Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League investors hold 'informal discussions' to end 3pm blackout

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm still worried that lifting the ban could severely affect attendances at lower-league and non-league clubs, and in the longer term perhaps restrict their ability to recruit new, younger fans. Those clubs can be pretty marginal in terms of their finances and even a small drop-off in attendances has real consequences.

There are lots of people who currently get their Saturday football fix by wandering along to their local ground, even if they're not die-hard supporters of that particular club. Some of them would probably watch a Premier League game on Sky or TNT instead.

I don't have any facts or figures, I'm just thinking aloud here. I hope that some sort of proper study is done into the impact, and maybe if we do allow 3pm TV games then it's done for a trial period while the effects of it are assessed throughout the football pyramid.
Exactly where I am…interesting post

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
With all due respect, the generation that don't have the technical aptitude to watch a stream are not the future. It's got easier and easier to do, and I can't see how it makes sense for the Premier League to allow IPTV companies to take revenue that they should be receiving themselves.

With regard to local football, I really wish it was played midweek. I watch HHTFC sometimes as well, and I'm sure they would get far bigger crowds if they played when there is no Premier League. Wednesday nights, for example. I'd go to pretty much every game if they did. I'm sure there is probably a reason why it isn't practical, but it would be much better.
Do you see children at these games?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
With all due respect, the generation that don't have the technical aptitude to watch a stream are not the future. It's got easier and easier to do, and I can't see how it makes sense for the Premier League to allow IPTV companies to take revenue that they should be receiving themselves.

With regard to local football, I really wish it was played midweek. I watch HHTFC sometimes as well, and I'm sure they would get far bigger crowds if they played when there is no Premier League. Wednesday nights, for example. I'd go to pretty much every game if they did. I'm sure there is probably a reason why it isn't practical, but it would be much better.
Because the players have full time jobs. Might work for the home team but probably not the away team.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm torn, as I do think the ban is ridiculous given the ease of getting a stream. That said it will have an impact on lower/non-league football.
If they do decide to get rid of the blackout this has to be taken into consideration. Grassroots should not miss out. If I couldn't make an Albion away game but I could watch it at 3pm on TV, NGL I would probably not go and watch a Worthing home game for example.

Maybe an adjustment in kick off times, maybe 2pm for non-league fixtures and then 4pm for PL could allow both to co-exist.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Do you see children at these games?
That's a good point, and one I should have considered, having two football-loving kids of my own. That said, I think the proportion of kids at non-league games is probably quite a bit lower than Premier League games.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That's a good point, and one I should have considered, having two football-loving kids of my own. That said, I think the proportion of kids at non-league games is probably quite a bit lower than Premier League games.
Thanks …..it was just an angle and I take on board the point raised in your reply.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I raised this about a month ago and the streaming is exactly why I think it's outdated. 66% of NSC agreed

(OK, 66% of the 192 respondents but that does suggest folk are either realising the blackout is daft or are ambivalent to it).

Televising 3pm Sat kickoffs makes much more sense than moving kickoffs to late Sunday when away fans can't get home. Would I say that if we were still in League 2 at Withdean? Absolutely. Brighton have always been the team I watch and if we were that low down then Man U v West Ham or whatever would hold no interest whatsoever. As we are in the PL perhaps televising the 3pm Sats would clear out a few of the tedious two teamers we seem to have picked up and allow some younger proper Brighton to attend.
But why is Brighton the team you have always followed?

Why aren't you a Liverpool fan.

I don't know how old you are, but if you're about fifty, then back in the day when you were a kid, watching Liverpool at 3pm on a Saturday would be far more attractive than going to some local fleapit of a ground.

You're a Brighton fan because at 3pm on a Saturday there was nothing else to do but go along to your local team and support them.

The fact that 66% of NSC agreed is no indicator that televising 3pm kick offs is the right thing to do. Keep the ban in place. Do all we can to block streams.

If we take the ban away then the sheer amount of marketing money that will pour into Saturday kick offs and keeping bums on seats will not just hurt Football League clubs and Non-League Clubs, it will hurt some of the less fashionable Premier League clubs.

Next stop will be Chelsea demanding 100% of their TV money when they're at home and 50% when they are away. And so it will go on, and on.

If we don't object to this then we'd be going against integrity in the football structure. I'm sure PBOBE and Tony will say no and try to convince others, but I think they will be in the minority.

These hideous owners are everywhere. Remember when Bolton's owner tried to convince the PL to scrap relegation? That went well for him didn't it. It's why we need the government to step in, because the market will never regulate itself, and consumers are always blind to what is happening to them.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Your idea about Wednesday nights is a good one. There needs to be some answer.

But equally, what if we protected some other time for non-league clubs? Say, 3pm on a Saturday.

I'm being flippant, but a lot of non-league players do play mid-week games already. Also, a lot of non-league players have other jobs and might not appreciate the larger burden of their playing time being pushed into evening kick offs.

I'm sure this will happen, and as this people of this country are so anaethetised to being kicked by the money men we'll do nothing about it.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm still worried that lifting the ban could severely affect attendances at lower-league and non-league clubs, and in the longer term perhaps restrict their ability to recruit new, younger fans. Those clubs can be pretty marginal in terms of their finances and even a small drop-off in attendances has real consequences.

There are lots of people who currently get their Saturday football fix by wandering along to their local ground, even if they're not die-hard supporters of that particular club. Some of them would probably watch a Premier League game on Sky or TNT instead.

I don't have any facts or figures, I'm just thinking aloud here. I hope that some sort of proper study is done into the impact, and maybe if we do allow 3pm TV games then it's done for a trial period while the effects of it are assessed throughout the football pyramid.
Which is exactly what the PL wants, to 'grow their brand', hoover up the thousands that support these community clubs.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

With respect, I'm only mid 40's! Not dying out yet. Not keen on clunky, illegal streams, and I wouldn't think I'm in the minority as I often attend non-league games with mates of a similar age and their kids. But if it was above board on Sky/TNT at 3pm, I would definitely watch, to the detriment of local football.

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven
I vaguely remember reading somewhere about the idea of moving lower league kick-off times to midday which would save them the cost of floodlights and giving them the possibility of showing the 3 PM PL games in the clubhouse, which would generate more income for them. I think the majority were in favour of the idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here