Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Agree that this is good news. Also with the Track and trace scheme underway any players that test positive will be easily isolated together with those they have been training with (now that they are back in full contact training), so this should reduce the likelihood of spreading of the virus too much further.

Government launches NHS Test and Trace service
New guidance means those who have been in close contact with someone who tests positive must isolate for 14 days, even if they have no symptoms.

So according to the rules, NO Spurs players should be training for the next 14 days...............

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Agree that this is good news. Also with the Track and trace scheme underway any players that test positive will be easily isolated together with those they have been training with (now that they are back in full contact training), so this should reduce the likelihood of spreading of the virus too much further.

So, if a player tests positive does that mean the whole group they contact trained with will have to self isolate for 14 days?

*Just seen someone asked same question as me a minute previous!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bournemouth v P*l*ce will be the BBC's first match on Saturday 20 June.

Expected to get highest-ever viewing figure for a live Prem match. *vom*

And we’ll all be amongst them - cheering on Palace.. *more vom*

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A Spurs player tested positive, very early days but since a return to contact training we've had 0 and 1 positive result, whereas previously we had 6, 2 and 4. This is all excellent news and shows if anything the return of football is not proving to be a health risk, it is a benefit, I am sure players are now taking extra precautions away from the training field and those who are picking up the virus are being tested and quarantined whereas preeviously as the absolute vast majority in such a low risk group are asymptomatic would be carrying on their lives and risking spreading the virus further.

We don't know it's a player either..............could be one of the wider team

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Government launches NHS Test and Trace service
New guidance means those who have been in close contact with someone who tests positive must isolate for 14 days, even if they have no symptoms.

So according to the rules, NO Spurs players should be training for the next 14 days...............

I don't think that's correct. How do you define close contact? If someone tests positive in a typical workplace will they shut the entire premises down? They deem close contact to be in close proximity for 15 minutes or more I believe. All players are wearing GPS trackers so they can monitor who has been within the risk area for more than 15 minutes (remembering that as the training is all outdoors that risk area mightr be slightly different to an indoor environment). Additionally all players/staff will be re-tested within a few days, whereas that is not happening in the wider population hence the need for all close contacts to isolate.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
So, if a player tests positive does that mean the whole group they contact trained with will have to self isolate for 14 days?

*Just seen someone asked same question as me a minute previous!

Under the guidelines - Yes. If you as a general member of the public got tested and were positive you'd be asked who you had been in close contact with recently (so they could be advised to self isolate) according to the guidelines so presumably an infected player would have to do the same and abide by the same rules.

But I believe most current contact training has been in small groups of around 5 so would probably see only 5 players having to isolate.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Under the guidelines - Yes. If you as a general member of the public got tested and were positive you'd be asked who you had been in close contact with recently (so they could be advised to self isolate) according to the guidelines so presumably an infected player would have to do the same and abide by the same rules.

But I believe most current contact training has been in small groups of around 5 so would probably see only 5 players having to isolate.

Plus possibly managers/coaches/physio's etc etc.

I suspect clubs would retest the affected persons fairly pronto and assuming negative would then forget the isolation. I have seen it suggested that for the general public one way around the isolation requirement would be to get yourself tested and again if negative then forget it.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
the first two lines of my quote are from the Government website.

Under the rules, NO Spurs players should be training for the next 14 days and all should be self isolating.

According to the govenment:

Close contacts are:
◾people you spend 15 minutes or more with at a distance of less than 2m
◾people you have direct contact with - such as sexual partners, household members or people with whom you have had face-to-face conversations at a distance of less than 1m

So you think EVERY Spurs player will have spent 15 minutes or more within 2m of the person who tested positive??

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't think that's correct. How do you define close contact? If someone tests positive in a typical workplace will they shut the entire premises down? They deem close contact to be in close proximity for 15 minutes or more I believe. All players are wearing GPS trackers so they can monitor who has been within the risk area for more than 15 minutes (remembering that as the training is all outdoors that risk area mightr be slightly different to an indoor environment). Additionally all players/staff will be re-tested within a few days, whereas that is not happening in the wider population hence the need for all close contacts to isolate.

Plus possibly managers/coaches/physio's etc etc.

I suspect clubs would retest the affected persons fairly pronto and assuming negative would then forget the isolation. I have seen it suggested that for the general public one way around the isolation requirement would be to get yourself tested and again if negative then forget it.

Testing is not an adequate replacement for isolation. False negatives occur in 1in 5 cases.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-52906909

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
And we’ll all be amongst them - cheering on Palace.. *more vom*

I'll be cheering on Bournemouth.

We'll get the points we need. No problem. No need to be looking at other teams results, much less cheering on Palace.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Close contacts are:
◾people you have direct contact with - such as sexual partners, household members or people with whom you have had face-to-face conversations at a distance of less than 1m

So you think EVERY Spurs player will have spent 15 minutes or more within 2m of the person who tested positive??

Fair point - but how many other sports realistically do you spent 15 mins within 2 meters of a colleague or opponent?

By that token basically any sport should be able to resume, bar possibly rugby.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Testing is not an adequate replacement for isolation. False negatives occur in 1in 5 cases.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-52906909

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, footballers are not isolating unless they come into close proximity enough to be deemed at risk (according to the GPS trackers thet wear). If there is a spike at a training ground after someone has tested positive (possibly Tottenhasm this week) I'll accept that the evidence would then suggest isolation is required. My personal opinion is it is unlikely, and the good of tracking and testing (13 so far caught and detected and isolated so far which would not have been known had football not returned) will outweigh the possibility the odd person gets it after a positive test by their colleague.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Close contacts are:

Football have separate rules, government approved anyway..................the paper extended to 7 pages - we can't apply the rules in place for the general public to project restart - they have their own rules.

Last edited:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I'm confident we're good enough to stay up comfortably. I won't be cheering on Palace.
Putting the rivalry aside, it would be much more in our favour for Palace to beat Bournemouth.

Wasnt it around this time last season when we were in a similar position in the table? Palace went on to play and beat Cardiff. If Cardiff won that match, our final league position may have been very different.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here