill or Emery. Probably Emery if they get top 4.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's not easy.

But it's easier than Edwards making Luton competitive, or O'Neill getting that Wolves team challenging in the top half.
But is it? I mean I voted for GON so on balance I probably agree with you.

But if it's that easy, how come Liverpool were about 10th this time last year, out of Europe and basically a bit crap?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But if it's that easy, how come Liverpool were about 10th this time last year, out of Europe and basically a bit crap?
Because they had a midfield of old, slow carthorses, that got outrun and outplayed in most games.

That they ended up with that unbalanced squad was Klopp's own fault, and he deservedly got called out for it. That he has now sorted that, is why they are so much better this year - he deserves credit for doing so - but it really should never have got to the point that such a huge overhaul was required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here