Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League draw kings

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I have never had a problem with a draw in the Premier league. It's defeats I hate. A draw is fine, hard fought game, hand shakes all round, off to the pub.

Playing well and losing, that's what gets my goat...

Draws on the other hand have kept us up in this league many a time

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I have never had a problem with a draw in the Premier league. It's defeats I hate. A draw is fine, hard fought game, hand shakes all round, off to the pub.

THIS. It is ****ing hard to win games in this league when you’re not an elite, elite side. We find it difficult to win but, when we’re at it, are hard to beat.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
THIS. It is ****ing hard to win games in this league when you’re not an elite, elite side. We find it difficult to win but, when we’re at it, are hard to beat.

Indeed. Among all the no win in 9 narrative, I prefer to focus on only 2 losses in same 9 games [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Given that the only decent, consistent striker we've had in the Prem was an ageing Glenn Murray the high number of draws is testament to how well we have defended.

Murray
26 in 96 PL appearances for bhafc
Maupay
23 in 83 appearances
Welbeck
7 in 28

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Murray
Maupay
23 in 83 appearances
Welbeck
7 in 28

Those stats are disingenuous. Murray was better than 1 in 3 in our first two seasons, bagging 25 in 73 with arguably worse service. He needed replacing after that but stayed on for Maupay's first season and got 1 in 23, dragging his stats down.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Those stats are disingenuous. Murray was better than 1 in 3 in our first two seasons, bagging 25 in 73 with arguably worse service. He needed replacing after that but stayed on for Maupay's first season and got 1 in 23, dragging his stats down.

Not sure there's any need for this word.

Muzza obviously the more dangerous goal thread, but hey. Times change and we move one

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Why do you think Maupay and Welbeck aren’t consistent PL goal scorers ? Isn’t it disengenuous to say that Glenn is the only solid striker we’ve had in the PL.

(you might argue that we should have another striker in hope of more goals but Maupay and Welbeck aren’t by any stretch flops and they really aren’t far off Glennon terms of goals and Glenn missed chances too! )

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Murray
Maupay
23 in 83 appearances
Welbeck
7 in 28

As Maupay matures there is every chance that he’ll learn to be as cute in front of goal as GM was. But in terms of pure footballing ability Murray is a better player (imho) and his pre-30 year old self would’ve converted many of the chances missed in the Potter era. Have absolutely zero doubt about that.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As Maupay matures there is every chance that he’ll learn to be as cute in front of goal as GM was. But in terms of pure footballing ability Murray is a better player (imho) and his pre-30 year old self would’ve converted many of the chances missed in the Potter era. Have absolutely zero doubt about that.

I prefer GM but the OP says we have only had one decent consistent striker in the PL ignoring 2 players who’ve scored 30 goals in the last 2 seasons and a bit. I say that Maupay and Welbeck both deserve to be included in that definition.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Yes and no. True that draws have kept Albion up in 19 & 20 but draws won’t move us to a more comfortable place in the table.

There is an almost perfect relationship between number of wins and end of season position, Albion are consistently one of the minority of clubs for which it is not true, but last season only Chelsea, Brighton, Fulham and WBA were higher than they would be on number of wins only, and in each case only by one place in the table,

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I prefer GM but the OP says we have only had one decent consistent striker in the PL ignoring 2 players who’ve scored 30 goals in the last 2 seasons and a bit. I say that Maupay and Welbeck both deserve to be included in that definition.

Agree. I just have a nervous tick when it comes to GM; a sublime goal scoring centre forward who we let leave… for Palace!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Indeed. Easy to ignore this, but Glenn was 30 when he made his PL debut, with a career’s worth of learning on the job.

Neal Maupay was 22...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Indeed. Easy to ignore this, but Glenn was 30 when he made his PL debut, with a career’s worth of learning on the job.

Neal Maupay was 22...

Exactly. And at 22 Glenn Murray was barely even playing in the Football League. At 23 he managed 3 goals in a season at League Two.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They're going to have to snatch the DRAW KINGS CROWN from our dead fingers...

8 - Albion (15 fixtures)
7 - Palace, Southampton, Burnley and Newcastle (14, 15, 14, 15 fixtures respectively)
6 - Leeds (14 fixtures)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We took our eyes off the prize, so it's good to get another draw in the books and keep us on target for the record (17)...

9 - Albion and Southampton (18 and 19 fixtures respectively)
8 - Palace, Newcastle and Burnley (19, 19 and 15 fixtures respectively)
7 - Leeds (18 fixtures)

We need to keep a close eye on Burnley.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Back on track. 10 stalemates in 20 fixtures gives us an impressive 50% strike rate, and we're the first team into double figures this season...

10 - Albion (20)
9 - Palace (21), Southampton (20)
8 - Newcastle (19), Burnley (17)

Five more needed to break our own record of 14, and a further eight needed to break the all-time Premier League record.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If we don't sign a striker we'll break that record this season.

Never has 1-1 garnered so much return.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Back on track. 10 stalemates in 20 fixtures gives us an impressive 50% strike rate, and we're the first team into double figures this season...

10 - Albion (20)
9 - Palace (21), Southampton (20)
8 - Newcastle (19), Burnley (17)

Five more needed to break our own record of 14, and a further eight needed to break the all-time Premier League record.
Who holds the record please?

I find it impressive that we've drawn literally half our games. Quite a record to be aiming for!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here