Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Argus, today :

"But a suggestion to play all matches in London or Birmingham, behind closed doors and with players in quarantined bases, looks a fanciful non-starter.

The Argus understands there is considerable opposition to the scheme among the 20 top-tier clubs, details of which emerged via a report in The Independent late on Sunday."

We're one of the clubs dead against it apparently...............

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Good. All it needs is a decorum of clubs against it and to refuse to take part and the whole thing falls apart anyway

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Which says to me, write of the 20/21 season, and use that time to finish off the 19/20 season

Which says to me, write off (void) the 2019/20 season, and use the time to play the 20/21 season - possibly a shortened version - 19 matches, perhaps?. Not ideal, but all clubs would know what the situation was from the start - which certainly does not apply to the 19/20 season!

Stumpy Tim

Which says to me, write off (void) the 2019/20 season, and use the time to play the 20/21 season - possibly a shortened version - 19 matches, perhaps?. Not ideal, but all clubs would know what the situation was from the start - which certainly does not apply to the 19/20 season!

So you're in favour of ruining 2 seasons, not 1. Makes sense

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The current season is already ruined unless they can play the remaining games with crowds before June 30th when the player contract problems start. They can't do this, so best concentrate on not having next season ruined as well.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

No. This season is done for, dead in the water, no matter how much an ever-decreasing number of die-hards think it can be completed and all will be wonderful. It won't it is fatally compromised already.
I'd like next season to be played in full (probably without cups) - if we can start it in something like the right time, which is highly unlikely. If we can't, half a season is better than none.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Good. It's a ridiculous idea that considers the Premier League in isolation from the rest of the Pyramid. All very well finishing the PL, but it wouldn't be able to start next season without the Championship being concluded as well. This has additional considerations for BHA as we currently have 4 players on loan at Championship clubs that we may well want back in our squad next season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No. This season is done for, dead in the water, no matter how much an ever-decreasing number of die-hards think it can be completed and all will be wonderful. It won't it is fatally compromised already.
I'd like next season to be played in full (probably without cups) - if we can start it in something like the right time, which is highly unlikely. If we can't, half a season is better than none.

As every day passes this is becoming more and more obvious.........the PL will cling on to 'options' for as long as they can, but with lockdown poised to go into several more weeks than the initial 3 trying to complete the season against a backdrop of people dying etc is completely untenable. They should confirm it's scrapped now, and start planning contingency arrangements for starting next season late too.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
This season is over, void. It’s not ideal at all but there really is no better, viable option.

The only reason I can think that the authorities won’t announce it for a while is that they’re hoping the longer it drags on, the softer the blow to the teams who will be disappointed.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
In normal times I would agree for comedy value.

In these surreal times, just call football off because it really does not matter.
Agreed. Football can start again when people stop dying.

Some of these plans are almost as fanciful, selfish ( and dangerous) as dusting off the Anglo-Italian Cup.....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've just done some counting back.

UEFA want to start the EC on 11 June. That means that the season ends with the CL Final on 22 May

That means that if the PL don't play in the FA Cup, the FL and have no breaks for international football (but keep the CL) they would have to start on the 28 November to get the fixtures in (providing they play two every week, including European games and internationals). But the championship would need longer as they have eight more fixtures and would need three weeks to sort out play offs. Let's say they have to start on 21st

Allowing a four week gap, that would mean the previous season has to end by 24 October - three weeks for play-offs and six weeks to finish league would mean that the current season would have to re-start by 29 August.

That's obviously a very tight schedule, I'm not sure that the FA would be happy about no FA cup, GAreth Southgate would really want some international break and there's no downtime for players in that - the PFA may have words. I think that, in reality, the period would be several weeks longer and would have to re-start by 1 August at the latest - but even that would still mean international players playing twice a week for nearly a year, with perhaps just a week off.

So, a lockdown of three months mean that we could complete the season... just. But any longer and we'd have to write if off, the logistics just don't allow it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

UEFA want to start the EC on 11 June. That means that the season ends with the CL Final on 22 May

That means that if the PL don't play in the FA Cup, the FL and have no breaks for international football (but keep the CL) they would have to start on the 28 November to get the fixtures in (providing they play two every week, including European games and internationals). But the championship would need longer as they have eight more fixtures and would need three weeks to sort out play offs. Let's say they have to start on 21st

Allowing a four week gap, that would mean the previous season has to end by 24 October - three weeks for play-offs and six weeks to finish league would mean that the current season would have to re-start by 29 August.

That's obviously a very tight schedule, I'm not sure that the FA would be happy about no FA cup, GAreth Southgate would really want some international break and there's no downtime for players in that - the PFA may have words. I think that, in reality, the period would be several weeks longer and would have to re-start by 1 August at the latest - but even that would still mean international players playing twice a week for nearly a year, with perhaps just a week off.

So, a lockdown of three months mean that we could complete the season... just. But any longer and we'd have to write if off, the logistics just don't allow it

I follow all this apart from the bolded bit. Couldn't the Championship clubs just play their 8 additional fixtures, on the same mid-week slots as the CL fixtures?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

that sounds like a realisitic target for next season to start.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003

Have you factored in the "pre season" the players will need to get back to top-flight fitness after three months in lockdown?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I follow all this apart from the bolded bit. Couldn't the Championship clubs just play their 8 additional fixtures, on the same mid-week slots as the CL fixtures?

Yes, they could but there also has to be three weeks for the play-offs to happen - it would take that long to get tickets for Wembley organised.

The only way to shave time off this would be to have the final as a one-off game at the home of the club that finished higher.

The other option would be to dispense with play-offs for a season and promote the top three (or just the top two)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here