Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 6-8/11

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Before tonight, I still had a thought that villa could get dragged down to the bottom 5. Seems extremely unlikely now!

The moment they got jammy in staying up, then spent £100m on top of the £145m last season, I knew they would never be relegation fodder. Keep spending vast sums on players and it gets results eventually. They have two multi £B owners, they’ll be in the PL for a long time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t know if you have insider knowledge, or if you’re just guessing.

We have no problem paying the wages for Dunk, White and so on. This is a problem then. If we’ve been in elite league for 4 years and not willing to pay competitive wages.

£28m fee and £70k a week.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ollie-watkins-villa-contract-medical-18730680

The Albion don’t operate in that league, and the vast majority of NSC’ers in the transfer window applauded or emphasised with TB over not doing such business at a time of CV19 destroying club finances.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ollie-watkins-villa-contract-medical-18730680

The Albion don’t operate in that league, and the vast majority of NSC’ers in the transfer window applauded or emphasised with TB over not doing such business at a time of CV19 destroying club finances.
Although I thought Barber had gone mad when I heard him on Talk Shite with the top ten ambitions why even say it knowing we operate in the bottom four budget league. All it did was raise expectations of some supporters who then I guess rightly so spent the summer questioning transfer dealings.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Although I thought Barber had gone mad when I heard him on Talk Shite with the top ten ambitions why even say it knowing we operate in the bottom four budget league. All it did was raise expectations of some supporters who then I guess rightly so spent the summer questioning transfer dealings.

I wish he hadn’t said it, only because my personal view is always to go under the radar. Such words often come back to bite ... several PL owners in the last 20 years spoke of top 4 glory and disappeared without a trace.

Under promise, over deliver.

In fairness PB or was it was TB? was referring to their medium term plan.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Talking of penalties, over in La Liga Real Madrid are 4-1 down to Valencia.

Every Valencia goal has been a penalty. :eek:

How do you score an own goal from a penalty?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Watkins is on 75k i believe, dunno how that compares to Lallana...

I suspect Lallana is on similar money. When club budget for players they take the fee and the wages into account. Lallana cost Liverpool £25million and his value has not gone down that much - not having to pay a fee allows the club pay higher wages while still staying within budget. On the club's balance sheet Lallana is probably valued at £15million. He joined a on 3 year deal and his 'value' will depreciate on the balance sheet by £5million a year over the time of the contract.

P.S. - just had a quick check - apparently Lallana was on £110K a week at Liverpool - doubt he signed for much less when you include a signing-on fee.

This is a breakdown of the current salaries of the Liverpool squad (assuming it is accurate) - https://www.sportekz.com/football/liverpool-players-salaries/

Last edited:

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

Also we would not have got him for that. We would have had to have gone into a bidding war with Villa so would have been significantly in excess of that.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

I think the ambition this season is only to stay up, things have changed. Go for it more next season when hopefully things are more financially secure.

Villas results are all over the place! Win at Leicester, thrashed at home by Leeds, lose at home in a 7 goal thriller vs Southampton and then thrash Arsenal away. Bizarre.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I think the ambition this season is only to stay up, things have changed. Go for it more next season when hopefully things are more financially secure.

Villas results are all over the place! Win at Leicester, thrashed at home by Leeds, lose at home in a 7 goal thriller vs Southampton and then thrash Arsenal away. Bizarre.
Dont forget the Liverpool thrashing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here