[Albion] Premier League 29/4 - 2/5/23

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So…do we want Liverpool and Man Utd wins?

There’s just a bit of me that thinks - Man Utd lose tomorrow, then we beat them on Thursday…it couldn’t, could it?
Yes, we bloody well do! The race is now on for Europa League places - the more often Spurs and Villa fail to get ant points, the better.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
So…do we want Liverpool and Man Utd wins?

There’s just a bit of me that thinks - Man Utd lose tomorrow, then we beat them on Thursday…it couldn’t, could it?
Don't be silly - our focus has to be on the 3 immediately above us within reach with our games in hand. MU win all day long in that game please, or draw at least 🙏

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I’m fully aware the race for Euopa is on. If we can play as we know we can in the final 7 games we will make the top 6.

I just can’t help the 10-20% of me that thinks there could be even more. I’m not convinced we’re a worse side than Man Utd tbh.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I’m fully aware the race for Euopa is on. If we can play as we know we can in the final 7 games we will make the top 6.

I just can’t help the 10-20% of me that thinks there could be even more. I’m not convinced we’re a worse side than Man Utd tbh.
This was my line of thinking but the Forest result has put paid to a top 4 finish IMO.

You never know, but I'd just love a tilt at the Europa League. We could actually win that competition you know.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

We might be a better team than Manchester United (but without their experience to grind out undeserved results), but you seriously want them, a team we cannot realistically catch this season, to help out Villa, one of our direct rivals for a Europa place?

Mental......................................

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
An exiting day in the Premier League. All those games matter even if a few don’t really affect us.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Around this time of the season I usually knock up a quick spreadsheet of teams around us, their remaining games and maximum points totals.

Last season apart, since we’ve been in the Premier League I do this to keep track of the likelihood of staying up. This season I’ve done it to keep track of European qualifying! Loving it.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Sunday morning rethink.
100% we need Man Utd to finish top 4 to free up 7th place in Europe. That said 7th only guarantees 1 two leg play off game whilst 6th and above puts us straight into a 6 game league. You could say our two games in hand are Man City (H) and Newcastle (A) where we may be lucky to pick up any points. And that last game away to Villa looks bad.
10:00 watch the recording of full game from yesterday again.
12:00 F1
14:00 Man Utd v Villa with my eye also on the other games.
16:30 Liverpool v Spurs
Plus the snooker on my tablet
From the BBC. The official 'who can qualify'

It's very exciting to see who makes Europe'

While Newcastle and Manchester United appear well-placed to join Arsenal and Manchester City in the Champions League next season, the race for the Europa League and Europa Conference League spots is much more open.

Seven teams can qualify for Europe from the Premier League, but victory for West Ham in the Europe Conference League this term would give England eight continental representatives in 2023-24.

While fifth place is the only guaranteed Europa League spot in the top flight, the FA Cup final between Manchester rivals City and United means an extra place will be granted via the league - unless Erik ten Hag's team drop out of the top five.

Brighton are just two points behind fifth-placed Tottenham with two games in hand
City are all but guaranteed Champions League football already but as long as United do not drop below fifth, the team finishing sixth will claim a place in next season's Europa League group stage.

The only Europa Conference League place is awarded to the Carabao Cup winners but with United - victors over Newcastle back in February - likely to secure a top-five finish, the next-highest team not to qualify for Europe - seventh - would play in the Europa Conference League play-offs.

After Saturday's thumping win, however, Brighton have every reason to be aiming higher.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Sunday morning rethink.
100% we need Man Utd to finish top 4 to free up 7th place in Europe. That said 7th only guarantees 1 two leg play off game whilst 6th and above puts us straight into a 6 game league. You could say our two games in hand are Man City (H) and Newcastle (A) where we may be lucky to pick up any points. And that last game away to Villa looks bad.

While Newcastle and Manchester United appear well-placed to join Arsenal and Manchester City in the Champions League next season, the race for the Europa League and Europa Conference League spots is much more open.

Seven teams can qualify for Europe from the Premier League, but victory for West Ham in the Europe Conference League this term would give England eight continental representatives in 2023-24.

While fifth place is the only guaranteed Europa League spot in the top flight, the FA Cup final between Manchester rivals City and United means an extra place will be granted via the league - unless Erik ten Hag's team drop out of the top five.

Brighton are just two points behind fifth-placed Tottenham with two games in hand
City are all but guaranteed Champions League football already but as long as United do not drop below fifth, the team finishing sixth will claim a place in next season's Europa League group stage.

The only Europa Conference League place is awarded to the Carabao Cup winners but with United - victors over Newcastle back in February - likely to secure a top-five finish, the next-highest team not to qualify for Europe - seventh - would play in the Europa Conference League play-offs.

After Saturday's thumping win, however, Brighton have every reason to be aiming higher.
Wouldn’t 7th place open up anyway if city win the champions league?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
What a difference a week makes, eh?

Cheering on United today to puncture Villa's form. and keep them within a win's reach.

Liverpool and Spurs can draw and both drop points, but failing that, Liverpool to win at home.

Their GD is similar to ours (we've both scored the same number of goals) and they've got a decent run-in with lower half teams.

Spurs on the other hand are there for the taking.

2 wins in the last 8 games (and they shouldn't have won one of them), issues behind the scenes with Kane and a worse GD.

Liverpool and us to finish in 5th and 6th, or vice versa.

And having seen how Spurs stunk out the Conference League last season and failed to get out of the group, Villa for 7th.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
No it wouldn’t. If City finish top 4 and win the CL nothing changes as far as European qualification goes
I thought if city win the champions league, then champions league positions drop down to 5th meaning another European place down to 7th or 8th becomes available?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We might as well hold onto the Champions League dream for as long as possible.

It's the fudging Champions League for fudge sake - and our next match is in MAY.

All the time that's in play, that's where I'm looking, knowing full well the longer I'm concentrating on that the bigger the safety net of Europa League gets.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I thought if city win the champions league, then champions league positions drop down to 5th meaning another European place down to 7th or 8th becomes available?
No, the PL would be given a 5th CL spot if, for example, City won the CL and failed to finish top 4, but there isn't an extra place given if the winners of the CL also qualify through their league position.

Last season Real Madrid won the CL and won La Liga, Spanish clubs didn't get an extra spot for this seasons CL.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sunday morning rethink.

If United drop out of the top four, 5th. and 6th. in the league will still get Europa League places - it's just that United would be one of those two t .eams (and somebody else will take their CL place by taking their place in the top four. Only if they dropped to 8th. or below would someone lose out - they wuld take the 7th. placed team's place in the Conference

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
No. Only 4 clubs in the CL unless a club outside the top 4 win it, which wont happen this year.
5th and FA Cup winners in the Europa League. But as the FA Cup winners should also finish top 4 this means an extra place in the Europa League, namely 6th. Hence we need United to stay top 4.
7th would be the conference. West Ham winning the Conference League makes no difference except putting 8 teams in to Europe next year.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Looking at run in it's difficult to see how Liverpool don't get one of those Europa spots so they can go ahead and maul Spuds as far as I'm concerned. Scrappy Utd win will do too with a few injuries/red cards thrown in for good measure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports