Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League investors hold 'informal discussions' to end 3pm blackout

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
Sunday trading although not it's intention effectively does that though doesn't it ?

Fair point, although it's not quite the same as Sunday trading hours apply to all shops of a certain size, not just the most popular store in the country.

The PL blackout to me feels more like banning the most popular West End show from performing on a Saturday or a leading taxi service on a Friday night or closing the most popular coffee shop chain on Monday mornings - all while their competitors can trade. None of those would be accepted by the companies in question, so why shouldn't the PL be able to sell TV rights for Saturday afternoons?

Last edited:

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I don't hate the concept of the blackout.

However, the issue for me, is with the amount of money people pay these days to watch the Premier League with the need of subscriptions to TNT and Sky, you can only watch around 60% of games due to the 3/4/5 3pmers not being available despite the rest of the planet being able to watch them.

Reactions: A1X

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
What are the likelihood that people that go to local games will stay at home and watch TV games? Small I would guess
That's the crux of it really - and why I agree that a trial period might be a good idea.

How many of those who attend local lower/non-league games do so because they can't watch their "main" team on telly vs how many go because that's the only team they support and/or enjoy the overall experience of live lower/non-league football?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Fair point, although it's not quite the same as Sunday trading hours apply to all shops of a certain size, not just the most popular store in the country.

The PL blackout to me feels more like banning the most popular West End show from performing on a Saturday or a leading taxi service on a Friday night or closing the most popular coffee shop chain on Monday mornings - all while their competitors can trade. None of those would be accepted by the companies in question, so why shouldn't the PL be able to sell TV rights for Saturday afternoons?

I think the answer to that it's a sporting league and not an uncontrolled free market.

If you want to go down that route, you would insist (for instance) that clubs are allowed to negotiate their own TV and streaming rights.

Brighton ( as well as the majority of clubs ) would not be viable PL entities if they had to arrange their own rights. The vast majority of income would be gobbled up by Liverpool, the two Manchesters and Arsenal and everyone else would be fighting around for scraps.

The rest of the teams just to even try and complete would probably come together and sell their games as a package, but the income would dwarf that of the direct to consumer pay per view buccaneers.

So even within the Premier League they are already "controls" that allow other clubs to be viable. The blackout is simply an extension of that philosophy to lower leagues.

Last edited:

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I don't hate the concept of the blackout.

However, the issue for me, is with the amount of money people pay these days to watch the Premier League with the need of subscriptions to TNT and Sky, you can only watch around 60% of games due to the 3/4/5 3pmers not being available despite the rest of the planet being able to watch them.

Yep and you can be sure that Sky and TNT will be charging you even more to watch the 3pm Saturday games, as the Premier League will be looking for increased payment from them. The only constituent that wins financially from this is the premier league, and the leaches that hang on to suck money out of the game.

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
I think the answer to that it's a sporting league and not an uncontrolled free market.

If you want to go down that route, you would insist (for instance) that clubs are allowed to negotiate their own TV and streaming rights.

True, I guess I'm a hypocrite when you put it like that because I wouldn't like to see your second paragraph become reality. I can see the argument for it (how many TV subscriptions are sold to people who want to watch Man United versus those who want to watch Bournemouth for example?) and if we all supported one of the most popular teams we'd probably all be calling for it too, but it would undoubtedly ruin the sporting contest.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
True, I guess I'm a hypocrite when you put it like that because I wouldn't like to see your second paragraph become reality. I can see the argument for it (how many TV subscriptions are sold to people who want to watch Man United versus those who want to watch Bournemouth for example?) and if we all supported one of the most popular teams we'd probably all be calling for it too, but it would undoubtedly ruin the sporting contest.

It would have changed now but somebody in the past modelled how much income Manchester United could earn if they sold games direct to the consumer.

They worked out they would earn more money in 2/3 games than they did from Sky etc.. in a whole season.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I can't think of any other industry where the market leader is banned from operating at a peak time in order to give free business to its smaller competitors. Remove the blackout and let every club sink, swim or adjust.
Horrible PL fan attitude, and very shortsighted if you don't see the reciprocal relationship between the different levels of the football pyramid. People have short memories. Brighton would have gone out of business years ago if it had been "sink or swim".

All this would be fine if the PL Clubs yes including us give a fairer share of the TV money to the lower leagues, I think they should

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Interesting thread. It takes me back to the sanctity of Sunday, and all the fear and loathing that arose when it was suggested that supermarkets might open on Sunday.

How long did it take before the impenetrable barrier (of ribbons) around the supermarket booze section that was in place till Sunday pub opening time was rescinded?

Let's face it. In a few years time this will all be forgotten.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
That's the crux of it really - and why I agree that a trial period might be a good idea.

How many of those who attend local lower/non-league games do so because they can't watch their "main" team on telly vs how many go because that's the only team they support and/or enjoy the overall experience of live lower/non-league football?

It may have been on some dullard's podcast but I think I heard that on big Champions League nights, attendances across the EFL are usually down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here