Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes agreed for a one off test, but if everyone involved is being regularly tested (twice per week?), then the testing regime as a whole stands up as a practical alternative to more widespread isolation requirements for the group as a whole when individuals test postive.

True, mathematically the more frequent the tests the less likely someone is ultimately going to slip through the net with a false negative. However, that person (who has had multiple tests until testing positive) will have had the potential to infect others for longer. As [MENTION=41330]Pierre the Painter[/MENTION] has said; we will have to see what happens.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
True, mathematically the more frequent the tests the less likely someone is ultimately going to slip through the net with a false negative. However, that person (who has had multiple tests until testing positive) will have had the potential to infect others for longer. As [MENTION=41330]Pierre the Painter[/MENTION] has said; we will have to see what happens.

I guess anyone else who has picked it up will eventually test positive and be pulled out at that point. The Bundesliga experience suggests that this does work, and a wider outbreak across a squad has not happened yet.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
5 Subs rule approved !

Up to 9 players allowed on the subs bench.

Bad news for teams weak on depth like Villa and Bournemouth.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I know Villa and Muff had injury problems before the lockdown, West Ham as well. Will be interesting to see who actually benefits from the extended break in the end.

exactly this , expect Bournemouth to be ok now have players back. Villa boosted also.

Nightmare when you actually look at the fixtures of what we have to do to stay up

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Flamengo have 38 positive coronavirus tests and Vasco have 16, effectively ending the Rio de Janeiro State Championship's hopes of a June 14 return in Brazil.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just dropped in by accident on the Benfica match for the last 20 minutes. Very clean, open game. Little dissent, no rolling on the pitch banging the ground in agony. A bit sterile, but the PA operator worked the crowd noise well, feeding in a few whistles and boos when he though the ref gave the wrong decision against the home team, Benfica. Ground was decorated with home scarves draped across each seat, no away scarves at all to maximise home advantage. Cramp kicked in a few times after about 75 minutes reflecting fitness levels. I guess if all the teams are in the same boat, it's a way to tidy up the season. Hopefully the Premier League will play out neatly with no change to the current positions, then nobody can argue too much about the methodology or the outcome. And we'll stay up!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Flamengo have 38 positive coronavirus tests and Vasco have 16, effectively ending the Rio de Janeiro State Championship's hopes of a June 14 return in Brazil.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ludicrous that Brazil are trying to play football when they haven't even hit the peak of their virus yet.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I know Villa and Muff had injury problems before the lockdown, West Ham as well. Will be interesting to see who actually benefits from the extended break in the end.

Yep. It’s a totally different season within a season.

I was thinking about out starting 11 and other than Ryan, Dunk, Propper and Maupay (assuming they’re all fit enough), I wasn’t confident about what it would like at all. It could be totally different to the first 6/7 months of the season for all we know.

That’s also why I don’t understand why people are so negative about our chances of staying up, no one knows what’s going to happen. It is now more unpredictable than a start to any new season.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
As squads go I think we've got a good cover for every player that starts a match , for instance if we pick our usual lot which nobody ever knows theres our possible 9 subs .

Button
Bernardo
Duffy
Schelotto
March
Jahankbash
Connolly
Bissouma
Izquierdo.

I'd be happy with that bench all day long .

Team

Ryan
Montoya
Webster
Dunk
Burn
Stephen's
Propper
Trossard
McAllister
Maupay
Murray

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
our possible 9 subs .

Izquierdo.

I'd be happy with that bench all day long .

Isn't he still in Colombia recovering from injury? Not seen even a glimpse of him in any of the photos. I don't expect to see him involved at all this season, in fact I'd say there is more chance of Andrew Crofts being named in a match day 20.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Isn't he still in Colombia recovering from injury? Not seen even a glimpse of him in any of the photos. I don't expect to see him involved at all this season, in fact I'd say there is more chance of Andrew Crofts being named in a match day 20.
As it stands the Colombia land borders are shut, and there are no flights out until Sept 1st.

He's probably not able to come back this season.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
A bit sterile, but the PA operator worked the crowd noise well, feeding in a few whistles and boos when he though the ref gave the wrong decision against the home team, /QUOTE]

Maybe there should be five vocal supporters from each team giving their opinion to the PA operator during the match that would liven it up a bit!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I was told he's running around like a unchlorinated chicken , as to his whereabouts I do not know , ok so if he's not available because he's not a member of a formula 1 team and unable to get a travel dispensation permit then that spot can be filled by Lamptey , pretty good subs bench that .

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The possibility of localized lockdowns asked about in the daily briefing. Some studies have concluded the R number is higher in the North West than elsewhere. I wonder whether this would mean neutral venues for clubs in this area.

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The possibility of localized lockdowns asked about in the daily briefing. Some studies have concluded the R number is higher in the North West than elsewhere. I wonder whether this would mean neutral venues for clubs in this area.
No. The R number for people who are being tested twice a week is close to zero, and the Brighton players and officials won't be meeting anyone else. They'll be inside the ground, locked away from the public, before they even step off the bus.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Minute variations at present.

82149C89-279E-44D0-941F-B0DD2445B267.png

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

There's also the matter of the 25-man squad which was named in February - Izquierdo isn't in it, so couldn't play for us even if he was fit...

.. other clubs in similar boats e.g. Tom Heaton at Villa

*premier league might (probably will) allow this to be changed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here