Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League Covid party players... what shoud happen?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So is taking drugs . if players get tested for taking cocaine they get banned. so they should get some sort of ban for breaking covid restrictions .

Not sure how true it is but a world-class handball player once told me that positive cocaine results are swept under the rug by a lot of sporting/doping associations.. internally justified with drug abuse being a disease or something like that. No idea if he was bullshitting or telling the truth, neither would surprise me.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Not enough Roy Keanes or Gary Nevilles in the PL any more

Yes,you are probably right.
I wouldn't like to be one of those players returning to training with Roy Keane in the dressing room.
You also remind me of a story one of the man u players said in one of those class of 91 documentaries about a few of the players sneaking off to a party and Alex Ferguson heard about it and drove to the party to oik them out and give them a bearing and it didn't happen again.
Maurinhos fury only seems to go as far as he spent 500 quid on a roast piglet as a gift to one of the players.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You know how the PFA have done absolutely frick all, allowing players to go unpaid and clubs to face extinction, while sitting on accounts that would make the Swiss blush.

Well guess what would happen if the PL tried to implement that.

All well and good, but I'll bet the players ave their contracts sewn up so that the club can't stop paying them even when they're banned from doing their jobs (FFS, didn't Arsenal have to pay Tony Adams' wages when he was in prison? - they did pay him anyway, I believe).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The clubs won't do much for financial/contractual reasons. I see no reason why the police shouldn't intervene as laws have been broken, and the CPS and courts to act appropriately and do their jobs properly.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure how true it is but a world-class handball player once told me that positive cocaine results are swept under the rug by a lot of sporting/doping associations.. internally justified with drug abuse being a disease or something like that. No idea if he was bullshitting or telling the truth, neither would surprise me.

Agreed. I’d bet large money on players who have disappeared for injury a bit mysteriously have fallen under these circumstances. But the fact the players are the main assets of football clubs and with millions / tens of millions make it unlikely they’d write off these assets for a misdemeanour

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Milivojevic is an absolute donkey. If he gets banned, Roy will barely be able to believe his luck.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Well it does not look like Mendy will face anything serious at Man City if the words of his manager are anything to go by

Guardiola: "Of course it was not correct what he has done, but don't judge him too much. Maybe many people have done the same."

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I have not read the whole thread (sorry), but you may remember the England v the Barbarians rugby match being cancelled in the autumn because a group of players broke the 'covid secure bubble'.

The guilty players were given 10 week bans, reduced to 5 weeks for mitigation, of which 3 weeks were suspended for a year. Six of the players were given an additional two week ban for giving a false account, along with 50 or 60 hours of unpaid rugby community work.

So effectively the ban was 2 weeks (for complying with the investigation) or 4 weeks plus community work (for not complying).

This would seem a fair punishment to me. However, as elite sports people are supposed to be in a bubble, it strikes me that any 'breaking' of the bubble should result in an immediate 10 day quarantine to protect the rest of the players/staff and reduce the liklihood of the need for postponements.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Around the world, if the American's can fine players for 'conduct detrimental to the league' why can't we?

"Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson has been fined $7,500 by the team for violating COVID-19 protocols at Watson's recent restaurant opening in which "dozens of people," including other Texans players, were photographed indoors without face coverings"

Fine them, ban them, make examples of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here