[Albion] Premier League 4-6/11/23

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Bamboozled by that, that’s offside isn’t it? Or am I getting the offside rule muddled up??

‘Nothing conclusive’ according to VAR after 5 minutes checking, what happened to however long it takes to get the right decision? They just make things up as they go along.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
So then surely it was?!

I don't get it.
They somehow decided the bloke who might have fouled someone but didn't, didn't play the ball so the player who scored who was in an offside position if he did, wasn't. And the ball that seemed to have no line underneath any part of the ball didn't go out of play. Or might have done but they weren't sure. Or Andy Madley was watching the racing.

Simple, really.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If they can't see anything wrong, why shouldn't they give it?

It's what they do in rugby
Anyone would think you were a Tottenham fan :wink:

Point is, we were told last week that it doesn’t matter how long it takes to make the right decision, as long as it’s correct, that was offside, by the law as I’m aware of it, they bottled it because it was taking too long.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Anyone would think you were a Tottenham fan :wink:

Point is, we were told last week that it doesn’t matter how long it takes to make the right decision, as long as it’s correct, that was offside, by the law as I’m aware of it, they bottled it because it was taking too long.

I said it should be a foul.

But if they can't see anything wrong with it they wouldn't change it, the sentence they used was conclusive proof to disallow.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Invite 50 neutral fans to remotely join each week from home, get them set up in front of their laptop and replay any contentious VAR decisions on their screen and give them a ‘yay’ or ‘nay’ option. Majority wins. If they take more than 30 seconds to decide they’re locked out of the vote.

Will produce significantly fairer results each week.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Another absolutely embrassing day for VAR. Bin it.
It’s a waste of time to even suggest they bin it, it’s useless and not fit for purpose but they’ve invested so much money in it they have no choice but to stick with it, even if it is ruining fans match day experience, they don’t care.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
VAR is fine it’s the operators that aren’t . Dean basically admitted even if they know the correct decision they will still back their mate on the field if he’s called it wrong.
VAR is a protocol that involves operators, if the operators are shit so is the protocol.

Enough is enough, we've given it a fair chance, but it's crap, time to get rid.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's not working overly well, same time taken, same outrageous offsides and odd calls.

Andy Brassell seems to sing VAR’s continental praises on TS, unless that’s changed?

Mocking the PL VAR, in a compare and contrast.

Back to important things …. I guess you’re laughing over Arse losing? It could well be that 2022/23 was Arteta’s one opportunity. He got lucky with a weak Spurs, Manu, Pool and Chelsea, yet still blew the lead. Several bigs clubs have now rebuilt superbly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
VAR is fit for purpose, its the people running it who aren't
But if these are the best people we've got and they're not up to it then surely it does have to go?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
In my opinion VAR is not “fine” or “fit for purpose”. It sucks the life out the game and makes going to games less enjoyable. I’m sure plastics love it as it gives them something else to talk about on Twitter or whatever.

It just needs scrapping. Football was much better without it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports