Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Have you factored in the "pre season" the players will need to get back to top-flight fitness after three months in lockdown?

No. But as the conditions would be the same for every team, it would be a level playing field.

Personally, I think that there'd need to be a lot more time to finish this season and more time for the next - I was just working out the absolute minimum amount of time that would be needed.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
No. But as the conditions would be the same for every team, it would be a level playing field.

Personally, I think that there'd need to be a lot more time to finish this season and more time for the next - I was just working out the absolute minimum amount of time that would be needed.

Agreed! and to your point, that's probably when the PFA would get involved as well. There's no way they would let their members go from sitting on the sofa all day to playing top-flight football.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Come on Gwylan. You can't be serious -surely? That's like saying we attach 5kg weight to all players; but it's ok, because
they're all the same.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
A lot seems to be being made of the need to resolve this, as Liverpool were clearly cantering to the title. Here's an idle thought.

If it's not possible to complete the season and it's declared null and void, why not give Liverpool the trophy. I mean really give it to them. To keep. The Premier League can make a new one for subsequent seasons. Their name would not appear in the history books but they would have something tangible to show for their domination this season.

Would this be enough to placate the most militant scousers*?

Of course not

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Why is everyone so concerned about Liverpool....or any of those sort of clubs ????

They have lauded it at the top table for donkeys years with money coming out of their ears. Players earning 150k + a week. Trophies galore meaning they have had to build trophy rooms in their £2 million houses. Range Rovers bought and paid for them, glamour model wags, ....how much more do they want ???.

It's quite extraordinary the thoughts that have been put forward on this thread to extend the season for these 'poor' souls.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

You have the added complication of the Euros next summer.

Top flight players will have zero rest time if this season is extended to much

I don’t count this as rest time

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Why is everyone so concerned about Liverpool....or any of those sort of clubs ????

They have lauded it at the top table for donkeys years with money coming out of their ears. Players earning 150k + a week. Trophies galore meaning they have had to build trophy rooms in their £2 million houses. Range Rovers bought and paid for them, glamour model wags, ....how much more do they want ???.

It's quite extraordinary the thoughts that have been put forward on this thread to extend the season for these 'poor' souls.

I know, right. It looks like the whole system, the clubs, the players etc has been built on something so unsustainable that it can’t cope with a 30% hit to the top line. Shameful. And not to be looking after those less fortunate, the lower paid, the smaller clubs, because of their collective greed is a disgrace. On the season, it’s not finishing.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
They won't be able to play until January 2021,, which will be perfect to complete the current season (2019/20) in a safe and relaxed fashion.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
They won't be able to play until January 2021,, which will be perfect to complete the current season (2019/20) in a safe and relaxed fashion.
Writing off all of next season's TV income, but still paying the wages.

Yes, that will get lots of votes at the PL meeting.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
PL clubs and EFL also will need to bite the bullet and collectively reduce players wages in order for them to survive rather than keep up the charade of this season finishing. The wages are very obscene when a large percentage of the workforce are furloughed for the foreseeable and some poor souls losing are their jobs completely.
Clubs doing their upmost to pay the players full wages over their everyday workforce need to give their heads a wobble

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
PL clubs and EFL also will need to bite the bullet and collectively reduce players wages in order for them to survive rather than keep up the charade of this season finishing. The wages are very obscene when a large percentage of the workforce are furloughed for the foreseeable and some poor souls losing are their jobs completely.
Clubs doing their upmost to pay the players full wages over their everyday workforce need to give their heads a wobble

These players are under water tight contracts whereas most staff will not have this luxury. Until the players volunteer it there is not a lot clubs can do. What they can do though is help staff more, I’m tasking owners here. Thankfully our owner and that worm at Spurs seem to be polar opposites. £3m bonus for stadium completion? Wasn’t it a year late?!!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Come on Gwylan. You can't be serious -surely? That's like saying we attach 5kg weight to all players; but it's ok, because they're all the same.

As I said.

Personally, I think that there'd need to be a lot more time to finish this season and more time for the next

Just to re-emphasise: this is not what I want to happen, nor what I think will happen. I was just putting forward the barest minimum requirements to complete this season and get in a full season next year. It's not just the mid-season breaks, I can't see UEFA not allowing for free weekends for internationals either.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Agreed.

And once we're through this current crisis football finances will be totally re-aligned. How many clubs will be willing to pay £50m for a player, and commit to paying him £100k a week for 3 years, when a potential 2nd wave (3rd ? 4th?) of this virus could potentially sweep in again at any given time in the future and completely wipe the game out.

It seemed like the bubble would never burst with football - but covid-19 has just arrived like an almighty great knitting needle to do exactly that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
5live reported today that UEFA who have the overriding say on the timetable of european football, have no intention of making decisions on dates for future club tournaments, finals or in cancelling competitions. The intimation that all of 2019/20, 2020/21 and 2021/22 will be pushed back, if need be.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Good article in The Athletic today about how player contract issues cannot be simply hand waved away like some on NSC want to.

... "Another lawyer, who wished to remain anonymous, said all these issues amounted to the “absolute nightmare” mentioned above and it is why he believes the game will reach a “tipping point” in the coming weeks and realise the season cannot be completed."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here