Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Play those 2 games, hope for a Man City defeat.

Play the first Liverpool game so they can win the title.

And then call it all off, job done.

:rock:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Now apply that same logic and numbers to the UK population. That would equate to 198,000 new cases. Still think it's safe?

Edited to add: I've seen the same logic said about the Premier League testing. Saying that only 0.43% of test have come back positive since they started. In the same week, that would equate to 283,800 people testing positive nationally.

....and bear in mind around 30% of tests are believed to result in false negatives (and that's of those taken in a controlled environment)

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
....and kill a vulnerable relative of any of them.

A footballer living with a vulnerable relative will either go and live somewhere else or he won't play. That's the way all of us who live with vulnerable relatives do it - work from home (obviously not an option for a footballer), furlough, or live away from home.

A footballer who doesn't live with a vulnerable relative will carry on not visiting as he has done all along. Either way, there is no risk to the vulnerable relative.

Where there might be a risk is where an apparently non-vulnerable relative gets the virus. For that, it's the same risk as all working people have. And again, if the footballer considers that too much of a risk, he can go on furlough. (He could probably sit at home and still demand full pay under a footballer's contract, actually. But there would be a moral issue with that one, I would think.)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A footballer living with a vulnerable relative will either go and live somewhere else or he won't play. That's the way all of us who live with vulnerable relatives do it - work from home (obviously not an option for a footballer), furlough, or live away from home.

A footballer who doesn't live with a vulnerable relative will carry on not visiting as he has done all along. Either way, there is no risk to the vulnerable relative.

Where there might be a risk is where an apparently non-vulnerable relative gets the virus. For that, it's the same risk as all working people have. And again, if the footballer considers that too much of a risk, he can go on furlough. (He could probably sit at home and still demand full pay under a footballer's contract, actually. But there would be a moral issue with that one, I would think.)

Yes, all that is STBO.........but apart from healthcare professionals, I'm not aware of any other group of employed people that are yet knowingly not social distancing though. Footballers are taking more risk than most other people that have gone back to work - admittedly mitigated in part by regular testing (accepting the known limitations of testing)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Play those 2 games, hope for a Man City defeat.

Play the first Liverpool game so they can win the title.

And then call it all off, job done.

:rock:

I realise that's a light-hearted post, but allied to ££££, Project Restart was done for the TV viewing public to watch the relegation battle and I suppose the race for CL places. Liverpool had the title in one and half hands many months ago and a null/void season was never on the cards.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Yes, all that is STBO.........but apart from healthcare professionals, I'm not aware of any other group of employed people that are yet knowingly not social distancing though. Footballers are taking more risk than most other people that have gone back to work - admittedly mitigated in part by regular testing (accepting the known limitations of testing)

Your last sentance really should put an end to all this.

Bring it on. Correct decision with safety at the forefront

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Your last sentance really should put an end to all this.

Bring it on. Correct decision with safety at the forefront

Interesting they've put the outstanding games in hand first - maybe over-analysing, but by getting all teams on the same number of games means it would be a slightly easier set of decisions to make re relegation etc if all teams have played the same number of games, so if they need to pull the plug sometime before the final end to the season they can...................

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Interesting they've put the outstanding games in hand first - maybe over-analysing, but by getting all teams on the same number of games means it would be a slightly easier set of decisions to make re relegation etc if all teams have played the same number of games, so if they need to pull the plug sometime before the final end to the season they can...................

That really only becomes relavent if the season was curtailed after these next two games, otherwise there is always likely to be someone behind step, unless each round of games is going to be played on the same day until the season is finished...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That really only becomes relavent if the season was curtailed after these next two games, otherwise there is always likely to be someone behind step, unless each round of games is going to be played on the same day until the season is finished...

Not necessarily, from what I've seen the games are going to be chunked into 2 consecutive days (Sat/Sun and Tue/Wed) so they'd be able to kill the season on any Monday or Thurs/Fri with all teams on the same number

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Depending on how they schedule the fixtures for the first weekend, remembering Liverpool need 6 points, the could win the league at Everton. This is their first game but Man City could have played twice by Sunday 4 pm.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
FA Cup games being rescheduled today. Champs League will be a mini tourney in August.

Basically, with Euro 2020 next summer, it's going to be nonstop footy for a long, long time. Wonder how they will schedule some breaks.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Depending on how they schedule the fixtures for the first weekend, remembering Liverpool need 6 points, the could win the league at Everton. This is their first game but Man City could have played twice by Sunday 4 pm.

Doesn't sound possible for Liverpool to win the league at Goodison even if results favour them. On Fivel Live this morning it was stated, just before an interview with Murray, that games would be played at the original venue except for a few select matches on the advice of Police. No way will Liverpool be anywhere near home when they win it imo.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
FA Cup games being rescheduled today. Champs League will be a mini tourney in August.

Basically, with Euro 2020 next summer, it's going to be nonstop footy for a long, long time. Wonder how they will schedule some breaks.

Yes it all seems like a bit of a needless, non sensical rush to get everything back to the usual schedule which seems a bit silly. Great if this season is safe to restart but I can’t see a logical reason why this season has to be rushed so much and everything can’t just be pushed back a bit more after the end of this season.

The world is looking a very different place post Covid where many things will be different to how they were before so why shouldn’t the football schedule change?

Also, the World Cup is going to take place in November/December 2022 so I’m a little suprised that European football hasn’t used this to change their calendar, at least for the next 2/3 years, and run the seasons from January - September.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
It looked like they were going to ditch the neutral grounds idea? I guess that will be announced along with the fixtures / TV allocations imminently... #BACKSTRONGER

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It looked like they were going to ditch the neutral grounds idea? I guess that will be announced along with the fixtures / TV allocations imminently... #BACKSTRONGER

Thought the clubs rejected it........from what I'm hearing the whole proposal (grounds, dates, fixtures, protocols etc) is awaiting Government approval.................

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Doesn't sound possible for Liverpool to win the league at Goodison even if results favour them. On Fivel Live this morning it was stated, just before an interview with Murray, that games would be played at the original venue except for a few select matches on the advice of Police. No way will Liverpool be anywhere near home when they win it imo.

I find this quite sad. I am no Liverpool fan by any means but if it pans out they get to win it at home they should have the opportunity to do so, even behind closed doors. Football fans being treated as 2nd class citizens who can't be trusted as usual.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I find this quite sad. I am no Liverpool fan by any means but if it pans out they get to win it at home they should have the opportunity to do so, even behind closed doors. Football fans being treated as 2nd class citizens who can't be trusted as usual.

It is very sad for Liverpool FC. I am sad for the people of Liverpool who have waited for this moment for a long time, and when on the cusp of winning it so gloriously, they have been denied the chance to celebrate and revel in it properly. I have mates who are Evertonians who are sympathetic to Liverpool (imagine us being like that with palace!). When they win it, the celebrations will definitely fall flat in my opinion. This season will not go down as Liverpool's wonderful triumph etc etc etc....but forever be remembered as 'that year' or the coronavirus season. The fake ending to it is a sham. I appreciate that the clubs need to continue for money purposes, but it is a very sad state of affairs that this is the single reason the charade is continuing. Such a shame that football can't cut its ties with TV and betting, it would be a lot poorer fiscally, but a lot richer in spirit. In my opinion of course.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Summer FA Cup. Weird!

Qquarterfinals - June 27-28
Semifinals - July 11-12
Final - August 1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here