Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League investors hold 'informal discussions' to end 3pm blackout

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've not seen this mentioned anywhere.

Nothing imminent it seems, due to the upcoming tender process for the next cycle of TV rights, but it does feel as though it is only a matter of time before there's a change here. If nothing else, the prevalence of streaming from abroad, where all Premier League games are shown live, makes the blackout seems slightly nonsensical.
Premier League owners have held 'informal discussions' over ending the Saturday 3pm television blackout, according to a new report.​
Currently broadcasters are in England and Scotland are unable to show live matches between 2.45pm and 5.15pm, in line with UEFA statutes, and that affects games from continental Europe too.​
The current blackout agreement will remain in place until 2029, owing to the terms and conditions set out for the 2025-29 domestic television rights process that is due to go to tender.​
But Premier League owners and investors, particularly those from the US, are reportedly keen to make changes in order to maximise the potential of broadcasting revenue.​

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
All you need to know, the American owners of Chelsea and Manchester United are the ones most in favour of removing the blackout.
Next step full American style rules for the PL, no relegation, different rules of PL to rest of the world, to allow for Television Time Outs, kick off times to be when the prior televised games ends, or something like 3.04pm to allow for more commercials......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've not seen this mentioned anywhere.

Nothing imminent it seems, due to the upcoming tender process for the next cycle of TV rights, but it does feel as though it is only a matter of time before there's a change here. If nothing else, the prevalence of streaming from abroad, where all Premier League games are shown live, makes the blackout seems slightly nonsensical.
Premier League owners have held 'informal discussions' over ending the Saturday 3pm television blackout, according to a new report.​
Currently broadcasters are in England and Scotland are unable to show live matches between 2.45pm and 5.15pm, in line with UEFA statutes, and that affects games from continental Europe too.​
The current blackout agreement will remain in place until 2029, owing to the terms and conditions set out for the 2025-29 domestic television rights process that is due to go to tender.​
But Premier League owners and investors, particularly those from the US, are reportedly keen to make changes in order to maximise the potential of broadcasting revenue.​

I raised this about a month ago and the streaming is exactly why I think it's outdated. 66% of NSC agreed

(OK, 66% of the 192 respondents but that does suggest folk are either realising the blackout is daft or are ambivalent to it).

Televising 3pm Sat kickoffs makes much more sense than moving kickoffs to late Sunday when away fans can't get home. Would I say that if we were still in League 2 at Withdean? Absolutely. Brighton have always been the team I watch and if we were that low down then Man U v West Ham or whatever would hold no interest whatsoever. As we are in the PL perhaps televising the 3pm Sats would clear out a few of the tedious two teamers we seem to have picked up and allow some younger proper Brighton to attend.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it not the Premier League rule to decide, the rule is there to protect the lower leagues. the EFL are happy to lift the restriction. therefore we'll probably see the this lifted once everyone agrees.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
if all 3pm KOs were televised but there was a guarantee not to play games on a Sunday night, i would be supportive

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm still worried that lifting the ban could severely affect attendances at lower-league and non-league clubs, and in the longer term perhaps restrict their ability to recruit new, younger fans. Those clubs can be pretty marginal in terms of their finances and even a small drop-off in attendances has real consequences.

There are lots of people who currently get their Saturday football fix by wandering along to their local ground, even if they're not die-hard supporters of that particular club. Some of them would probably watch a Premier League game on Sky or TNT instead.

I don't have any facts or figures, I'm just thinking aloud here. I hope that some sort of proper study is done into the impact, and maybe if we do allow 3pm TV games then it's done for a trial period while the effects of it are assessed throughout the football pyramid.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Yep, I'm supportive of this and think this will be the inevitable outcome.
You can watch loads of Premier League matches in Australia, etc. but only a selected handful in the UK? I don't think it makes sense, and there are also illegal streams which viewers can access.
I understand some of the factors involved with this as said in previous comments, so it would be good to have a trial first and see how that will affect attendances throughout English football.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Yep, I'm supportive of this and think this will be the inevitable outcome.
You can watch loads of Premier League matches in Australia, etc. but only a selected handful in the UK? I don't think it makes sense, and there are also illegal streams which viewers can access.
I understand some of the factors involved with this, so it would be good to have a trial first and see how that will affect attendances throughout English football.
It does make sense if you understand the original reason for not showing live 3pms in the UK — to protect lower league/non-league football attendances. People overseas are irrelevant in this regard.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
It does make sense if you understand the original reason for not showing live 3pms in the UK — to protect lower league/non-league football attendances. People overseas are irrelevant in this regard.

yes- I can't really afford to watch Brighton on a regular basis. My solution is to go to watch Worthing/East Preston

Would I stay at home to watch Brighton on TV instead of doing that? Probably not

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
F*** off Boehly.

Leave our game alone. You've done nothing except buy some brilliant Brighton players who you've turned into some very ordinary footballers
Corrected for you :thumbsup:

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I'm still worried that lifting the ban could severely affect attendances at lower-league and non-league clubs, and in the longer term perhaps restrict their ability to recruit new, younger fans. Those clubs can be pretty marginal in terms of their finances and even a small drop-off in attendances has real consequences.

There are lots of people who currently get their Saturday football fix by wandering along to their local ground, even if they're not die-hard supporters of that particular club. Some of them would probably watch a Premier League game on Sky or TNT instead.

I don't have any facts or figures, I'm just thinking aloud here. I hope that some sort of proper study is done into the impact, and maybe if we do allow 3pm TV games then it's done for a trial period while the effects of it are assessed throughout the football pyramid.

I completely agree with this. I don't think the argument that games are available in U.S., Australia or Malaysia washes here. Or that everyone can then consequently watch a stream. I don't have the technical aptitude or attitude to be bothered to learn how to work around the blackout to watch 3pm games. When I have tried the endless pop ups or laggy streams have put me off.

Consequently I have either listened on the radio to our games, or popped along to local football at Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill or Hassocks with the kids. IF I could watch our game live on Sky/TNT at that time, no way would I go to a local match. Same for 90% of the crowds for local football I reckon.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes- I can't really afford to watch Brighton on a regular basis. My solution is to go to watch Worthing/East Preston

Would I stay at home to watch Brighton on TV instead of doing that? Probably not
just because they might be allowed to show games at 3pm, wouldn't assume they'll have blanket coverage of every game. more likely to just have the Big Match on main TV channel, with a selection of others spread across different subscription services. then everyone can complain about how much it costs to watch all the games.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It's amazing this hasn't happened already, given the money-spinner that it would be. The legislation made sense when it was made, but it doesn't anymore.

Just let me buy a Brighton TV season ticket please. I reckon that would probably stop me attending 2-3 games a season that I would otherwise attend. Which would give an opportunity for others to attend in my place, there are plenty of them.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I completely agree with this. I don't think the argument that games are available in U.S., Australia or Malaysia washes here. Or that everyone can then consequently watch a stream. I don't have the technical aptitude or attitude to be bothered to learn how to work around the blackout to watch 3pm games. When I have tried the endless pop ups or laggy streams have put me off.

Consequently I have either listened on the radio to our games, or popped along to local football at Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill or Hassocks with the kids. IF I could watch our game live on Sky/TNT at that time, no way would I go to a local match. Same for 90% of the crowds for local football I reckon.
With all due respect, the generation that don't have the technical aptitude to watch a stream are not the future. It's got easier and easier to do, and I can't see how it makes sense for the Premier League to allow IPTV companies to take revenue that they should be receiving themselves.

With regard to local football, I really wish it was played midweek. I watch HHTFC sometimes as well, and I'm sure they would get far bigger crowds if they played when there is no Premier League. Wednesday nights, for example. I'd go to pretty much every game if they did. I'm sure there is probably a reason why it isn't practical, but it would be much better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here